Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Whats Everyone Doing For Labor Day Weekend?

I am loading the bus to move.... no vacationing here!

Anyone vacationing in their buses? Or otherwise?....

ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Whats Everyone Doing For Labor Day Weekend?

HUH...either everyone is already out & about doin stuff or everyone is just doin nothing?
Old 09-06-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Sunday i am going to an open carry picnick where i'll be carrying my 9mm out in the open in a holster. Open carry is completely legal in every city in michigan. The picknic is in warren. A couple of fellow oc'ers have been harrassed by the police in warren, so the obvious thing to do is have 50 or so polite armed people show up and have a bbq in the park!

Many cops either don't know the laws regarding open carry, or they are educated and still choose the make up their own rules. Non-Law abiding cops who infringe upon the civil liberties of others tend to cause quite a stir in the community.

Citizens of michigan have the right to keep and bear arms for the protection of themselves and the state.

Too bad not all law abiding citizens of the united states have the right to keep and bear arms. The 2nd amendment has never been "incorportated" so the feds are the only ones required to honor the 2nd amendment, states are not necessarily required to.

I am also listing the bus for sale on ebay again this weekend if i can find time.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Saturday morning around 8AM, a buddy and I took our DR650 motos out for a 120-mile ride around the dirt roads N of Silver City. About 70% of the time it was raining, and in some cases the dirt roads were quite slippery, which is lotsa fun on a 2-wheeled conveyance. Visited the "ghost town" (there are current inhabitants) of Mogollon, saw Snow Lake and Wall Lake, both beautiful. Drenched, tired and running on fumes, we stopped for gas and eats at Mimbres at about 7PM, got home well after dark, grateful to be on an easy paved road.

Today I will be resting, reading, and drying out my gear.

Tomorrow is wide open. In honor of the holiday I will stay as far from "labor" as possible.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I've got mine out camping this weekend. I'm at Ocean Waves Campground in Cape Hatteras NC...

Weather is not great though, mostly cloudy this weekend and it's suppose to rain tomorrow. Waves were too rough for swimming, and the bay was too rough for the Jetski's...

That bus still gathers a lot of attention at the campground, and when going down the road. Had a whole host of people wanted to look inside, and on the way home people kept waving at me and giving me the thumbs up...

Bus ran great, only had a little trouble with the Speedo at first, I tapped on it once and it has worked the rest of the weekend...about 210 miles each way, and had the Jeep on the tow bar behind the bus, couldn't even tell it was there unless I looked in the rear view camera to make sure it still was there...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

well my water well quit so ive been messin with that and im off to fort mcmurry alberta to go to work in the oilsands tomorrow.takes all day to fly there.rained all day here,but better than fort mac if only the money was as good here than there...........timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #7
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuk
well my water well quit so ive been messin with that and im off to fort mcmurry alberta to go to work in the oilsands tomorrow.takes all day to fly there.rained all day here,but better than fort mac if only the money was as good here than there...........timbuk
Huh, there was a kid on one of my other online forums that went out to the oil sands for work, guess it has been about 1 1/2 years back. Last I heard, he was making good money driving one of those behemoth Terex trucks...
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
Bus Nut

I spent all day Saturday putting together my newly acquired 1999 Jetta Diesel. I bought it with a broken timing belt (later found the water pump bearing failed, the sprocket came apart and that broke the timing belt) I took the head off & found the valves were all ok - very rare with an interference motor... anyway I got it all back together Saturday night, but couldn't get the fuel primed & gave up at about 1am. Sunday morning I removed the fuel lines from the filter & filled it with fuel and got it running. I was excited and wanted to drive it badly.

So I grabbed the plate off my bus & put it on the jetta & took off to go look at a house about 1/2 hour from where I live now. Then I went to visit my sister for a few hours, which happens to be right across the street from a fire station where local cops like to hang out. Apparently while parked there, they ran the plate and found it is to a motorhome (my bus) as soon as we left to go out for dinner I got pulled over. No registration, or insurance - got 2 tickets, and they took my license plate. Luckily they didn't impound the car, they "let" me pay $50 to tow it 1/4 mile back to my sisters so I can come get it on Tuesday when I can get the car legal to drive.

Hopefully today is better than yesterday.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

ah,the old swap the plate game strikes again!You cant do that here either unless you have sold the car the plate came off of and you only have 10 days totransfer.Its like driving with no insurance and is a hefty fine,600 bucks.Then a missuse of plate charge and they will take the plate.Everyone needs a dealer plate!
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

On Friday I made a 6 hour drive south to Kansas City to see Tori Hunter and the Angels play against the Royals. Used the van for this trip. Sunday went to Worlds Of Fun amusement park in KC and camped their in the van for 2 of the nights. First night was camped at a Walmart until nature called (6am) and wouldn't you know it the Walmart was closed until 9am, so left for a 24hour gas station.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF
Saturday morning around 8AM, a buddy and I took our DR650 motos out for a 120-mile ride around the dirt roads N of Silver City. About 70% of the time it was raining, and in some cases the dirt roads were quite slippery, which is lotsa fun on a 2-wheeled conveyance. Visited the "ghost town" (there are current inhabitants) of Mogollon, saw Snow Lake and Wall Lake, both beautiful. Drenched, tired and running on fumes, we stopped for gas and eats at Mimbres at about 7PM, got home well after dark, grateful to be on an easy paved road.

Today I will be resting, reading, and drying out my gear.

Tomorrow is wide open. In honor of the holiday I will stay as far from "labor" as possible.
I can't wait to explore on the motorcycle... sounds like it was a blast, even with the rain! Is there ever a chance of metal detecting something in those "Ghost Towns" in your opinion? Always wanted to try it & see what comes up!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneCamping
I've got mine out camping this weekend. I'm at Ocean Waves Campground in Cape Hatteras NC...

Weather is not great though, mostly cloudy this weekend and it's suppose to rain tomorrow. Waves were too rough for swimming, and the bay was too rough for the Jetski's...

That bus still gathers a lot of attention at the campground, and when going down the road. Had a whole host of people wanted to look inside, and on the way home people kept waving at me and giving me the thumbs up...

Bus ran great, only had a little trouble with the Speedo at first, I tapped on it once and it has worked the rest of the weekend...about 210 miles each way, and had the Jeep on the tow bar behind the bus, couldn't even tell it was there unless I looked in the rear view camera to make sure it still was there...
Looks great sitting amongst that pile of sticks & staples!
I am sure you get alot of attention in your bus, it looks great! I love the outerbanks, used to windsurf there for many years but haven't returned in a long while... great to hear the trip was almost uneventful. Can't get better than that!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
Apparently while parked there, they ran the plate and found it is to a motorhome (my bus) as soon as we left to go out for dinner I got pulled over. No registration, or insurance - got 2 tickets, and they took my license plate. Luckily they didn't impound the car, they "let" me pay $50 to tow it 1/4 mile back to my sisters so I can come get it on Tuesday when I can get the car legal to drive.

Hopefully today is better than yesterday.
OUCH... lesson learned??

I can't say I haven't done the same thing myself but I was lucky to have "nice" local officers who let me take the car home without a ticket...BUT if I catch you again without taking care of this... needless to say, I took care of it!
I guess it coulda been worse for ya but hey, the Jetta is running so thats a bonus!
We just sold our second Jetta, we like 'em!
Old 09-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

heh i worked labor day...time and a half is to good to pass up
cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmah
camped at a Walmart until nature called (6am) and wouldn't you know it the Walmart was closed until 9am, so left for a 24hour gas station.
A porta-potti is a FINE piece of equipment to ALWAYS have on hand...
Well yes a portable is nice to have. But to help everyone understand the situation I explain. I do have a bucket with a seat and liners if need be, doubles as garbage can. I'd use them if it was rainy and wet outside. I have one of them portable bottles for me. But the friend, she has limited mobility and using the bucket can be somewhat of a pain. So it is just easier to go into a store, rest area or whatever is near by.

My next trip is in a few weeks to Iowa for one night in the van again. I'm hoping to get the bus out at least once more before we get too into the fall as it has everything in it so no need to go outside.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

took mine out on labor day weekend to the Little lake by Newton Kansas. Had one old man come by and said I should get the award for the best camping unit on the campgrounds. I let him look inside and he was so impressed he hollered at his wife to come over from another campsite to have a look. Needless to say... my chest was EXTREMELY puffed out after that!! There was another skoolie parked on the other side of the lake but I never made it over there to check it out. Had a good weekend. I sure wish I had an awning though. hanging camo netting is not fun! The roof of the bus gets HOT on my poor bare feet!!
Had a pretty good weekend altogether.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I have a theory about all of those campgrounds that don't allow skoolies:
It isn't that they disapprove of your "homebuilt RV" because it's home-built....it's that, after seeing how cool your "cheap" RV looks on the inside compared to their 100k + stick-and-staple RV's most people think they paid way too much for the junk they're driving (and still making payments on), they see we are having as much (if not more) fun as they are having, and we have all the modern conveniences that their RV's have as well as many others the manufacturers don't even offer... say a WATERBED for instance.... , and then those people begin to think about how much these campgrounds are charging them for what we're all getting somewhere else (cause we talk about where all we've been/stayed) and they leave the expensive campgrounds for the smaller, cheaper, places to stay.

Can't have those pesky skoolies telling everybody how bad they're getting fleeced for that "exclusive" campground!!
Amen!