Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

What do you think of this one?

So they will take $7800. Looks clean. No rust and runs well per seller.

https://showroom.auction123.com/rwc_...oup_tucson_bus

Alexjpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
The problem is it's being listed by a dealer, at the lower price he is double what it's worth. I just bought basically that bus, but front engine, for $2425.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Chip a few more 1k off not bad. Being AZ bus prob not a spec rust on it. Can find cheaper but not bad from a dealer.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
high torque DT466E, and A/C.. dealers like to mark up for A/C, so if you are planning on ripping out the A/C and dont want it, then dont buy a bus fro ma dealer that has it, you are paying a lot for something you'll end up giving away..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Is the HT motor desirable over the regular DT. Definitely ripping out the ac.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexjpx View Post
Is the HT motor desirable over the regular DT. Definitely ripping out the ac.
somewhat but not a huge amount.. it is a higher torque variant used on many of the rear engine busses..

if you are yanking the AC (I wouldnt if you plan to drive anywhere in summer) then I would find one without it or one at auction where AC doesnt seem to demand a higher price.. 7k isnt too bad for a bus like that with A/C.. its quite possible/ likely that the dealer put $$ into the A/C to make it work - that cost is getting passed to you and then thrown away when you yank it.

-Christopher
Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Nice looking bus. I have to go along with the crowd, two to three times what you can find a similar bus for at auction.

It pains me to see people pulling working otr air conditioning out and tossing it. That is the one feature that my bus is missing.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
Bus Nut

A good rule is "Don't get rid of what you got". Think long and hard before you tear out AC systems, Heaters and Dashboards.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Nice looking bus. I have to go along with the crowd, two to three times what you can find a similar bus for at auction.

It pains me to see people pulling working otr air conditioning out and tossing it. That is the one feature that my bus is missing.

and i added it to one of my busses... .. there are many people who chase the "sunny and 70" so feel they dont need A/C and good heat.. others drive the bus once or twice a year and its parked the rest of the time. I kind of get that it uses up space .. but for me since my bus is rolling pretty much 95% of the time im in it. it is a must have.

the biggest point though is that. dealers command a premium for A/C.. couple grand at least... auctions not as much. I see A/C and non A/C busses sell for similar prices at auctions.. so id nearly never buy one from a dealer with A/C if I didnt plan on using it..
-Christopher
Old 03-20-2018, 01:32 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the input!

So I plan on moving my wife and 3 kids onto the bus for a few years. We will be in all types of climates. I was planning on removing the AC as I have to install one that can run with the motor off from A/C power or possibly a generator. I figured it was heavy and took up space. I will give it some more thought before I remove it.

I will keep looking but its the perfect season to start my project with hopes to mostly finish before next winter. I don't really want to spend 6 months searching.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Alexjpx,

When I converted my first bus I removed the air conditioner and installed two 12.5k Btu roof air's and a generator to run them. Worked great going down the road until outside temps got over 80F..,.....

90+ outside and I was MISERABLE!!!!!

I made a few mistakes on my first bus. Removing the air conditioner was by far the worst.

Just my $0.02
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Alexjpx,

When I converted my first bus I removed the air conditioner and installed two 12.5k Btu roof air's and a generator to run them. Worked great going down the road until outside temps got over 80F..,.....

90+ outside and I was MISERABLE!!!!!

I made a few mistakes on my first bus. Removing the air conditioner was by far the worst.

Just my $0.02
Thank you! That was the plan. We will be traveling through AZ and southern Utah in the summer. The AC is back in the floor plan.