Old 04-09-2018, 01:16 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
What do I need to look for on this bus???

Well the time has come and Tuesday will be going to look at a bus. Its at an auction so I do not know if I will be able to look at it,if not a good friend is. I know some have said look for safety latches to get to start but wondering if there are any batt disconnects I need to know about? Its a 2010 re ic. And I have not been on a bus since high school in late 90,s. Dang I feel old saying that. I am going to hunt up a battery dont know anything else to take that I will need. It is listed as "did not test start" so I have no clues as to if there is a problem. I did call email the bus barn and they said it was a good working order bus before the incident. I may possibly need a intercooler or radiator. Nerves are racing win or lose I just want the auction over. Thanks in advance.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
with a bus that new, its suspect as to why the school decommisioned it... most times schools run busses for 10-15 years or more. that one being 8 years old is a bit of a concern.. was it damaged? is it really not running even though the school says it was.. I would want to know it ran good before bidding. is it a MaxxForce DT engine? or a MaxxForce 7? the 7 was probably one of the worst engines made.. be careful..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
Bus Nut

It is a MF DT. The bus barn said a utility truck rolled out of a drive into it. At that point the insurance felt it was not worth fixing. The bus may run its just has a no test start code. Wont know till we get there.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
There are a ton of "young" buses hitting the market these days. As previously noted, the older, all mechanical units generally ran fine until aged out. The '05 and later, computerized engines with tons of EPA smog crap (most of which does nothing to help the environment) have been so problematic that many school districts are dumping then early due to the exorbitant maintenance costs associated with all the electronics, computers and sensors.

Me...I'd avoid them like the plague. Maybe in a few more years they will have the bugs out but for now...no thanks.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I would not want any bus with the MaxxForce engine. Keep searching.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles O Roads View Post
It is a MF DT. The bus barn said a utility truck rolled out of a drive into it. At that point the insurance felt it was not worth fixing. The bus may run its just has a no test start code. Wont know till we get there.
AVOID the MaxxForce engine like the plague it is!!!!! AVOID this engine at all costs!!! It is a piece of aluminum and steel that will cost you BIG time in finances and parts!!!! In Texas we had three of these junk engines. Every last one broke down consistently, and expensively!!!!

AVIOD AVOID AVOID!!!!!!!!

M
Old 04-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #7
Bus Nut

But they have a AWESOME looking chrome/blue badge. No seriously have done countless hrs research on the motor and I like it. Just got to fix the problems by eliminating them. Were heading to look at it first thing in the morning. Dont know if they will let me back there if not having my buddy bring my mavic in so he can stream video back. Main thing I need to know is if there are any main disconnects,fuses/breakers, sensors to keep an eye out for that will keep it from running?
Old 04-11-2018, 01:01 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Well today is the day, 2am and up nervous allready. Looked at the bus yesterday and the batterys were dead to the world hoping they will take a charge if I get it. They had charge end of jan but wondering if the door left open or camera's have ran them down. Oil was spot on and trans fluid looks freshly changed. The back tires were at about %50 and two fronts look to have been on a month or so,all are michlens. Bus has you usuall wear few bumps and scratches and then the rear damage. I would say the intercooler will have a leak on a row maybe two. Plan to remove them for the time to make work and keep eye out for a good one. Then some sheetmetal work that would have to be done anyways with roof raise. I set price in my head and not going to be there so emotions wont get into my bidding. But got my fingers crossed and moving forward with it.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Well...... Now I got to start a new "how to get the bus home thread".
Old 04-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Oh, now you've gone and done it! I'm tellin' Mom on you!
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote