Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
Bus Nut

What I saw on my way home from the firing range today.

My wife was able to snap this picture as the car hauler drove down highway 97 near Bend Oregon today.

The Monster Truck had 2 rows of inward facing seats in the back, 5 on each side plus the two in the cab. I am guessing the guy may offer rides in a Monster Truck at Rallys or Fairs and such.

Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Almost There

Re: What I saw on my way home from the firing range today.

If you follow the lines down the side of the bus, you can see that the back is pointing down by a good amount. I wonder if he/she modified it that way or if that bus is just that unhappy that it has that much weight back there.
Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Bus Nut

looks like it might be an older cab body on the monster truck, 40's or early 50's, is that gravedigger green on the suspension linkage on the monster?
it also looks like the rear half of the bus has been cut loose from the front of the bus, rollback or tiltbed style.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

thats a cool shot well done abbott and wife! if im not mistaken there was a thread a while back talking about a bus conversion like/similar for this purpose, showing how the overhang was built on the back. Bend oregon thats a neat area i travelled there and bought a car there from a collector guy. he had about 200= cars shoved in every corner and around bend in shops hangers barns etc. it wa a great trip.thanks timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I think the bend in the back is a combination of some poor measuring when making the new body mounts and quite possibly an optical illusion due to the downward angle of the ramp section. I really don't think that bus should be having that much trouble with the weight on the back. The GVWR of my bus is 30,000 lbs. Loaded down with fuel, people, and stuff I'm well under 21,000 with the bulk of the reserve weight capacity on my rear axle which sports an 18,000 lbs GAWR. That rig and the tongue weight from the trailer can't top 6000 lbs. Those trucks are surprisingly light all things considered.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Almost There

Coachwork: na
Chassis: na
Engine: na
Send a message via Yahoo to drchefscott

Thats a G~R~E~A~T pic. Thanks for sharing. My wife is starting to get worried as the more I look here, the more ideas I get. She is concerned she will come home oneday and find 20 skoolies in the yard. sounds like fun to me.
drchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote