Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2018, 06:38 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFish View Post
Some people are not the auction whisperers like you are EC. You are excellent at it. There are some people who hate auctions. This is for them. I like auctions and in person. Either way you need to be patient. However, some of the better buses or deals you need to move fast especially if you are looking for specific options.

That is asking price. The have a lot of buses for sale so they always need to move inventory. The end of the month or year can be a great time to buy. I love to negotiate.

Here is great book to help in the negotiation. Never Split The Difference

https://www.ebay.com/p/Summary-Never...9228813&chn=ps
FL bus dealers are the WORST place to get any kind of deal. Those prices are just laughable.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:18 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I purchased my bus from Tampa Bus Market (FL) Excellent deal. They have all ranges of prices and buses - they let you test drive them - and go through them - plus have spare parts if needed.
There were no hidden a fees - and registered it for me as a van conversion.

I would buy again from them.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7211.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	744.2 KB
ID:	26147
Old 10-02-2018, 08:42 AM   #23
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
FL bus dealers are the WORST place to get any kind of deal. Those prices are just laughable.
It sounds like you have tried at many of them.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Engine: 6.0L 366 Chevy Big Block
Rated Cap: 47
Bought it from a guy for 300$ . He kept getting tickets for parking it places and just wanted it gone basically .
arod79sae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
It sounds like you have tried at many of them.
I'm not really into dealing with a middleman.
Fl buses just aren't that great to begin with and when you factor in the crazy prices it just doesn't make much sense to me to shop for a bus here.
Of course there are always exceptions. I usually would say to avoid GA buses but I managed to find a hidden gem with a really crappy auction listing that scared the other buyers away.
$1625 out the door for a bus with 64k original miles.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Any used bus dealer is going to inflate the prices to make a profit - those dealers are in every state.

If you find a shady dealer - then you will likely get a shady deal. If you find a decent dealer - then you will likely get a decent deal - but there are never any guarantees.

The same rings true with gov. public auction sites. You may get a great deal - or a dud.
Some districts swap out parts from buses that are going to auction - some auction off really great buses with low mileage simply because of the age of the bus. Some bus districts have really great maintenance programs - others do not. Some buses are just lemons... ever have a new car that was one nightmare repair after another?

I don't think that all buses or dealers in any particular state are all bad. Always do your research. But note that even two identical buses from the same district may function differently - and one may be a gem, while the other may be probable junk. Any time you buy something used it will be a gamble.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
FB marketplace is where i found mine. I was surprised at the number of buses on it. More of the " started conversion" types.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Tampa Bus Market has many buses in the $6500 range, some better buses than yours. Yet you say theirs are not worth the asking price, bur your $1625 bus is worth $7500 all day long. I don't understand your rational.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:48 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC/Gasser
Rated Cap: 54
Saw mine on Craigslist. It was languishing at a Pawn shop for several months!!
chopanegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:39 AM   #30
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
FB marketplace is where i found mine. I was surprised at the number of buses on it. More of the " started conversion" types.
A started or completed bus can have some advantages! Esp if they they have done some of the tough work or upgrades.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:44 AM   #31
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
Always do your research. But note that even two identical buses from the same district may function differently - and one may be a gem, while the other may be probable junk. Any time you buy something used it will be a gamble.
This is true. They might have stolen parts from it. Look at it yourself and get someone who knows buses look at it before you buy.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:25 AM   #32
Skoolie

I was watching a video and they found the bus they wanted here in FL.

Avery's Used Bus and Trucks

Avery's Used Buses Trucks Rescue Trolley's Vans Shuttles Ports South Florida
Old 10-03-2018, 05:40 AM   #33
Bus Geek

I'd have no trouble selling a bus with 64k original miles for $7500 here in the sunshine state.

It would be a bargain compared to these clowns-
Used School Buses For Sale - Better Buses @ Better Prices - We deliver school buses nation wide
Old 10-03-2018, 07:03 AM   #34
Skoolie

Quote:
I'd have no trouble selling a bus with 64k original miles for $7500 here in the sunshine state.

It would be a bargain compared to these clowns-
Used School Buses For Sale - Better Buses @ Better Prices - We deliver school buses nation wide
I don't think you would with your bus. You have nice ride. There is more demand in the South East now.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:52 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ultimately for a Bus dealer it comes down to markup and revenue.. at any time ive seen what look to be some great busses on Tampa Bus market site at great prices and other times im like WTF?

when the dealer has plenty of cash in the bank and has the luxury of selling fewer units at a slower pace for more markup, the prices go up.. fully capable companies can go through a "cash-crunch" - receivables are high,payments arent coming in, but rent is due and they just need to get some Cash in the bank then they sell at less of a markup to move some units and gain revenue.. or if perhaps they want / need to rediuce inventory..

a dealer buying busses at auction, takes the same risks any of us do .. they may buy a bus, drive it 500 miles only to have it blow up on them.. so the idea of selling fewer units at higher markup means less busses they have to transport to their lot, less paperwork, less risk of a total dud unit..

and the market changes.. ie as most of us know not in the far too distant past , schools practically couldnt give busses away.. now they are popular and are a premium..

the Clowns EC mentions that sell busses at a HIGH price, seem to still sell them.. so they keep marking them up..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:09 AM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I don't understand your rational.
'Rational' is a verb....the word you want is 'rationale'.

There are several online dictionaries available if you need one. Having the correct word at your disposal while beating dead horses can be invaluable.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
'Rational' is a verb....the word you want is 'rationale'.

There are several online dictionaries available if you need one. Having the correct word at your disposal while beating dead horses can be invaluable.
You sure make a lot of assumptions for one typo . But thanks for your help. I'll take you on any day when it comes to grammar and spelling. Now go waste some time going back through my replies to find other errors.

You can start by viewing one of those on line dictionaries yourself. If you had you would have known that 'Rational' is an adjective or a noun, never a verb.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
I don't think you would with your bus. You have nice ride. There is more demand in the South East now.
The exporters and charter schools are why the buses here are so expensive.
Back when I was much younger buses were so unwanted you could often find one for free just to get it off someone's property.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #39
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Now, now. Play nice!
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 6 Cyl Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 46
Ebay

I heard about my bus on this forum but it was on Ebay.
truth2ak is offline   Reply With Quote