Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

What are 'you' using a skoolie for?

Just curious what folks are using skoolies for.

jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B8000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 24
I am wheelchair bound and I use my Ford/Thomas shortie for all transportation needs.In my 6th year in this rig and think it was the best choice for me. A full sized handicaped van was from 30 to 50 K and I got in mine including the conversion for less than 10 k with a 200,000 mile Cummins, Air conditioning, and auto .
reedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:33 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
We use our Skoolie as an RV and for recreational use. If we ever decide to go full time, we have it and are comfortable with it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181103_135614234_HDR.jpg   IMG_20181025_193051531.jpg  
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:41 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Mine are hobbies, I don’t convert them to homes or campers.. I’m into old busses like some are into old cars.. so I restore or restomod.. upgrade and build and swap drivetrains, electronics..

The red one is nearly a daily driver.. I put more miles on it than my pickup truck.
The DEV bus is a mobile hardware/software geek lab
My superior is a restore to close to original or make any mods look like that could’ve been ordered in 1978

Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Mine are hobbies, I don’t convert them to homes or campers.. I’m into old busses like some are into old cars.. so I restore or restomod.. upgrade and build and swap drivetrains, electronics..

The red one is nearly a daily driver.. I put more miles on it than my pickup truck.
The DEV bus is a mobile hardware/software geek lab
My superior is a restore to close to original or make any mods look like that could’ve been ordered in 1978

Christopher
do you have links to your builds Christopher?
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:41 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
First, we are converting our bus to be a moving van (just about done). After our move, we will make it an RV for trips and as a safety net in the event of natural disasters.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:53 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
When I lived in Florida I learned about “escape pods”. I guess that’s what my bus might be called. I definitely wouldn’t call it a recreational vehicle, RV! Survival vehicle, SV, is more like it.
I’m thinking about two short buses: One old gasser full of tools. And a newer gasser for full timing and going places. But a old cargo trailer full of tools might make more sense than a second bus to maintain. Decisions, decisions.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:37 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Cabin in the woods/beach/desert. Very un-rv inside, more early Goodwill and very comfy.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
no bus yet, but when it happens, it will be a camper/toy hauler - in my case my 'toys' are my sled dogs - for summer trips it will just be used for camping, maybe drag my quad along with us -neither my girl friend nor I are interested in commercial campsites or 'seeing the city' - parking next to a stream or remote mountain lake is more our style
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #10
Bus Nut

I'm planning on a combination oversize conversion van / mini-camper / metal tent.

I want something that's going to hold 4 people and be comfortable for long road trips (4-6 hours) - for example, if I wanted to drive up to Vermont for a day, and just stop at any of the interesting things we pass on the way up. I'm looking at all captains chairs. (That's the conversion van part.)

As a camper, I want something that I could do 2-3 day long trips in. There are a lot of placed I'd like to go within a 500-mile radius or so - so I might spend a day driving to the place, a day or two at the place, and a day driving back. Since the trips are short, I'm okay with a smaller layout.

I want it to have 2 built in bunks (I might have an idea for a third one), so that two people could sleep in it comfortably. Air conditioning is required, I like pretending I'm a penguin. (An antarctic variety.) They're going to be a bit cozy, but still regular twin mattresses. There will be a basic bathroom with a toilet. (If traveling with friends, I feel a private bathroom is needed.) I'm going to have a decent sized kitchen, although I figure most of the cooking will be outside on a grill. (I can live on cheeseburgers, or pre-make things at home that I just need to throw in the oven to re-heat.)

I'd like to size things so that I can run the entire rig on one of the small quiet Honda (or similar) generators. I'll have a small battery bank and solar panel or two for power while driving.

All in a 22-foot bus.

Hopefully I'll be making a purchase soon.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:41 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
We (family of 5) are planning a camper conversion. We do a lot of hiking/camping/general outdoor stuff because we enjoy it, and it is the only type of vacation we really can afford.

I want to expand our travels beyond ME, NH, VT and upstate NY where we spend most of our time. I want to take them out west, places like the desert southwest, yellowstone, tetons, grand canyon, monument valley, northern california, etc, etc, none of us have ever been west of the Mississippi. My job enables me to take 4+ weeks off without too much trouble so I plan to capitilize on that with long trips.

The cost to travel 5 people by plane round trip with baggage for a 2-4 week trip is crazy high and then we need to rent a car/truck/camper when we get out there. 1 trip this way would cost more than many a complete conversion.

I had a very large full size truck and a camper trailer, but the experience of LONG distance (cross country) travel with all 5 of us (12yo, 9yo, 5yo boys + wife and I ) in the cab of the truck is miserable to say the least.

We started looking at class A RV's, but having past experience with RV's and travel trailers I am keenly aware of the fact that they are mainly constructed of hot garbage and wet cardboard, they are also insanely expensive, unreliable, and prone to maintenance nightmares.

Best option? Skoolie conversion. I sold the truck and the camper over the winter and did quite well on both, almost made money on the truck after owning it for 6 years. This will fund the bus acquisition and conversion. We had been looking for a full size RE Thomas, BB, or International with optimal drivetrain for long distance highway travel, but over the last 6 months or so we have fallen hard for Crowns. 35' single axle with detroit 671 and either a 10 speed roadranger or the Allison 643. Hoping to have one by this spring if all goes well.

Planning an evolving build which will begin from the rear with master, opposing twin bunkbeds, small bathroom and small kitchen space. Rest of the space in the front will be open for couch or dinette style seating and perhaps a co-pilot seat depending on available room. Someday solar, someday expanded bonndocking capabilities, etc.
Willie_McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
It's initial concept is to be a RV, this will permit us to visit all of our kids, and take the younger ones along with us. We are a large family both having children of our own when we got together...Think Brady Bunch
Not all of them live with us full time, some visit, some are grown and on their own. This will lets us house all the young ones and travel with them to see the older ones..in a sleeper/bunkhouse type way... And eventually it will likely evolve into a full time living arrangement, whether it's this bus or another...

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Camping and towing trailer with atv's and side by sides.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
A little of everything. We'd like to take some family trips like Dory is on right now. We'd like to go and see family. We'd maybe even like to full-time. Just see where the road takes us....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Chassis: Conventional
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
It's initial concept is to be a RV, this will permit us to visit all of our kids, and take the younger ones along with us. We are a large family both having children of our own when we got together...Think Brady Bunch
Not all of them live with us full time, some visit, some are grown and on their own. This will lets us house all the young ones and travel with them to see the older ones..in a sleeper/bunkhouse type way... And eventually it will likely evolve into a full time living arrangement, whether it's this bus or another...
Actually, when I think TV family in a skoolie, I think Partridge Family.

Mine will eventually be a basecamp for backpacking, a clubhouse, an AirBNB rental, and a deluxe doghouse for those evenings of marital strife. For now, it's a hobby...
Old 04-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
Just curious what folks are using skoolies for.
Right now it's a hole in the driveway I throw money into.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Tow rig for the rally car/24 Hours of Lemons car, 10'x8' workshop in the back for working on said race vehicles, 16.5' of living space up front for long race weekends and occasional vacations. Will have solar (living quarters) and a generator (for shop tools) for power.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
Tow rig for the rally car/24 Hours of Lemons car, 10'x8' workshop in the back for working on said race vehicles, 16.5' of living space up front for long race weekends and occasional vacations. Will have solar (living quarters) and a generator (for shop tools) for power.
Do you know of my buddy Rodney Earwood?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I use mine as Home, sweet Home.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Do you know of my buddy Rodney Earwood?
Name doesn't ring a bell - rally or 24 Hours of Lemons?