Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #1

What companies exist that help with school bus conversions?

I'm thinking about buying a bus, and converting it to a cozy home. The only problem is, I definitely don't have all the skills required to do it. Even with the help of friends, I think I'll need some professional over site.

Can anybody recommend some companies that offer help with school bus conversions?

b_bizzle_4_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome!!

You have wandered into a great community with quite a number of very bright, talented and generous folks.

If you don't know how to do it you will find folks here that can show you how.

Where are you located?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #3

Hi - thanks!

I'm in Cambridge, MA, right outside of Boston.
b_bizzle_4_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_bizzle_4_rizzle View Post
Can anybody recommend some companies that offer help with school bus conversions?
I think the services most people use are Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Amazon, and whatever mental health provider their medical insurance will pay for .

No, seriously, the topic has come up before about commercial services. The main issue tends to be that, while most of the tasks needed to convert a bus do have parallels in many industries, the hours tend to make it cost prohibitive to outsource. For instance, the cost of doing a roof raise by yourself or with a couple buddies could potentially be as low as the cost of the metal for the rib extensions and some beefy bolts to stick them in place. If you paid a shop to do something like that, you would be looking at a professional operation with a garage big enough to house a school bus. $100 an hour? Probably more? I'm not even sure. And that's assuming they'd be willing to take on a job like that despite the fear that eventually someone will get injured while walking in the general vicinity of the bus and decide to sue the shop that did the mod.

Now, while we're on that topic of roof raises, there are people who get metal shops to create the brackets and extension pieces to their specs and then do the install themselves. That is a reasonable and economic use of outsourced skills - just hiring people to do tricky fabricating jobs or other things you absolutely don't have the tools or knowledge for while keeping most of the back breaking... er, less skilled labor for yourself.

Like any project, you're looking at a constant compromise between time and money. The difference here is that bus conversions are still a little off the wall. If you were restoring a classic car or souping up a hotrod, you'd find a shop in every town. Services would be at least a little bit boilerplate. Bus building, well, there are no standard services or fees. It's all custom. In business terms, that means all expensive.
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Hi - thanks!

I'm in Cambridge, MA, right outside of Boston.
I am in western mass and about to start my own. I am sure there will be times we could help each other out, if need be.
I am no expert, but I stayed at a holiday inn express one time..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800 Carpenter
Engine: DT360 / AT545
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
I've seen the name Charlie Kern mentioned in Denver. https://wouldyoulookatthatbus.com/

There's a bus on youtube called The Great American Farm Tour. They had their bus built by various people in NC I think.
oredigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Somebody here just did a roof raise and claims to have a bus conversion company. I don't remember his screen name.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oredigger View Post
I've seen the name Charlie Kern mentioned in Denver. https://wouldyoulookatthatbus.com/

There's a bus on youtube called The Great American Farm Tour. They had their bus built by various people in NC I think.
Cool Thank you!
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #9
Bus Geek

This discussion reminds me of the house building experience that my sister and her husband enjoyed.

Michael is a general contractor. His buddies are: framers, plumbers, electricians, cabinet makers etc. So, Michael & his buddies got together and built Michael a house.

When that was done they all got together and built a house for the plumber and then the cabinet maker. And so on....

I may be simplifying it a bit but they worked together as a community and all wound up with homes that they would not have been able to otherwise.

I can see some of that working well in this community.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Jeff and Missy at Discoveringusbus.com has helped me a great bit.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Tell us what you have design wise and then start getting materials together for a build. You have to use your imagination now to finalize what to build. And write your ideas down as they can then be incorporated during different stages of building. Do you have any tools or place to build a bus..long term parking?
Do you own any of the required tools and hardware you'll need?
I guess what I am trying to say it's all up to you to decide.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
There was a member on here a while back that had his professionally done, I will admit he researched & only installed top of the line material, he said he had over
$100,000.00. Yes that's $100,000.00,,, Luckly he has a bussiness that he was able to use as it as a write off on taxes.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I'm thinking about buying a bus, and converting it to a cozy home. The only problem is, I definitely don't have all the skills required to do it. Even with the help of friends, I think I'll need some professional over site.

Charles M
He's in Denver. If you're gona pay top dollar for pro bus work, he's THE MAN.
Google "look at that bus Denver" and you'll find him.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:24 AM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Engine: Caterpillar 3116
Rated Cap: 78?
Quote:

Custom Bus Conversion Denver CO TMS Truck & Bus Services
Scott Marcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #15

Blue Ridge bus conversions in NC

https://www.blueridgeconversions.org/
fdwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdwilson View Post
They have some really nice looking conversions pictures. I did notice that they don't appear to pull the ceiling metal and insulate.

Seems like a lot of work and money going into the conversion. Why skip such an important step?

Just my $0.02
Old 03-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #17

I noticed the same thing. I figured it was to maximize head room. Plus, we living in NC, the winters are mild 80% of the time... I've been trying to find a company myself...
fdwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
They have some really nice looking conversions pictures. I did notice that they don't appear to pull the ceiling metal and insulate.

Seems like a lot of work and money going into the conversion. Why skip such an important step?

Just my $0.02
Because ignorant people don't know any better, and the shop won't offer what they don't want to do. At a conversion shop gutting and insulating might be a budget deal breaker.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdwilson View Post
I noticed the same thing. I figured it was to maximize head room. Plus, we living in NC, the winters are mild 80% of the time... I've been trying to find a company myself...
stupid reason, I'd rather scuff my head than be freezing or cooking all the time. Doesn't matter to me that the winter here in Ga is mild, I don't plan on building it to hang around home.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:13 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
stupid reason, I'd rather scuff my head than be freezing or cooking all the time. Doesn't matter to me that the winter here in Ga is mild, I don't plan on building it to hang around home.
Agree. If it was gonna set I wouldn't build it with wheels on it.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, help with building