Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dèsirée View Post
—-///
I also think you have the know how to invent or create a laser light warning system that would beam out of the front of trucks starting at engine height and dissipate when it hits ground level.

Once configured the space(or angle of coverage) lit in red between the highest point of the beaming laser lights to the lowest, would be the “Do not enter, do not cross” safety angle.....

In my mind, seems so simple. I can’t believe it hasn’t been tested out.

I have seen such a system, I think still in proof-of-concept stages? Some law changes would probably be needed for it to be legal - for example, the "red on rear only" rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Though, to be fair, such a system has been invented, only it punishes the truck driver for the ignorance of others. Wabco developed a system called OnGuard, and while it appears sound in theory, it is a real POS.

Basically, the truck is fitted with a radar box on the front bumper to scan the 500-600 feet ahead of it. It is spidered into the truck's brake control system to brake when it senses anything in the 'danger zone'. Remember when I said it appeared sound in theory?

It hallucinates, locking up all five axles with 90+ psi because it thinks it sees something going under overpasses. I had a truck nearly turn itself over for this exact reason once. Changing lanes to pass another rig going under an overpass when the 'safety' system decided to wig out mid-change. One thing you DON"T do in a 40-ton vehicle nearly 14 feet tall and 70 feet long is slam on the brakes during any kind of lateral change. But apparently the designers think their computer can defy the laws of physics.

When the idiots it was designed to protect dart across our nose within 50 feet to make their exit at the last second, the damned thing hesitates, then locks up all five axles with that 90+ psi application pressure, when the moron that created the situation is already halfway up the ramp and gone. Well, HELLO, OnGuard! So very nice of you to join us! ...

This is not the only company that developed and offered such a system. Sounds great in theory and "on paper", but then again, so did the Ford Edsel .....

My friend drove a KW with a similar system. The panic stops weren't *QUITE* as abrupt ...

Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Attachment 34811

Truckin' ain't for sissies... And Grumman/Workhorse/P-chassis and E/G-chassis aside, skoolies are a big rig's not-so-distant cousin. The sooner everyone realizes the gravity of that, the better off they'll be. It's a big, heavy, vehicle, it can hurt (or kill) you, and others, if you're not careful. Don't let it take away from the fun, but respect it -- if you don't, it will bite you.

As to this little bit...

I wouldn't take that bet, honestly. Too many people who think "It will never happen to me -- I'm too good at texting while driving" or any one of the slew of other dumb things people do. That is, until something very bad happens, and then they're trying to figure out who they can sue for their stupidity.

I learned to drive cars before air-bags, ABS, collision mitigation or any of the other 'safety' features of today. Hell, I was teaching myself to drive my old man's 1986 S-10 (4-speed manual, no power brakes or power steering) before I was 15, and I learned to bring that truck to a stop so smoothly you couldn't tell when it actually stopped. Hell, the first real winter, I went out to an open parking lot and stomped the e-brake to intentionally lose the car until I learned how to keep it under control and bring it back in line.

Today, people can't be bothered with essential skills like parallel parking and think their car is supposed to drive itself. The more safety features the manufacturers add, the more they use the technologies as an excuse to drive recklessly. I've actually seen some idiot in his new Subaru tell his friend, "Hey, watch this!" and just wantonly approach a line of stopped traffic, seemingly with no intention of stopping.

Scared the hell out of his friend, who sat there like this as the idiot sat there laughing when the forward collision mitigation kicked in and stopped the car with inches to spare...

Attachment 34812

Sadly, most people today are a special kind of stupid that only responds to a baseball bat. We should just take the warning labels off of everything and let Darwinism start doing its job again. Being stupid is supposed to hurt, that's how you learn not to do it again.

In summary, I can parallel-park a 70-foot articulating vehicle, and most people can't keep a Mini Cooper in one lane, or put it in one space. And these people KNOW they're bad drivers, they just don't care. They don't even try to improve.
A lot of good stuff in there, man.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:02 PM   #43
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I have seen such a system, I think still in proof-of-concept stages? Some law changes would probably be needed for it to be legal - for example, the "red on rear only" rule.

This is not the only company that developed and offered such a system. Sounds great in theory and "on paper", but then again, so did the Ford Edsel .....

My friend drove a KW with a similar system. The panic stops weren't *QUITE* as abrupt ...
—-//
I think when you have a set of laser lights beaming on to the ground on a perfect angle covering the entire space in red, it would be extremely difficult to confuse it with red break lights on back of a monster truck. Anyway, it was something that came to mind after seeing that horrible picture.
Dèsirée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dèsirée View Post
—-//
I think when you have a set of laser lights beaming on to the ground on a perfect angle covering the entire space in red, it would be extremely difficult to confuse it with red break lights on back of a monster truck. Anyway, it was something that came to mind after seeing that horrible picture.

The one I saw used lasers (or something) to project a red box in front of the truck, as if to indicate "Danger Zone". I support the idea, there are technical and legal hurdles to clear if this is to become a reality. Also, cost. Does the benefits (if any) justify the cost? For that matter, would it work? Would the lights have any negative impacts? (We all should know not to look into the laser bar-code readers at the local store, I'm assuming these are much brighter... )
Old 06-21-2019, 04:54 PM   #45
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Talking with a neighbor that drives part time. I told him I was interested in doing what he does, local, part time. He says the problem is they need full time drivers and want you to log illegal miles. They are hiring immigrants that have never driven a truck before, tell me that isn't scary in itself. I wouldn't mind driving a truck, but don't want to be away from home a month at a time
Beam Bros trucking, a long-time US Mail contract carrier, was just shut down sometime in the past year or so for supposedly coercing drivers to run illegally and/or falsify logs. The rub is, what exactly is the trucking company asking drivers to do that is illegal? Some things appear illegal on the surface, but are not.

Besides, coercion rules exist for exactly this reason. Carriers, dispatchers, shippers, receivers and brokers are all held liable for attempting to coerce operating illegally.

Not defending it or making excuses, just sounds kinda odd -- if he is part time local, why can't you be part-time local? Unless that's all they hiring for at the moment. Also, from my experience, seems an over-the-road driver would be more likely to get caught, not to mention the ELD mandate of 2018 would make it pretty much impossible to cheat logs or run illegal.

The only way they might get away with it is if the trucks are older than around 1998, which are exempt from ELD, as they have no way to hard-wire one. But being professional that I am, I have a solution to that one too.

There's really no excuse for any professional driver not to have electronic logs anymore. Big Road ( bigroad.com ) is one of several solutions for using ELD, even in trucks that aren't set up for it. I used it as backup when a carrier's primary ELD system was on the fritz (it happens). Their simple ELD app is free for download on Google Play and only requires that you put in a bit of pertinent info (name, carrier, DOT #, truck #, trailer #, and allow location tracking. From there, all you do is make required duty status changes (touch of a button on the screen, easy), and the GPS will keep track of miles driven and location at time of status change.

While not being hard-wired to the truck opens up the possibility of editing logs to cheat and somewhat relies on the honor system, the law of averages says that sooner or later, you're going to get caught.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:05 PM   #46
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
A lot of good stuff in there, man.
Just tellin' it like it is. And when I say that most people are stupid, I don't mean that to include present company. Obviously this site has a great deal of smart people, you can tell in the ingenuity and home-schooled engineering that goes into these conversions. You have to have a little something extra between the ears to pull off what most do on this site.

However, I believe there is a big difference between ignorance and stupidity. Simple ignorance can be corrected with a little education and enlightenment. Stupid is forever.

Unlike trucking, in which you never really stop learning if you're a true professional, just learning a few simple things about how things work on your skoolie, and what can happen when things go wrong, will go a long way in making it safer and more enjoyable. For instance, since about six months into my trucking career, I have driven right around 60-63 mph, even when the truck could go much faster.

For example, it's bad enough when an air brake chamber goes bad. That can happen to anyone. But there are other mishaps and issues that are completely preventable with a little due diligence and care. After all, most skoolie owners are still technically driving a Class 7 truck that would require a Class B (and usually air-brake endorsement) under any other circumstances.

As I've said elsewhere, non-commercial use doesn't make it any less dangerous, and I simply don't want to see folks find themselves in a bad situation that could have been prevented with a little education.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #47
Traveling

Quote:
This is not the only company that developed and offered such a system. Sounds great in theory and "on paper", but then again, so did the Ford Edsel ..... My friend drove a KW with a similar system. The panic stops weren't *QUITE* as abrupt ...
I'm sure today's systems are much better. Mostly because most are integral. I have driven a Volvo with a factory-integrated system (VEC) and it actually was not nearly as bad. However, it is very annoying to listen to loud beeping of varying frequency when you're waiting for an opportunity to pass another vehicle that is not maintaining consistent speed. Especially when it's another heavy vehicle that slows with every little incline and is governed 1-2 mph slower than you can go. That's my definition of purgatory.

I've also heard that Freightliner's integrated Detroit system is quite good. But that's neither here nor there. A recent study showed that 80% of crashes involving trucks and conventional vehicles were actually the conventional vehicle driver's fault. And most of these could have been prevented with a little common sense and safer driving on their part.

I was recently 'treated' to a couple of loaner Subarus when the car I'd just bought had accident damage not on the CarFax. Those cars annoyed the ever-loving hell out of me. I wound up turning off all of the active 'safety' features... The lane assist had me feeling like I was driving in 100 mph crosswinds, I think whatever controlled it was misaligned and thought I was closer to the line than I was.

Point being, technology is not infallible, and will never be perfect. People need to start taking responsibility for THEIR vehicle and THEIR actions in the course of operating that vehicle. From what I've seen, most people these days use their car's latest and greatest 'safety' features as an excuse to drive more recklessly.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
The primary problem with the Edsel (Gotta wonder much did old Henry hate his boy..?) was perceptual:

Quote:
America simply was not ready for a car sporting a furgina.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Just tellin' it like it is. And when I say that most people are stupid, I don't mean that to include present company. Obviously this site has a great deal of smart people, you can tell in the ingenuity and home-schooled engineering that goes into these conversions. You have to have a little something extra between the ears to pull off what most do on this site.

However, I believe there is a big difference between ignorance and stupidity. Simple ignorance can be corrected with a little education and enlightenment. Stupid is forever.

Unlike trucking, in which you never really stop learning if you're a true professional, just learning a few simple things about how things work on your skoolie, and what can happen when things go wrong, will go a long way in making it safer and more enjoyable. For instance, since about six months into my trucking career, I have driven right around 60-63 mph, even when the truck could go much faster.

For example, it's bad enough when an air brake chamber goes bad. That can happen to anyone. But there are other mishaps and issues that are completely preventable with a little due diligence and care. After all, most skoolie owners are still technically driving a Class 7 truck that would require a Class B (and usually air-brake endorsement) under any other circumstances.

As I've said elsewhere, non-commercial use doesn't make it any less dangerous, and I simply don't want to see folks find themselves in a bad situation that could have been prevented with a little education.
'Ignorance can be corrected with a bit of learning - Stupidity is like being born without a leg - if you don't have one to start with, you'll never have one'
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:47 PM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA466
Rated Cap: 40 ish rugrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I don't think that was a small car - if l'm not mistaken it's a full sized crew cab pickup truck
I tried blowing the picture up but I still couldn't make out the name on the front fender of the wreck
Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton. Fender badge days Silverado. Can’t tell if it was a regular cab, extended cab or crew cab
gmrubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:16 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
OMG, didn't realize it was something that large. A Silverado, wow. If so, there is still a body in that truck. I constantly monitor traffic behind me when I'm coming to stop and am ready to bail if need be,
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:49 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmrubin View Post
Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton. Fender badge days Silverado. Can’t tell if it was a regular cab, extended cab or crew cab

I'm not entirely sure, but I *Think* it was a 4-door crew cab. I looked again and I believe I see one door handle, and what looks like another door behind it (not just an extended cab panel, there's separation between what looks like the door and lower doorjamb). The various clues indicate a crew cab.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Nerf bar/step definitely long enough for a 4dr.. I'm still looking for the bed.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:28 PM   #54
Bus Geek

The report said it involved 4 semi's and a small pick-up. The Silverado is far from being a small pick-up, especially a crew cab.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:30 PM   #55
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
The report said it involved 4 semi's and a small pick-up. The Silverado is far from being a small pick-up, especially a crew cab.

at the time the photo was taken it was a small pickup - no mention of it's former life :O
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:38 PM   #56
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
Just to clarify on auxiliary braking a little bit. The engine brake or "Jake brake" is a system that alters the valve timing to creat large amounts of back pressure adding resistance to the engine. Exhaust brakes add back pressure and resistance from a closable valve behind the turbo in the exhaust system. There are also electromagnetic driveline brakes that are pretty cool too
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:47 PM   #57
Bus Crazy

Quote:

I don't want to make crude punny jokes about something so serious, but in this case the Silverado is a "small pickup" when compared to 4 semi's.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:52 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Nerf bar/step definitely long enough for a 4dr.. I'm still looking for the bed.

The bed is folded up above the cab. The pickup went from a straight frame to something kind of S-shaped.

Well ... maybe not S shaped, but certainly folded in half. You can see the fuel door just below the rear tire and the taillight under the semi's steer tire. I'm assuming the driveshaft is laying on the ground.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:13 PM   #59
Bus Geek

Quote:
I don't want to make crude punny jokes about something so serious, but in this case the Silverado is a "small pickup" when compared to 4 semi's.
I guess it depends on where you put the emphasis. I always argue with my sister when she says I have a mini truck. My Dakota is much larger than any of the small pickups. So when I see them describe small pick up, a crewcab Silverado does not come to mind. But yes, they were much smaller than they wished. Another example of why I don't feel any less safe in a front end collision with my Flat Nose and an auto or pick-up. I imagine this accidents results would have been much better if that pick up was a 35' skoolie.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:53 AM   #60
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3L
In order for that pickup to be rolled up like that, it had to be held stationary from the front. otherwise the green semi would have punted it forward into other cars or in the ditch. Notice the front end is pushed into the engine compartment. Likely was pinned behind a large trailer or similar. I have seen a lot in 45 years on the road, but nothing that intense. Just my opinion based upon a still photo with no other info.