Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2008, 04:27 AM   #1

Where do you park?

I am just looking into getting into the converted school bus thing and my biggest hurdle right now is parking. I rent a room from a friend who owns a house and I am confident he would never go for me parking a 40-foot bus out front. I live in the Dallas area so we don't have acres to store it on while I work on a conversion. How do most of the people here store their skoolies when they are not on the road? Are there places that will rent you parking space at a reasonable rate?

Thanks for contributing to such a creative and exciting site.

Aaron

Karma50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Re: Where do you park?

Right now I park in my driveway but I used to park it on a residential street and move it twice a day. As long as you are not breaking the law they can't prevent you from parking it on the street.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Bus Nut

For the first 6 months I had my bus I had it at my cousins house in his backyard. At that time (summer/fall 2004) I was looking to buy my first house. I worked in a city and wanted a house outside the city, but in my 100K price range all I could find were old house trailers on 5 acres, with a 45 min drive to work. I ended up finding a house on 1/2 acre in the city with enough room next to the garage to park a bus. Technically my bus is a few inches over the length limit - according to the city ordinance, but in over 3 years I've been here with the bus, I've never had a complaint.

Here's a few pictures, this was about 3 years ago before I painted my bus. Now it's a little more neighborhood friendly.

And from my side door to my house (the one we use all the time)

Old 02-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Bus Nut

We moved from Ca to Idaho twenty years ago. The move was great. Our place is on 10 acres and have 12 buses parked all over. A new guy just built a $1.3 million house and asked what I was gonna do with the buses. He doesn't want to look out his window and see old buses. I told him to plant lots of trees. We live at the end of a private road with no traffic about 8 miles from town. This place is heaven. A bus buddy lives near LA and pays $225 per month at a storage place, with no working on bus. The spring is coming and all is good. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-id
A new guy just built a $1.3 million house and asked what I was gonna do with the buses. He doesn't want to look out his window and see old buses.
What did he think you were going to them! He must have known they were there when he built the house.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

LOL @ the vents!

I live in Air Force housing. I store my bus in the RV storage lot on base. It runs me $15 a month. When I want to work on the bus, I drive over there, leave one of my cars, and drive the bus home for a few days. I just park it in my driveway and it barely fits. So far, I haven't had any problems except from some silly airman cop who wanted to try and enforce rules on me that don't exist. Some people just can't stand it when you have a hobby or you're having fun. They just hate it.
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Maybe post an ad on your local Craigslist, offering to pay some rent for a secure space with electricity. You never know.

Good luck
Sean
Old 03-17-2008, 03:42 AM   #8

Year: 1966
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 454
Rated Cap: 43

Solve the whole dilema. I put up ads all over. Man with school bus looking to rent. Just need a driveway, etc and a hydro cord for power. The rent is cheap. Probably cheaper than that room. The cost I save from living / working on the bus while not paying normal rent goes back into the bus. Project finished . Then off into the open road, or whatever floats your boat. Me,....I,m off to Daytona 500 next year. Cheerz !
IsolationRide is offline   Reply With Quote