Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2015, 11:09 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Unhappy What DO you do with THINGS when you travel

Bansil....I saw where you asked and told us where you packed things up when it's time to move on down the road and I though this might be a good thread to start to get everyone's ideas and not just tuck it into a personal conversions thread.

We haven't gotten "on the road" yet so I'm sure the plans I have will change and very possibly dramatically to what I have planned. I currently know this will go here and this will go there ....but will it? I remember in my last bus filling up the sink though I didn't and can't use the bed for breakables as my dogs will be jumping on our beds.

The bottom line is (I hope) for everything to be put in it's place in cabinets & cubbies so when the time comes to get on the road everything is again secure.

Yes, when we get to the next site we will unpack the things we will use and will have all of these empty places in cabinets that I WON'T FILL UP but most likely and possibly will want to put stuff and try as I may not to, most likely will.

So glad the conversation came up.....what are your plans??????

Maybe someones ideas will strike a chord that will fit in your plans....

The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:21 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Have you looked at Museum Wax or Quake Putty? I have no intentions of doing the "pack/unpack" thing. As we laid out the bus, it was with the idea that we would not have to pack up the interior. Every thing has it's own place where it stays when not being used. Even the remotes "live" in one place... on the ceiling. I glued neodymium (rare earth) magnets to the backs of the remotes for the TV and DVD player. I got the idea from the remote for the air conditioner. It has a built in magnet and it sticks nicely to the ceiling. I always know where the remotes are. They are "put up" on the ceiling. The battery operated alarm clock goes in the nightstand drawer.The cast iron burner grates ride in the drawer under the oven. That's about the only "put up" things I've got.Any "decor" is stuck down with wax or mechanically attached. I always had to "pack up" the pop up and the Class C. The bus was different. I didn't want to spend time packing & unpacking. I do have to bring the grapes in before I leave this time. They will travel in the shower stall. Hopefully they won't overtake it. That is really my only thing I need to pack. And one day I will plant the little monsters in a garden. Then they can take that over. I think they are akin to kudzu.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:19 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
I love magnets.

I too epoxy them to various things.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
Bus Geek

haha, I laughed, I just dug through the "sink" looking for "chicken bailing twine for the yard bird I rotisserie'd this morning?"

it's hard..I have hit the brakes so hard I actually flat spotted the back tires, all 4

It now takes us..ugh ..me about 1 beer to get setup, which includes the art gallery and the bedroom..what else do we need?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
Thanks.....I LUV the idea of magnets for the remotes. Are there any strong enough to hold my pots & pans now that I have become a Nuwaver? I use a pot rack here at home and just figured I'd have to give that up I also have always placed my knives on magnet strips (could I possibly still be able to do so?)

I, too as stated have plans for everything in it's place but....will I be able to keep that place open when it's time to move on. Guess I'll just have to work harder to do so.

I have always been a little (lot) OCD on a place for everything....but have found that the older and lazier I get the easier it is to just deposit things anywhere vs. where they should go. I guess I'll need to work on this.

I am concerned on where I will be placing my antique oil lamps. I have had to give up so much that I DO NOT WANT to give them up too. I use them quite a bit here at home, use to use tea lites but found it's cheaper to use my lamps.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:52 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
My princes auto store carry's a fair number of different size magnets at a good cost.

The bigger the magnets, the bigger / more heavy object it will hold, as long as the metal it's stuck to is thick enough to hold the magnet.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Just remember, if you stop suddenly when someone unpredictably cuts you off, either because you hit them or you hit the brakes hard (I've done both), everything in back that is not secured becomes a missile.

Fortunately, in the one accident my ankles were surrounded by tools from the back of the van, but nothing has ever hit me in the back of the head.

If you are still in the design phase, you can put in drawer and cabinet latches with push-button or pop-out releases. You can build bulkheads, either behind the driver's head, or just dividers near the floor to bungee storage crates behind.

When packing, clearing the counter tops, putting things low, and using the depression of the sink are all wise practices.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Breeze, if you are truly OCD you'd spell it CDO. Think about it. ;)

On topic, many years ago I made the mistake of placing a small CRT TV on the cab over bed (Class C MH)for traveling. Hit the brakes hard and luckily the TV didn't roll right through the CO window! A modern flat screen wouldn't be a problem.
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
the most important thing to secure is the compost toilet!!!
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:01 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I superglued a magnet to the bottom of a plastic bin so I could keep little items where they were handy. When I tried to move the bin, it ripped loose from the magnet. I had to peal the magnet from the bus! I had ordered the magnets online to make a windmill that I never finished. Guess I should use store bought magnets.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
magnets

We have found two sources for magnets that work really well. Harbor freight sells a package of super magnets. Small hearing-aid size magnets that we attached to office paper clamps for putting up led Christmas lights on the outside of the bus, which against the white paint shows for a good 1/2 mile.
Then for the heavy items we take a IKEA magnetic knife holder and open it up and take out the magnets from inside, one magnet will hold a hand held can opener and a set of magnetic stainless measuring spoons easily. For pots and pans we are considering the IKEA multiple metal bar rack with hooks to hang the pots and pans from, have one in the kitchen of the mortar and brick over the sink and it works wonderfully, may have to bend the mounting bracket to the curve of the bus but should work well with everything but the wife's cast iron wok and cast iron grill.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
These are the magnets I have been using (I need to buy more).

I love having a steel bus. I also like having a steel medicine cabinet.
I have glued a magnet to the lids or backs of medicine bottles or used clear packing tape to tape a magnet to the back of a bottle. Almost everything in my medicine cabinet is stuck to the metal in it. I even have a magnet taped to the inside of the boxes of bandaids and cold medicines. This way I don't have to worry about things falling out of the medicine cabinet when I open it. Everything stays in it's place. Plus I can stick things above short things and still remove the bottom thing. Even my toothbrush is stuck to the door of the medicine cabinet (in 1/2 of a plastic toothbrush holder with a tiny drain hole drilled into the bottom, just like the one that holds my razor handle). Binder Clips (also very handy) that I buy at Sam's Club (because I go thru them so much) are clipped to tubes of medicine and stuck to the steel door. The black stripes - Gorilla Tape - on the door shows me where the edges of the cabinet is and where the shelves are so I can position the stuff stuck to the door. The door of the medicine cabinet is held closed with magnets.

Love them magnets...

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote