Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

What do you think of this 97 International 3800?

Hi all. If I'm posting in the wrong place let me know! I just joined and have been poking around for hours, haven't found what seems a better spot.

New to skoolies and going to check out a 1997 International 3800 with DT 466E engine, automatic (don't know what transmission, waiting to hear), 104K miles. Looks like it's in great shape, RV titled, seats out, walls and ceiling stripped of panels and insulation, floor stripped to wood subflooring. Seller says good tires. Close to home.

Seller is asking $5100. Maybe some bargaining room. Seems a little steep but maybe ok given low miles and work put into it? Any thoughts on price, drivetrain quality, stuff to look out for when I check it out would be appreciated. thanks!

Also I'm new to the forum, check out my intro!: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/hi-...ing-19352.html

doompup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:09 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by doompup View Post
Hi all. If I'm posting in the wrong place let me know! I just joined and have been poking around for hours, haven't found what seems a better spot.

New to skoolies and going to check out a 1997 International 3800 with DT 466E engine, automatic (don't know what transmission, waiting to hear), 104K miles. Looks like it's in great shape, RV titled, seats out, walls and ceiling stripped of panels and insulation, floor stripped to wood subflooring. Seller says good tires. Close to home.

Seller is asking $5100. Maybe some bargaining room. Seems a little steep but maybe ok given low miles and work put into it? Any thoughts on price, drivetrain quality, stuff to look out for when I check it out would be appreciated. thanks!

Also I'm new to the forum, check out my intro!: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/hi-...ing-19352.html
Looks like a decent bus. The mileage may or may not be accurate if the odometer has been replaced. If your serious about buying it you may want to see if the seller will let you take it to a shop and have it looked over. The shop may be able to read the mileage off the ECM. Also oil sampling from the engine and transmission can tell if there are problems. This will give you a good idea of what your getting into.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:41 AM   #3
Bus Nut

My first thought is that price is a little high, but it's got some good things going for it.

-Seemingly low mileage. I'd verify that if you could.

-Looks like a higher headroom model.

-That looks like full underbelly storage.

-RV Titled & interior has been mostly stripped.

The storage and the headroom could really be worth it.
Whatever the transmission is, you've gotta figure out how you want to use it and go from there. There are stronger and weaker transmissions out there - that is a fact. Which one you need/want is an opinion that takes up many, many pages.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:29 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Price is high, and yeah I'd definitely check that the mileage is correct.
Looks like a nice bus, what state is it from?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Well, just got a call from my seller that despite his commitment to give me first refusal this weekend, he did a showing and a buyer offered him 6500, and he sold out from under me. I guess I learned something about jumping on a deal. Also made me wonder about posting questions about potential deals....
Old 09-25-2017, 10:17 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Also made me wonder about posting questions about potential deals....
I sure as heck wouldn't. Obviously, it wan't overpriced.

In fact, one of the Boards I'm a member of will ban you for posting auction links to upcoming auctions. People post links to buses and Exporters say 'thanks'.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Well, just got a call from my seller that despite his commitment to give me first refusal this weekend, he did a showing and a buyer offered him 6500, and he sold out from under me. I guess I learned something about jumping on a deal. Also made me wonder about posting questions about potential deals....
So people here were generally saying that the price was high, and it sold for $1400 more than that!

I'd be surprised if it was anyone here ... they know better.

There are lots of buses for sale

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:26 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:

PLENTY of good buses out there. For less money too.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:28 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Well, I learned a lot. It got me to pull the trigger on registering for this forum, and I fell into a days-long internet vortex and figured out quite a bit more about what I'm looking for. Which unfortunately is exactly this bus. I'll know next time.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:33 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well, I learned a lot. It got me to pull the trigger on registering for this forum, and I fell into a days-long internet vortex and figured out quite a bit more about what I'm looking for. Which unfortunately is exactly this bus. I'll know next time.
You're in a GREAT state to buy buses from, just watch the auction sites and skip the middleman.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:35 PM   #11
Traveling

Quote:
No, you still need to be picky and patient. This isn't the best 'season' to be buying buses as districts sold all the old over Summer. There are many, many buses for that kind of good money.Conventional buses are more plentiful than flat transit style buses- 10:1 ratio

Some members got a decent bus for $1200, but that isn't the norm. My bus was around same price- $5600, i think. has 26,000 miles, raised roof, sprayfoamed and a 10K Onan diesel genny.

Be very picky- no rust.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:11 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Any advice on sites? I'm on a steep learning curve here...
Old 09-25-2017, 11:13 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the words of wisdom y'all.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:04 AM   #14
Traveling

try these

Quote:
Any advice on sites? I'm on a steep learning curve here...
Gov deals

Purple Wave

Ritchie Brothers

But remember- if you get a better bus than me for less money, I won't like you any more.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Washington State surplus uses Public Surplus: Government Surplus Auctions for most of their bus auctions.

Oddly, they don't put them in the bus section. They lump them in with all of the cars under Motor Pool.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote