Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #41
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The exporters and charter schools are why the buses here are so expensive.
Back when I was much younger buses were so unwanted you could often find one for free just to get it off someone's property.
Those were the days!

Old 10-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post

You can start by viewing one of those on line dictionaries yourself. If you had you would have known that 'Rational' is an adjective or a noun, never a verb.
Yep....I know it's not a verb.....must have still been half-asleep when I wrote that. But man enough to admit to my mistakes.

Still claiming a typo? Convenient, but expected.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Freightliner Thomas
Engine: 5.9L Cummins Diesel
Rated Cap: 71
BGA School Buses!

We got our bus from BGA School Buses (also called Florida Church Bus). They are a family-owned business and have been doing this for decades. They are absolutely terrific and I highly recommend them.

Used School Buses For Sale - Better Buses @ Better Prices - We deliver school buses nation wide

At first I called up knowing very little about school buses. I spoke with Betty several times. She answered all my questions and explained all sorts of things about types of school buses, engines, etc. and helped me figure out what I wanted. Everyone I interacted with (mostly Betty, but also her husband and her father-in-law) knows a ton about school buses and they are happy to answer questions.

They have buses listed on their site (click on a bus image to see more photos) but you can also tell them what you’re looking for and they will try to find it. Also if you have questions about a bus they are happy to send you particular pictures, measurements, etc.

I think some people prefer to get a bus about as inexpensively as possible and then do more repair work on it and take more risk that it’ll be no good. I am not mechanically inclined, and I was willing to pay more than the minimum to get a bus that I expect to work well. BGA’s prices are very reasonable, and Betty worked with me to find a bus that fit my budget. Typically BGA makes sure the bus works well, but for people who want it, they also offer buses that need more work at lower prices, and they’ll tell you what they think it needs. They also take on the risk – Betty said that a while ago she had to scrap two buses she’d bought because she couldn’t even get them home. I’d rather they take on that risk and I get a bus that I know will run.

When Betty delivered our bus, she took the time to show us through it, gave us tips for converting it, and even helped us learn how to drive it. She offered continuing support and continues to be very responsive as we’ve had more questions. She also gave me tips on how to maintain the bus over time.

The company offers services like painting, oil/filter changes, seat removal, rust work, title change to motorhome. They can do services that aren’t listed on their web site, so I suggest talking with them about what you want. I had all sorts of special questions and requests and they were very patient and accommodating. They also often list their buses before they have cleaned them; I noticed our bus before they cleaned it and I got a lower price for taking it without the cleaning.

For me, finding and buying a bus would have been a lot more stressful if we hadn’t decided early on that we trusted BGA School Buses and would find our bus through them. Besides being very knowledgeable, it’s clear that their goal is not to “make a sale,” but rather to help people be satisfied and safe buying school buses.
olives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If anyone wants to save themselves thousands of dollars I'll hold your hand and answer questions while you bid against BGA on GovDeals and Public Surplus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:24 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

I do i do!!!
I would love a flat nose rear engine with low miles
And a great powertrain..

I dont mind holding hands. And taking advise
Mark carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:14 AM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
Rated Cap: 72
freightliner 120k c7 allison maine $6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy View Post
I had most of these in my list, but AAA and A-Z are both new to me. Already have inquiries in to both of them for some decent buses. Getting tired of the emotional rollercoaster that auctions send you on, lost out on 2 awesome busses this week.
very good condition little rust good rubber im thinking about building it but i want a pusher this is the conventional style thomas it just came off the road the schools here can only run them 10 years or 120 k very well maintained too drivers service their own busses runs drives perfect!
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:40 AM   #47
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark carr View Post
I do i do!!!
I would love a flat nose rear engine with low miles
And a great powertrain..

I dont mind holding hands. And taking advise
Where you located?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Im out on long island ny. Home of road salt
and chemicals. I know this because i deliver the road salt to the road yards in the winter lol.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:23 AM   #49
Bus Geek

Quote:
Im out on long island ny. Home of road salt
and chemicals. I know this because i deliver the road salt to the road yards in the winter lol.
well you know you're in for a drive for a decent bus then!
Old 10-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Definitely dont want a north eastcoast bus
Old 10-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #51
Bus Geek

Quote:
Some nice RE buses out west.
Washington and Oregon seem to have really nice ones.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFish View Post
A started or completed bus can have some advantages! Esp if they they have done some of the tough work or upgrades.
My bus had a half hearted attempt at converting it.. i tore everything out, including original rubber and wood under the laminate floor..lol
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Got mine on Facebook.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:34 AM   #54
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
My bus had a half hearted attempt at converting it.. i tore everything out, including original rubber and wood under the laminate floor..lol
Sometimes you need to start from scratch.

I was thinking if someone else took it apart then it might be more difficult for me to figure out where it needs to be attached.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFish View Post
Sometimes you need to start from scratch.

I was thinking if someone else took it apart then it might be more difficult for me to figure out where it needs to be attached.
If its down to bare floors its a plus in my book. Tearing out the pre construction was a pain to tear out
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #56

Year: 1990
Chassis: S6000
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Naturally Aspirated
Rated Cap: 70
We found our bus on FB Marketplace. Being sold by a church. I would do it again as they just had it inspected by DOT as an activity bus. I was able to crawl the the entire length of the bus and look at the maintenance records. I lucked out as others I’ve seen were not as well kept so to no maint. Requirements for private ownership and usage. Good luck!
Bonnie Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:28 AM   #57
Skoolie

Quote:
Wise man there!
Old 11-20-2018, 04:02 AM   #58
Skoolie

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If anyone wants to save themselves thousands of dollars I'll hold your hand and answer questions while you bid against BGA on GovDeals and Public Surplus.
I may take you up on that. I have been in touch with the seller - Melissa - for the Austin, TX ISD. Their listings are on Public Surplus. She was very helpful. I also spoke with Cameron at Fleet Service in Austin, and he will do mobile inspection, and maybe even pickup and service following a purchase.

My time frame is to buy and fly down down in April to drive it back to CT. I think I'm settled on a six-window with wheelchair door, DT466 or T444, any tranny except 545.

Joe
TeacherJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:30 AM   #59
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherJoe View Post
I may take you up on that. I have been in touch with the seller - Melissa - for the Austin, TX ISD. Their listings are on Public Surplus. She was very helpful. I also spoke with Cameron at Fleet Service in Austin, and he will do mobile inspection, and maybe even pickup and service following a purchase.

My time frame is to buy and fly down down in April to drive it back to CT. I think I'm settled on a six-window with wheelchair door, DT466 or T444, any tranny except 545.

Joe
I've got a bus like that and its awesome.