Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #1

What to do with hobbies?

Just in the beginning process of thinking about building out a bus and have some questions about hobbies. I have several that I would like to pack up and take along, but I'm not sure the best way to store them. A few of the larger (space hogs):

Biking: Is it possible to hang the bikes thereby using vertical space over horizontal?

Woodcarving: Lots of carving blocks of wood. I suppose I could only take a couple dozen, but then have the hassle of ordering and delivery of more wood. Also not sure how to cut the blocks down without my band saw.

Board games: I will pare down my collection a bit, but still want a decent collection of 20, or so, games. I'm thinking of a small bookcase in the "garage" area that will hold games, books, dvds, and maybe even some of the carving wood mentioned above.

Other hobbies, but not HUGE space takers: Guitar, darts, knitting, coloring, and birding.

Thoughts? You guys have BTDT so I'm looking for your expertise! Thanks for any suggestions.

BirdMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
I'm a board gamer too! I'll be bringing my collection but it's only about six games. I'm also bringing painting supplies, knitting/crocheting, a bookcase full of books and dvds with books on birding and plant ID, supplies for skinning and tanning hides and turning bones into crafts/jewelry. I'd love to bring a sewing machine but it's too much room! Although a typewriter is going to make the cut so I can blog without using electricity. I prefer typing over writing.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Sounds like you're going to need a utility trailer to follow you.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #4

Hah! They really don't take up that much space, and I really want the things I enjoy with me in my home. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do this. Mostly wondering about the bikes. I don't know what bus we'll get, so don't know the inside height of the roof for hanging vertically.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #5

I will probably take fewer than 20…but I have yet to decide what I really want. The good thing is a lot of them are small(er) box games, so not many of those huge square sizes. Onenationundergoat, it sounds like we're in the same boat as far as how much to fit in. ;)
Old 08-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Mary's hobby is art so the bus becomes the art....

We don't full time so it's easy.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Mary is dang good at painting the bus!
My wife is a quilter, loves plants, fishing, board games and cards. I am willing to change hobbies to fit. I turn and cut wood, tie flies, create rubber worms, fish, play cards and site see. I think I would be glad to give up the wood, flies and worms if I get a digital camera and take pics from the roof rack/deck. Our bus will be lined with hanging plants, small herbs mostly.

Speakng of space for storage, I just had an idea. Why not take two of the long rooftop cargo containers and mount them vertically on the back? Change the hinges and clasps to be more secure and put shelves inside. One could even be made of metal or wood instead of buuying prefab.Something along this line:
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #8

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks, all!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Downsizing can be and usually is a very stressful feat. You need to decide what is more important. I love to sew (I've made all the curtains, duvets & covers for the bus) and I have a smaller portable sewing machine that I will find a space for...it possibly may means leaving behind 1 or 2 pairs of shoes or a couple of sweaters.

I love to read, and have quite a collection of books (all previously read) that I will be parting with (they can be replaced should I care to reread them). Reference books I will find room for (a necessity).

Sounds like you need to make up a list of what you want to take, number them in order of needs and wants. Start with #1, go down the list placing them as you go and add as much as you can. You'll be surprised what you'll be able to make room for when the time comes.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #10

Hi, The Breeze, and thanks for your reply. My issue isn't as much what to take but how to store it. ;) I've been slowly downsizing for few years and my lists are made and I know what I'm willing to give up and what I'm not. More than anything I'm looking for how other people store their favorite things on their buses. Luckily, for us, it hasn't been a stressful downsizing and I thought it would be. The hardest part is what to do with the stuff we're getting rid of, lol.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:21 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
I know the feeling....I have things that I'm letting go of that has brought tears to my eyes but....

We have a 2000 sq ft home (mobile home), a 4 room "on books as a shed" cabin down back that's packed full & a 2 story 16X16 "barn" full plus an addon lean to that we have to rehome.

we're yeah close to moving into the bus (in the yard), at that time we will rearrange what's left in the house, clean everything up a little & price it all. Then we will start bringing up what's in the barn & the cabin and do the same. Once everything is out of the outbuildings we plan on a couple of yard sales out of the house and when we're over that, call someone to come & get what's left.

At that point, once the house is empty we will clean it up good and put it up on the market. This seems the easiest for us as we won't have to worry about the weather come yard sale time and our health has us not running up & down the driveway down back as easy as we use too.

Good luck to you in finding a place to store everything....have you room in the basement of the bus to put a few storage lockers for things you need but may not access often?
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:07 AM   #12

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you, but at least a solid plan is in place! Not sure about storage lockers since we don't have a bus yet, but I would certainly not be disappointed if I can put a couple on. ;)
Old 08-12-2015, 10:38 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Collecting and playing vinyl is an enjoyment of mine. My collection is not very large, which is good. I am hoping to be able to work in room for my turntable and probably downsize my amp. I have been thinking about what albums I can let go. I am hoping that I can get into trading and selling more as I buy and collect new stuff. discogs.com is helpful for that. I'd like to place smaller speakers throughout the bus mounted up in unused spaces and have it so I can also listen to digital media as well from anywhere in the bus.

I play guitar, also. I am selling off the ones I do not use. Being forced to downsize has forced me to re-tackle a project guitar I have that I cannot even play right now, but that will be one of two keepers. I'll be getting rid of the large amplifier.

Living in a school bus forces most of us to be handy and carry tools. We have two old diesel Mercedes. One is going to be sold (once I get the new engine into it). The other I will keep and we intend to pull a small utility trailer as a workshop. I can store all my tools and other odds and ends. Extra parts, a little scrap lumber, stuff from random projects. I have been thinking of ways I can make this very secure, as a fair amount of money in tools will be housed. I was thinking, maybe I can get a tire boot, like the police use. Then, two of those bolt-cutter protectant hasps.

Also, for those of us having to downsize. My wife and I bought the KonMari Tidying audio book. It seems to be very popular right now. I found that it gave me a good outlook on how to unclutter and downsize. Keep the things that bring you joy, get rid of the rest. It was helpful for getting a good attitude about shedding our hoarder habits.