Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Where did you work on your bus?

Where did everyone park their skoolies while they were working on them? I'm hoping to start my own project soon and am trying to figure out the pros and cons of various options (ex, driveway has easy access to power but might annoy neighbors; back yard is more private but less convenient, etc).

focalmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
Bus Nut

It's such a personal / situational thing, no? I'm parking mine right in my driveway... but I have 2 acres and tolerant neighbors, plus I don't plan to be cutting on it at 2am... No cranky HOAs here either. Half my neighbors park their boats right on their front lawns.
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I'm unfortunately not a homeowner so I'm scouting for potential locations. I was hoping there might be other folks out there that didn't have places of their own that might have some advice on finding a good work area.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
You may have to rent some space somewhere. Or do what I did and ask a friend.
Just stay on their good side!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I am trying to solution the same problem... probably still a couple of months away from buying but still not sure where to put it once it's mine. I live in the 'burbs with an HOA from hell so I definitely can't store it here (only thing that would fit in my driveway is a shorty anyway) but I am hopeful I may be able to store it close by and bring it home to work on as often as I can. I've got to read the covenants again to see how much trouble I will get in for that alone. I've got friends and relatives who own their own businesses and shops but so far whenever I bring up the subject of needing a place to store a school bus project... well lets just say I would get the same reaction if I started drooling or picking my nose, they just kind of look away uncomfortably and act like they didn't hear me. lol.... Assholes, but I understand and love them anyway So, probably I am going to end up paying for outside storage somewhere, but I can't seem to find prices online and I haven't gotten around to calling any of the places that say they offer this service. Has anyone done a storage yard and been able to work on their bus there? I can't imagine what the issue would be but it sounds like the kind of thing a storage place might get huffy about... final option for me would be family that would let me park it in their driveway, but really just don't live close enough.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Question- where are you going to keep a bus when its converted?
Some storage yards are cool, some won't allow working on vehicles due to insurance and lawsuits etc.
The local "really scary trailer park" has a fenced off area that people can use for rv storage. 30 a month, not too bad. But no power or water available.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Once the conversion is done, I'm hitting the road. This is actually gonna be my permanent residence for a while, so when I'm done driving I'll be living in an RV park most like.

The upside is that my bus is gonna be a shorty, so it would fit in someone's driveway, I just don't know how well that would fly with the neighbors. It's a shame, too, because I've got a buddy that lives in a cul-de-sac but I don't wanna piss off his neighbors by having my project camped out in his driveway for a month or two.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
Bus Geek

A month or two...
Ahhh you're still wet behind the ears, or- very ambitious!
Don't take that negatively. I thought the same thing. I've been two or three weeks now just working on the underside of the roof. AND I am unemployed. Granted, I've been a bit lazy due to frustration at the tar I'm having to remove.
People show up to "help" but in reality its going to be 99% my own hard work. Most friends show up and drink beers, and give me lots of unsolicited advice/opinions. Lately the main theme from my buddies is "I'd leave that tar" and " theres no reason to do that". After a half dozen of the suggestions I start to get really annoyed. Getting anyone to do any actual hard labor is next to impossible.
That's ok, I'm fine with it. I'm just going at the pace that feels right.
I made sure I had THREE places available for working on it and storing it. The first bus I got I lost due to not having anywhere to keep it. It can be VERY tricky depending on who you are and where you are.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:14 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

A month or two may be a little ambitious, but at the same time this will be my only project for that entire time. I plan to be working on it all day seven days a week with two of my buddies helping out on weekends (they're good friends I've worked with before so I know what to expect). We'll also have an electrician buddy to help out when it's time for that.

So yeah, it could wind up longer, but for now I'm gonna operate under a two month timeframe so that it keeps me motivated. We'll see how it goes.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Hey I salute you, man.
A positive attitude is a pretty good tool to have!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Once it's just straight storage and I am not constantly working on it (that day DOES come right? ) it can be stored a little further away if necessary. Ours will be a vacationer, probably lived in 4 weeks a year at most.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #12
Bus Nut

In our driveway. We live in the county, no HOA either. Every school day, a bus drives by and the driver gives us a BIG ol' wave!

Drove the bus home on Oct 22 and it's been live in ready for a while now. All efforts are on exterior paint and some now resolved Onan issues.

I worked on it daily for a few hours, no Sundays.
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Roughly when was it finished?

I probably should've also pointed out that I don't expect to be 100% done within two months, just that it'll be livable by then. Furniture, carpentry, and finishing touches I'm happy to take my time with.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #14
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dond View Post
In our driveway. We live in the county, no HOA either. Every school day, a bus drives by and the driver gives us a BIG ol' wave!

Drove the bus home on Oct 22 and it's been live in ready for a while now. All efforts are on exterior paint and some now resolved Onan issues.

I worked on it daily for a few hours, no Sundays.
you finished with the big job man? good to se ya back.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #15
Bus Nut

I measure success when I took a shower in it, yes with hot water That was Feb 5th.

Hot and cold water, sink, toilet, shower all functional. TV/DVD working with it own ant. Functional bed, 2 recliners, curtains, rugs, AC, heat, patio light, cooking facilities, refer, int. lighting, all the comforts...
Old 02-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Nicely done! All of that in just over three months! You've given me something to strive for.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #17
Site Team

Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by focalmatter View Post
Nicely done! All of that in just over three months! You've given me something to strive for.
he is young.....................................and rich......................................and has servants............................
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

You mean you don't?
Old 02-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Yea...Young is a relative thing. 69 y/o, on SS and my servants have all quit
Old 02-27-2015, 05:02 AM   #20
Site Team