Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2008, 11:29 PM   #1
Skoolie

What type of Batteries?

I have an '89BB TC2000 with a 5.9 cummins. 72 passenger. The batteries in it seem to not hold a charge very well. They are from Jan 05. They don't have stickers with model # or cranking amp info. What should I get to replace them? Can I go too big? Too much?

Old 04-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: What type of Batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlor1
I have an '89BB TC2000 with a 5.9 cummins. 72 passenger. The batteries in it seem to not hold a charge very well. They are from Jan 05. They don't have stickers with model # or cranking amp info. What should I get to replace them? Can I go too big? Too much?
Only as far as your pocketbook is concerned. What battery configuration does it have? Maybe you can take some pictures. As a general rule buses came with either 1 or 2 Group 8D batteries or 2-3 Group 31 batteries. There were some exceptions though. My Ford came with a pair of Group 64 (yeah...find those) batteries form the factory.

Jam as much battery as you can in there...
Old 04-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
Skoolie

Yeah it's in a ?series? The one where it's still 12v and the pos is connected to the neg of the other battery. The tray that slides out has a lot of room still. I figured as long as the wires and terminals match up there shouldn't be any problem going bigger.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

That would be in parallel. power sources in series versus parallel has always messed with me. I've always had a much easier time figuring it out when you're talking about a load in a circuit.

Anyway...measure the tray and bring those measurements to a battery store. I would imaging you can fit three Group 31's in there which will give you A LOT of cold cranking amps. A single 8D would be an alternative that results in fewer cold cranking amps, but you will have more reserve capacity. Those of us without glow plugs tend to like the longer reserve capacity because we can crank more whereas those with glowplugs or grid heaters will want higher CCA's to provide enough current to the starter and the heaters. They should not need to crank as long with starting aids so the Group 31's make sense.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
Skoolie

Is there a big difference in price between these types of batteries? I asked the mechanic for our school district and he says the batteries for the same buses that they have are 925 cca and there's two of them. I found some batteries of the same size at walmart with 1000 ca and 850 cca's for $75 each. Otherwise I'll have to order the batteries. I live a kinda small resort town with limited resources and I feel shipping on those heavy ass batteries would cost a fortune. I may be able to order through the school district though since I'm an employee.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
Bus Geek

A single 8D will likely run you in the neighborhood of $150-$175 depending on the vendor. I would expect to pay $80 for a Group 31. Needless to say...a pair of Group 31's is a wash with a single 8D. Three Group 31's will cost more than a single 8D. A pair of 8D's will be the most expensive option.

Does your bus use post style connections or stud style connections? This will make a big difference.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
Skoolie

It has post style terminals. I'm going to buy some deep cycles soon for energy storage for appliances. I was just thinking about having a little extra juice for running some 12v heaters for my veggie system during startup. Will the 1 bigger battery hold more power? than the 2 smaller ones? Or is it the same?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
Bus Geek

A pair of Group 31's should have in the neighborhood of 375 minutes of reserve capacity while a single 8D will have more in the neighborhood of 450 minutes of reserve capacity.

It all comes down to size. A single 8D is going to be shorter, but otherwise bigger than a pair of Group 31's. As such it will have more reserve capacity.

My vote is for the 8D provided it fits.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
A single 8D will likely run you in the neighborhood of $150-$175 depending on the vendor. I would expect to pay $80 for a Group 31. Needless to say...a pair of Group 31's is a wash with a single 8D. Three Group 31's will cost more than a single 8D. A pair of 8D's will be the most expensive option.

Does your bus use post style connections or stud style connections? This will make a big difference.
Sorry to barge in on your topic but I think I have to replace my starter batteries. They're just not holding a charge. So in reading up on what to do I notice you asked "post vs. stud" connections. Can you please describe the difference? I don't know which kind I have. And if I have "stud" instead of "post" what do I do?

My bus is a 1986 Carpenter GMC and right now it has two batteries on a tray that slides out. One of the batteries is sort of bulging which I'm guessing is the problem one, but I assume I need to replace both, right?

Mona

PS: Thank GOODNESS for this forum. I still don't know much about engines, motors, alternators, inverters -- but I'm definitely learning.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Posts are on top and you put the cables over the hole , Stud would be called side mount where you screw a bolt into them
almost studs are the ones you put the butterfly nuts on and they are normaly on top of the batteries. But not to cause any more confusion here a little picture which shows it pretty good. Of course there is different set ups too.

swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #11
Bus Geek

That's an awesome picture! Groups 31's use the top stud and the top post style mounts just about equally as often so one must just look and see what they have.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you all! Apparently I have posts. And just to be clear, I am talking about the two batteries outside that start the bus, not the interior ones that run the lights and stuff.

I haven't found ANY batteries less than $100 so I think I'm looking in the wrong places (online). If anyone knows who is selling the less expensive bus batteries, please let me know.

I did find a very cool link that some other people who are also super new to this might benefit from. It explains all about batteries. http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/00.Glossary/
Old 07-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
Bus Geek

To further complicate things some buses use a stud style terminal...on the side of the battery.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

My old batteries look pretty much like this one except they're black. Just plain ordinary looking things. Pretty much like a car battery only longer it seems.