Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #1

Question Wheel Lock for Bus Tires

Hi, I tried searching the forums but I haven't found anything and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions because google and amazon aren't helping... what do you use for a tire lock on your skoolie? I have the regular boot on my work trailer but the tires on the bus are too wide for the standard boot lock and I really want one for my peace of mind for when we leave the bus parked and take the jeep on adventures.

WhiskeyandWandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyandWandering View Post
Hi, I tried searching the forums but I haven't found anything and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions because google and amazon aren't helping... what do you use for a tire lock on your skoolie? I have the regular boot on my work trailer but the tires on the bus are too wide for the standard boot lock and I really want one for my peace of mind for when we leave the bus parked and take the jeep on adventures.
How about this one? Semi Trailer Wheel Locks - Save Your Gear
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
You could copy the design or use it as a place to start and build your own. A large shrouded padlock and some heavy metal would build something that would work for a lot less money. IMHO. You mentioned a work trailer, what kind of work?
Old 09-01-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
chain through any rim, tire around the frame,chassis and a padlock
i actually go out of my way to hide that set up so whoever cant see it and dont know its there until the oh **** moment
but anything like that is only there for more of a showing cause if anyone wants something and is experienced in cutting metal then it doesnt matter how you secure it?
long story short?
i had a weld trailer with everything on it and the way we secured it when we left it on the job was i had made a solid piece of cold rolled steel that went through rim to rim with a padlock?
it worked and was almost easier than a chain cause it was a solid piece but that crew called one morning cause they needed to move the trailer and couldnt because the padlock key broke off in the lock.
i said cut it off and young man said with what?
really you have a full weld trailer with torches,gang box full of grinders.band saws ,cords what else do you need? He said i need power? Crank up your machine cause thats where you get your work 120 from anyway?
didnt hear anything else and i got to the job 4 hours away and instead of cutting the padlock with the broke key in it and right in your face if you kneel down at the trailer tire. he cut the bar under the trailer and pulled them out.
made me realize that even given the proper equipment stupid people are everywhere but also made me feel stupid because i realized that the trailer axle was secured but the oxy/acet bottles never get secured so in that idea it doesnt matter what latch or lock you put on it cause anybody that knows a weld trailer and wants to steal knows that it has the tools to cut almost anything and could have there own to support there thief effort
i have several battery powered tools that can cut almost anything in a minute,
all the top name brand and including the other brands make tools with lights in them for construction/destruction workers that do what they are designed for very well but put a 60v milwaukee minihaxawl in a thiefs hands and you can quit wasting your money in chaining your tires
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Are you worried about thieves towing your bus off? Maybe disabling the engine in some hidden way would be more practical. I'm pretty worried about security myself since my bus was robbed three times in its original parking spot, but I've never felt it was likely that someone would make off with the bus itself.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
chain through any rim, tire around the frame,chassis and a padlock
i actually go out of my way to hide that set up so whoever cant see it and dont know its there until the oh **** moment
but anything like that is only there for more of a showing cause if anyone wants something and is experienced in cutting metal then it doesnt matter how you secure it?
long story short?
i had a weld trailer with everything on it and the way we secured it when we left it on the job was i had made a solid piece of cold rolled steel that went through rim to rim with a padlock?
it worked and was almost easier than a chain cause it was a solid piece but that crew called one morning cause they needed to move the trailer and couldnt because the padlock key broke off in the lock.
i said cut it off and young man said with what?
really you have a full weld trailer with torches,gang box full of grinders.band saws ,cords what else do you need? He said i need power? Crank up your machine cause thats where you get your work 120 from anyway?
didnt hear anything else and i got to the job 4 hours away and instead of cutting the padlock with the broke key in it and right in your face if you kneel down at the trailer tire. he cut the bar under the trailer and pulled them out.
made me realize that even given the proper equipment stupid people are everywhere but also made me feel stupid because i realized that the trailer axle was secured but the oxy/acet bottles never get secured so in that idea it doesnt matter what latch or lock you put on it cause anybody that knows a weld trailer and wants to steal knows that it has the tools to cut almost anything and could have there own to support there thief effort
i have several battery powered tools that can cut almost anything in a minute,
all the top name brand and including the other brands make tools with lights in them for construction/destruction workers that do what they are designed for very well but put a 60v milwaukee minihaxawl in a thiefs hands and you can quit wasting your money in chaining your tires
I certainly agree but in the spirit of slowing thiefs down a shrouded high quality padlock in an inaccessable location helps. But if the torch comes out or someone has plenty of time...
Old 09-01-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
When I was younger, the university I attended installed a wheel lock on my truck for free. All I had to do was not pay for parking.

Food for thought.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:04 AM   #8

Thanks, I have a house flipping business and I converted a trailer into a mobile work office so we put two boots on it when it's parked at the job site and so far it's stayed put, but those tires are small so regular boots worked for that. I'm thinking I'll try to create something like you suggested, I will have a ring doorbell on the bus that will show me if anyone comes close to it, and since we will be living in it full time and just doing some side day time adventures in the jeep we shouldn't be too far from it, so I just need a deterrent to hold them off before I can get back the bus and dish out a beat down
WhiskeyandWandering is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot, lock, tires, wheel