Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
What does your online handle represent and why?

Hello all. I was curious what peoples online handels represented and why? Their is such a diversity on this forum (both handles and personalities) that I thought this might be interesting.

I guess I'll start: Mine derives from my role as a program director at an earth education residential school (week long camp) for students in grades 3 - 5. They would come out with their classes (including teachers) and run through curiculum designed to get city kids back in touch with nature and their impact on it. We had to choose an "earth name" and I chose kingfisher. It is a beautiful bird found not only on the $5.00 dollar bill but also in the wild. So fast forward to my using a forum and needing a handle; I chose this Kingfisher but it was taken. So then came captainkf and there it is.

So, for those of you who don't care I am sorry. For those who are interested (and if you made it this far you are) let's here it.

-Richard

captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: What does your online handle represent and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkf
It is a beautiful bird found not only on the $5.00 dollar bill but also in the wild.

-Richard
It's been a while since I've actually seen a bill, but from what I remember, our money is boring green with pictures of dead guys on it. You crazy Canadians......

I'll go next. I have had "experience" handles all the way back since we had 28.8kbps dial up. No, that doesn't mean it WENT 28.8 kbps....it just means we paid for it like it did. This was probably 7 or 8 years ago....a ice age ago in computer technology.

Many people mistakenly think it stems from The Jimi Hendrix Experience. I LOVE Jimi Hendrix, but that is not actually where the name comes from. Instead, it comes from a way of looking at life. Life is nothing more than a series of individual experiences strung together to create on big experience. Both positives and negatives in life come together to form this journey, this experience if you will, that is life. Our interactions with others also change their individual events in life and their ultimate "experience," possibly for the better, possibly for the worse. The numbers that follow my name really are meaningless. '03 happens to be the year that I graduated, but as various accounts have gotten spammed to death, stolen, etc, I've used other words and numbers. My yahoo handle uses 3006 at the end only because I really like the .30-06 caliber The one common trait is that the names always include "experience" because everything is just that, an experience.

It probably sounds like I need to step back from the hooka at this point, but it makes perfect sense to me. If nothing else, it's the name I've used forever and people can identify as being me so there's no need to change it.

My CB handle is "The Rabid Hamster." This stems from my trip two years ago where we went out west in my truck. A trucker who was behind us and also happened to be into the offroading scene hollered up from behind us saying, "Silver Toyota...long way from home, eh? What is that thing? Some kind of rabid hamster?" He couldn't believe that we were going cross country in it. Heck...even the guys that changed my oil in Moses Lake, Washington thought that the thing HAD to have been trailered there. I told them that if it had been trailered, there really would be no reason for me to pay someone else to change my oil.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with that handle, but it kind of fits and it's stuck with me.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I use my real given name

My user name is my real name and I love Idaho. Lots of guys often forget what name they are using. I have wondered many times why folks do not use their real names. Is this some protection in ID theft? Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Bus Nut

It's all about attitude and other deep philosophical meanderings. The Boojie Woojie Tribe (BWT), (may the great name live on forever ooh wa ha ha) was a sundry gathering of musicians and other artistic types emerging from (into?) youth with the singular purpose of finding camping spots far from the insanity of civilization (i.e. hot, muggy mosquito ridden locales in southern Mississippi where somehow we always ended up running out of drinking water). We soon decided that luxury was nice, so we would strap umbrellas and an occasional trolling motor to our canoes as we patrolled some backwater river in search of lovely young maidens who might happen to be sunbathing on an insect-infested beach, thereby exclaiming to themselves, "Ooh such coolness has put me in awe! What lovely umbrellas! What a cool flag made from an old t-shirt that is flying from the stern! They are so artistic- we must go throw ourselves in their mercy!" It's in the spirit of exploring the furtherest reaches of the frontier that the BWT lives on.... "Who is that playing that boojie woojie music???"
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Of course, now that I've revealed the secret Tribe (may the great name live on forever) my fellow Boojie Woojieans may rise up and do away with me. Such is the danger of..... The BWT ....(may the great name live on forever).
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:20 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: 3 axle (10 wheel)
Engine: GMC 6-71 T
Rated Cap: 97
Send a message via MSN to Coalforge
On line handle

I am a blacksmith by trade. I demonstrate using a coal forge and a large bellows. People get sent to me as "Go see the guy with the coal forge", hence the nickname
Coalforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:05 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Mine all started with my wife, I was looking for an enclosed car hauler to pull my sandrail around in. Actually my real problem is I have several and no way to tow that many. So after getting sticker shock on the trailer route she came up with the idea of getting a school bus and converting it. I then started my research and found this site and many others. In the end this is the site of sites (the rest are for girls). I'm half way thru converting the front for a rv and the back will start when the weather breaks this summer. Hence the name rail_hauler.

Regards
Air Brakes
rail_hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #8

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Mine is easy. There was this time at band camp, oops, wrong story. Cal is my name, but you can call me anything. Just don't call me "Late for dinner". And no, I don't have a dog named spot. If you're not at least 35 and from California, that wont mean anything to you. As for the first part of my name, I think it is obvious. Besides it sounds better than smartasscal. Actually, that doesn't sound too bad either.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:46 AM   #9

Why didn't my picture come out? ok, I got it now.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 03-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #10
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International

the img tag looks for .jpg or.gif or some such..not html.

My name comes from playing the org. DOOM game...we always seemed to do better with "evil" sounding names than just useing our real ones....
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #11

My dog does have spots. Thanks. Did you take the html off the back?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
You posted the address to the PAGE the picture is on, not the address to the picture itself. Click quote on Demonknight's message to see how he posted the picture.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
I wanted to go with "Roasting in the Desert" but I'm too lazy to type that much. I tried Roasting on Yahoo, but it was taken (next available was Roasting

So, not to confuse myself (I'm getting kind of old) I chose Roasting8.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
no, I opened the html page and clicked ont he pic, then copy img address and used it...*S*
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #15
Bus Nut

My handle is a take-off from one of my websites....gonecamping.net, it's the same handle I use on several different camping forums, and the avatar image is what my old license plate looked like... I've since changed the license plate to a pain old tag....

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:13 AM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Self explanitory

Chris
Follow my build up here https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skoolies/Slab_Cabn
Or join the facebook group Friends of the Slab Cab'n https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...2145574&ref=ts
CVanDamme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Mine is short for my middle name - Griffith - and was given to me by my highschool sweetheart, who was to be my bride but got killed by a drunk driver when she was leaving where she worked. The nickname stuck with all my friends, so I kept it in remembrance.

By the way. . .CrazyCal, Cal is a name of much Worth(. . .ington, and yeah, I'm over 35)!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Oh Griff, that is so very sad . Me heart goes out to your loss. It so difficult to not sound trite however, know that my sadness is sincere.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:44 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Thank you for your kind thoughts, Richard.
It was a lifetime ago and God has his way of helping people through the trials of life. He graciously provided me the wonderful woman to whom I am now married. This November we will celebrate our 27th anniversary. I never look back (except to analyze my mistakes, as those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it), but live for today and the blessings it holds!
Old 03-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
All right, I guess it's Trivia Hour.

Elliot Naess is now the name on my drivers license. But it's not what my parents called
me -- that was Steinar Næss. With my surname pronounced "ness", I picked up the
nickname Elliot after Eliot Ness, the Treasury Agent portrayed by Robert Stack in the
television series The Untouchables. After some years, I "gave up" and made it official.

That was black & white television, folks!

And yes, that's me (and a friend) in my avatar, crossing Humboldt Bay.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote