Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #1

Post What to look for buying a bus

Hi all,

New forum member. I am currently in the process of scouring craigslist and ebay for a bus to convert. I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me specific stuff to look out for. I know a lot about buying vehicles in general, but I need to learn more about what too look for with big diesels and such.

I am also curious what type of mileage on a bus is considered reasonable. For example, one of the busses I am looking at soon is a 2005 Freightliner, but it has 242k miles on it. I know these vehicles can last a long time, but is it worth looking at ones with that many miles on it already.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

acut11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
Here is my Disclaimer: I really know nothing about nothing just like Sergant Schultz;
Just wondering where you are from? Is it going to be a weekender or full timer?
I would say that Most people are looking for miles around 150,000, that I would say would be the low end on average..I just picked mine up with 185,000 which seem fine
For me it was a local bus so I kind of know what kind of roads that it run. Mostly
City streets with some hiways. Not a country bus that gets a lot of wear and tear running the back dirt roads.
Hope it helps some, I am sure people that know a lot more than me will be along to give you their take on this subject.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoolydoo View Post
Here is my Disclaimer: I really know nothing about nothing just like Sergant Schultz;
Just wondering where you are from? Is it going to be a weekender or full timer?
I would say that Most people are looking for miles around 150,000, that I would say would be the low end on average..I just picked mine up with 185,000 which seem fine
For me it was a local bus so I kind of know what kind of roads that it run. Mostly
City streets with some hiways. Not a country bus that gets a lot of wear and tear running the back dirt roads.
Hope it helps some, I am sure people that know a lot more than me will be along to give you their take on this subject.
I'm planning to travel with it across the country and back once. Then after that it won't be moving much. It'll be parked as a weekend "home" for most of the year after that, maybe a weekend trip here and there.
acut11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #4

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Sold diesel commercial trucks many years. Miles not as important as maintenance, care. If in north watch for corroded wiring, brake lines. If it sits a lot, diesels can be bad. All machines need to run to stay in shape. If you find a bus (size to fit needs) pay a couple hundred to have a qualified mechanic to inspect and write estimates on needed work. I like IH DT-466 and Cummins B5.9 best. Run to see what top speed is...many geared for hills not highways.
polar bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
#1 don't buy it until you drive it. #2 Get up underneath it and view the undercarriage as much as you can. #3 ask about service history, how many owners, etc. And after, if you like it, always offer 15% less than what they are asking. (if they accept, then you may have some money for new tires!)

Buses in the south are usually better as far as salt corrosion goes.

Good Luck, and welcome to the gang!

-Doc
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying advice, buying our first bus, mechanical, mileage