Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Where can I park my bus? The other side of the story...

Good Morning All,

I have read numerous post regarding hassles that folks have finding a place to park their bus. Stories of fights with local officials, neighbors and law enforcement.

It amazes me how many places can be so extremely restrictive about what kind of (registered & operational) vehicle you are allowed to park in your own driveway.

It occurred to me that new people to the forum may get discouraged by the apparent hassle involved with parking a bus on your own private property. I thought I would share "the other side" as far as local regs and experience parking buses, trucks & RV's in my little part of the world.

I am about an hour from Seattle and live a few miles out of "town" proper. We are on .25-.33 acre lots.

We are able to park pretty much anything we want as long as it does not create a danger to our neighbors. The exception would be "excessive" accumulation of non-operative vehicles. No "junk yards". Even that is not vigorously enforced.

I find the idea that some idiot can tell me that I cannot park my own vehicle in my own driveway offensive .

If I go into town in my 40' Bluebird and park on a public roadway there are some restrictions. The vehicle must be registered and operational. Also, I am limited to 72 hours in one spot.

Have hope ! There are Skoolie tolerant places to be found. Don't read the trials of those who live in oppressive communities and assume that it is that way everywhere.

BTW: There is a creek front lot for sale down the road with water, power & septic installed.

Perhaps oters in "Skoolie friendly" zones will speak up and give us more ideas of where we ARE welcome.

Take care.

S.
Attached Thumbnails
Creek 3.jpg  

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
It sounds like you have found about a perfect place to put a skoolie.

That said, for those of us who can't move "an hour away from" a major city and still make a living, I'd still contend that the first thing that should be considered before buying 40' yellow box should be to find a suitable parking spot. There have been too many sad stories over the years of would be Skoolies having their dreams wrecked only because they bought first and looked second. It is what it is.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

...creek front lot...
We got different ideas of 'creek'. That's a raging rapids around here !
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
We got different ideas of 'creek'. That's a raging rapids around here !

It is on the high side in that picture. During the Summer the water is 6-8' deep in the deepest spots. This time of the year it gets close to 30' deep in spots and is the home to white water kayak'ers with a deathwish.....

It also comes equipped with steelhead.....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote