Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2018, 01:16 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
What do I need to look for on this bus???

Well the time has come and Tuesday will be going to look at a bus. Its at an auction so I do not know if I will be able to look at it,if not a good friend is. I know some have said look for safety latches to get to start but wondering if there are any batt disconnects I need to know about? Its a 2010 re ic. And I have not been on a bus since high school in late 90,s. Dang I feel old saying that. I am going to hunt up a battery dont know anything else to take that I will need. It is listed as "did not test start" so I have no clues as to if there is a problem. I did call email the bus barn and they said it was a good working order bus before the incident. I may possibly need a intercooler or radiator. Nerves are racing win or lose I just want the auction over. Thanks in advance.

Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
with a bus that new, its suspect as to why the school decommisioned it... most times schools run busses for 10-15 years or more. that one being 8 years old is a bit of a concern.. was it damaged? is it really not running even though the school says it was.. I would want to know it ran good before bidding. is it a MaxxForce DT engine? or a MaxxForce 7? the 7 was probably one of the worst engines made.. be careful..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
Bus Nut

It is a MF DT. The bus barn said a utility truck rolled out of a drive into it. At that point the insurance felt it was not worth fixing. The bus may run its just has a no test start code. Wont know till we get there.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
There are a ton of "young" buses hitting the market these days. As previously noted, the older, all mechanical units generally ran fine until aged out. The '05 and later, computerized engines with tons of EPA smog crap (most of which does nothing to help the environment) have been so problematic that many school districts are dumping then early due to the exorbitant maintenance costs associated with all the electronics, computers and sensors.

Me...I'd avoid them like the plague. Maybe in a few more years they will have the bugs out but for now...no thanks.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I would not want any bus with the MaxxForce engine. Keep searching.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles O Roads View Post
It is a MF DT. The bus barn said a utility truck rolled out of a drive into it. At that point the insurance felt it was not worth fixing. The bus may run its just has a no test start code. Wont know till we get there.
AVOID the MaxxForce engine like the plague it is!!!!! AVOID this engine at all costs!!! It is a piece of aluminum and steel that will cost you BIG time in finances and parts!!!! In Texas we had three of these junk engines. Every last one broke down consistently, and expensively!!!!

AVIOD AVOID AVOID!!!!!!!!

M
Old 04-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #7
Bus Nut

But they have a AWESOME looking chrome/blue badge. No seriously have done countless hrs research on the motor and I like it. Just got to fix the problems by eliminating them. Were heading to look at it first thing in the morning. Dont know if they will let me back there if not having my buddy bring my mavic in so he can stream video back. Main thing I need to know is if there are any main disconnects,fuses/breakers, sensors to keep an eye out for that will keep it from running?
Old 04-11-2018, 01:01 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Well today is the day, 2am and up nervous allready. Looked at the bus yesterday and the batterys were dead to the world hoping they will take a charge if I get it. They had charge end of jan but wondering if the door left open or camera's have ran them down. Oil was spot on and trans fluid looks freshly changed. The back tires were at about %50 and two fronts look to have been on a month or so,all are michlens. Bus has you usuall wear few bumps and scratches and then the rear damage. I would say the intercooler will have a leak on a row maybe two. Plan to remove them for the time to make work and keep eye out for a good one. Then some sheetmetal work that would have to be done anyways with roof raise. I set price in my head and not going to be there so emotions wont get into my bidding. But got my fingers crossed and moving forward with it.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Well...... Now I got to start a new "how to get the bus home thread".
Old 04-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Oh, now you've gone and done it! I'm tellin' Mom on you!
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I'm still trying to figure out why you asked for help? So what did you pay for this non running, body damaged, prone to have electrical gremlins, decommissioned early, dream bus?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Well...... Now I got to start a new "how to get the bus home thread".
what does it do or not do?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:40 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Charged one battery ,bought one battery. Fired right up. Needs some love and sheetmetal work. Also needs 2rows capped on the intercooler and a coupler on it. Going to order 2 couplers and have the intercooler bandaged. Will probably try to find a cheap used one or get them tanks put on a good core.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why you asked for help? So what did you pay for this non running, body damaged, prone to have electrical gremlins, decommissioned early, dream bus?
I was asking for help on what to look for. As close as I have been to diesel this big was an idi ambulance I had. Bus is a new ballgame for me.

Said monies were what I felt fair for the bus,the two people bidding against me were from Georgia and California. So they felt worth the price plus ship across country.

Body damage,,,, ahhh it will buff out.

Electrical problems,ehhhh I own vw's so nothing new to me.

Decommissioned, insurance did that not the bus yard. The other 4 they ordered same time still running. Sure insurance totalled from the estimate from an international dealer to fix. Most things can be straightened only thing I have to rebuild is side vent and cap. And intercooler could used replaced if had to.

Dream bus,hardly. Been watching marathon busses trying to get ideas I can incorporate into my build. Caviar ideals on a romain budget.

All in all pretty excited on the bus. Plan to build the pass through storage to the front and more storage in other places. Rest of it will be pretty text book roof raise conversion.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
I was asking for help on what to look for. As close as I have been to diesel this big was an idi ambulance I had. Bus is a new ballgame for me.

Said monies were what I felt fair for the bus,the two people bidding against me were from Georgia and California. So they felt worth the price plus ship across country.

Decommissioned, insurance did that not the bus yard. The other 4 they ordered same time still running. Sure insurance totalled from the estimate from an international dealer to fix. Most things can be straightened only thing I have to rebuild is side vent and cap. And intercooler could used replaced if had to.

Dream bus,hardly. Been watching marathon busses trying to get ideas I can incorporate into my build. Caviar ideals on a romain budget.

All in all pretty excited on the bus. Plan to build the pass through storage to the front and more storage in other places. Rest of it will be pretty text book roof raise conversion.
I asked because you were wanting to know what to buy and pretty much everyone here said to run away from that bus, yet you bought it anyways. I'll assume you also overpaid for it as you won't reveal what you paid.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:

Do you have pictures?

It would be helpful to have a MaxxForce-engined bus around these parts. They are not well-liked so having an ongoing example to follow would be a useful data-point.

You bought a relatively new bus. The other problem with that is that the more modern buses can go right back into service carrying passengers, and your likely competition was from people hoping to buff out the body and do just that.

School Districts are faced with tough choices. Do they spend $80k on a new bus, or can they get a 2010 bus for $20k and still get 9 or 10 years use from it. That's not the market we shop in.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Do you have pictures?

It would be helpful to have a MaxxForce-engined bus around these parts. They are not well-liked so having an ongoing example to follow would be a useful data-point.

You bought a relatively new bus. The other problem with that is that the more modern buses can go right back into service carrying passengers, and your likely competition was from people hoping to buff out the body and do just that.

School Districts are faced with tough choices. Do they spend $80k on a new bus, or can they get a 2010 bus for $20k and still get 9 or 10 years use from it. That's not the market we shop in.
Will get some pictures up. I gave $3600 for the bus. Afte 500 auction fee,200 broker/bid fee/90 online bid fee and Indiana sales tax paid I came out few dollar's under 4600 with a temp tag. Was a little upset it did not have exhaust brake lineset said it did. Back tires are wore down half life with new on fronts. Michlens all around. Bus was a little dirty inside and everything seems to be in working order. I will do a complete walkthrough with the maxxforce motor. It will be a slow process as money is tight and and programming is 1/3 price gave for the bus. It will end up with dpf/egr/regin delete and turned up @320hp. It is an undertaking and adventure but if no one tried new things we would all be stuck with things of yesteryear.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I love a good adventure - and it looks like you got the deal you were looking to get. Congratulations - don't let anyone discourage you. I have seen all types of buses and engines work - and not work.
It's the old "Ford" versus ""Chevy" debate. I've seen good and bad in both. And heard a lot of regurgitation of the two.

Enjoy your new adventure!

Journey on!
Old 04-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post

That has dead batteries which just about always means it needs new batteries. How about the age of the tires? Has it been sitting outside in the sun since it was damaged? Those tires will be dangerous even if the dates are good.
Finally, what kind of critters have moved in and made a nice home?
This bus has lot against it without even looking at it.

Inquiring minds...
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I love a good adventure - and it looks like you got the deal you were looking to get. Congratulations - don't let anyone discourage you. I have seen all types of buses and engines work - and not work.
It's the old "Ford" versus ""Chevy" debate. I've seen good and bad in both. And heard a lot of regurgitation of the two.

Enjoy your new adventure!

Journey on!
Amen!

If you are happy with it that is what counts.

I look forward to seeing how your egr/dpf delete goes.

I would offer one bit of advice. As you consider HP upgrades remember that longevity decreases as HP increases.

Good luck with your build and post lots of pics.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote