Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #1

What to look for in this old "Chamberlane" shortbu

Hello all, I am new to these forums and going to look at a partially converted short bus soon. I could use some advice from more experienced people. What are those little hidden spots to check for rust on the frame and body?

Don't have full info on this yet... asked for engine and transmission types and was told diesel engine with a good working transmission.

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to getting into this project and trip. This is the first one I'm looking at, and hopefully there will be a few contenders.

Ron.

RONatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Judging by how old it looks I would imagine it has a 6.9 IDI diesel with either a C-6 or AOD tranny. Neither are of noteworthy greatness, but few people have gripes either and they sure are common which is of huge benefit in the school bus world. Eventually all used vehicles will need parts. Some, like that, are FAR easier and cheaper to find parts for.

I really like that rear door. I don't know why....I just do. Just what is converted on it so far? There are tons of partial conversions all over eBay and the local paper. People just lose interest it seems. Personally, the earlier in the conversion the previous owner stopped, the better. Then you don't have to waste time undoing their work or money paying for what they think is worth more than it really is.

Get us some more information! What exactly are your plans for the interior and what kind of usage would that thing see?

Welcome aboard.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Funny, I was just admiring that nice door too! Looks like a nice little bus! Hope it all works out in your favor, and ditto on the "Welcome Aboard"!
Old 05-02-2007, 01:54 AM   #4

Thanks for the welcome. Regarding the conversion there is a wall closing off an area in the back. In the front there are 2 bunks across the back and one along the passenger side with a table behind the driver's seat. There are some more photos online.

I am looking to take an extended road trip across Canada. Something to live out of basically, but be able to move around on city streets. Looking to depart mid-July. Hopefully haven't bitten off more than I can chew, but I'd like to put in a WVO conversion as well as whatever interior changes like electrical (solar and alternator charged batteries) and a fridge. And like I mentioned in the first post, this is the first one I'm looking at. It looks like it might fit the bill though.
RONatron is offline   Reply With Quote