Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2018, 07:35 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3 Allison MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
They have some really nice looking conversions pictures. I did notice that they don't appear to pull the ceiling metal and insulate.

Seems like a lot of work and money going into the conversion. Why skip such an important step?

Just my $0.02
I don't know this company and this is just my opinion coming from the tiny home world and having seen their YouTube videos.. They tend to want to show great detail about their builds, but a lack of basic insulation is a red flag for cutting corners.

It appears they are great carpenters and craftsman, but are only really into the money..

I have seen so many tiny home builders jump at the chance to make a quick buck. While their work looked good in real life it didn't stand up on it's own.

Similar to this, why put great thought into a conversion only to have it hot/cold because of a lack of basic insulation.

I would pay members of this community to do some work I couldn't before hiring a group like this. The bigger picture matters to me.

JamieJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
if you have a project that needs done just set up a work weekend and have everything you need ready, most of us will work for food, beverages and friendship.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I have not seen a real need to insulate my roof - I hear a lot of talk about it - but the heat and cold in my bus mostly comes from the windows. I can park in the direct sun in Florida in the middle of August and my ceiling remains relatively even temperature. The white "BusKote" seems to have helps that issue.
The windows, on the other hand, generate a great deal of heat in the summer and cold in the winter.

I have not lived in extreme cold with my bus since moving into it 5 months ago - but I have dealt with some cold. I have avoided staying any where that gets below freezing.

I was hanging out with a few full-time bus folks a few weekends back - and some insulated the ceiling and walls - others partially insulated - and others did nothing. The only difference I noticed was in the heating or cooling source they used. A small wood-stove will keep the bus nice and toasty - as will a propane heater or an electric heater. A good mini-split will keep the bus nice and cool, as will a window unit or a stand up AC - as will a few fans and open windows.

That's my opinion, and I am sticking to it.

Note: Do what works for you - because there is no one right way to do anything.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
i was in florida last feb and march. i was in my insulated bus and several that did nothing, in my opinion the difference was night and day. if your going to live in it insulate it!
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #25

[QUOTE=PNW_Steve;258233]They have some really nice looking conversions pictures. I did notice that they don't appear to pull the ceiling metal and insulate.

Seems like a lot of work and money going into the conversion. Why skip such an important step?

The reason why we don’t always insulate the roof is because it was our clients Choice not to. We recommend spray foam but it’s not in everyone budget. We do all of our builds to fit our clients needs. In our personal bus that we have lived in for over two years we did not redo the ceiling. We took off a panel and the insulation was thick and in good shape. We do not have a problem in winter nor summer. We have a wood stove for the winter and window fans for the summer. We are located in WNC. It is a personal choice and budget issue for some people. When it comes down to it we do what the customer asks for. Hope that answers your question. 😊
Jamesonx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #26

The Great American Farm Tour Bus was built by Blue Ridge Conversions
Old 05-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #27

Thank you!
Old 05-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #28

The reason why we don’t always insulate the roof is because it was our clients Choice not to. We recommend spray foam but it’s not in everyone budget. We do all of our builds to fit our clients needs. In our personal bus that we have lived in for over two years we did not redo the ceiling. We took off a panel and the insulation was thick and in good shape. We do not have a problem in winter nor summer. We have a wood stove for the winter and window fans for the summer. We are located in WNC. It is a personal choice and budget issue for some people. When it comes down to it we do what the customer asks for. Hope that answers your question. 😊
Old 10-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #29

Hi there!
I came across your post because I'm looking for something similar. I saw someone already mentioned that The Great American Farm Tour people had theirs done by someone in NC, just wanted to mention that it was www.blueridgeconversions.org.

We just purchased a partially converted coach bus and need a little help with the rest of the conversion. So if anyone knows of anybody that does that sort of thing in the central Ohio area, please let me know.
Brockjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:21 PM   #30

I work for a school bus operation south of Boston utilizing Bluebird buses of various years...reach out to me via email if you are still looking for help...skyblue1152@aol.com
WrenchTurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, help with building