Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I don't have the time to read the other thread right now, I'll get to it later.

Your engine, as long as it has winter fuel, should start up first try down into the teens. Make sure you use motorcraft glow plugs. Other brands will burn out quickly and have a high chance of breaking or swelling, which isn't good.

The controller senses voltage drop of the z resistor, and compares it to the glow plug voltage drop, which is how it determines how long to cycle them. If you have cheap or bad plugs, the controller won't work correctly.

If the plugs aren't motorcraft, replace them regardless if they test good.

Lookup the oil burners site, they have drastically more info about that engine then what is available here.

It also helps big time to go half throttle when starting. This should engage the fast idle solenoid. If it's working, that solenoid will hold it at high idle until the engine heats up.

Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Your engine, as long as it has winter fuel, should start up first try down into the teens.
What do you mean by "winter fuel?"
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Gas stations sell winter fuel in the winter and summer fuel in the summer. The "vapor" pressure is different, and the wax point is different. Basically that means winter fuel will not get wax forming in it till a lower temp. Your local gas station should be selling winter fuel already.

I had trouble when I fueled in Oregon, and drove to Wyoming. It was in the 60's in Oregon and only 5 degrees in Wyoming. I do have a fuel heater and had to use it as my fuel was gelling. because it was a summer blend and did not have the anti wax(gel) additives in it.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote