Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 11:12 AM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_blue View Post
That's what I recall hearing but couldn't understand why that would be due to the tag axle position. I'd give more credence to the suspension system.

I know turning radius can be affected by tandems and tag axles and contemporary coaches have countersteering tag axles to prevent the 'subordinate' axle from scrubbing it's tires in the sideways motion of parking lot and corner turns. In trucking when you have three and four or more axles on a trailer you also have lift control or else you can't turn the trailer without dragging some of the tires sideways, causing wear and tear on the tires and burdening your engine trying to overcome the lateral drag. I know the problem isn't as pronounced in a tag axle or tandem coach configuration but I figured it's still a minor factor.

I appreciate the feedback and insight.
I ran about 250k miles in my Model 10 (aft tag) and the only time it was "bouncy" was at a certain speed if I hit a big bump it would initiate kind of a poirpising motion. I would slow or speed up just a bit and it would stop.

I rode in a couple of Model 1's & 5's (forward tag) and I don't think that they were quite as smooth as the later coaches. What was the difference: tag placement or 30 additional years of suspension wear???

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #62
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
I've heard mentions of a Bluebird tandem axle bus but I've never even seen a picture or any other details.

Did they ever make any?
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:50 PM   #63
Bus Nut

'87 Crown on EBAY

Super Clean Southern California 78 Passenger Crown School Bus | eBay

BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:22 AM   #64
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78
I have several Crowns in my fleet. One is fully converted for use in my business (my 1988 Crown). My 1986 tandem Crown has an Cummins 855 turbo rated at 350 horses and came with a 5 speed manual. I replaced it with a 10 speed overdrive Roadranger. The mechanics are telling me it could go 90 to 95 mph with this configuration. I have no intention of finding out. I can tell you that it goes up hills and mountains like they were flat. Trucks doing 30 to 35 on the steepest grades and I was holding the bus back and still doing 70 and wasn't even in 10th gear yet.

By the way, I have also noticed that Crowns are getting scarce. I am always on the look out. I bought two 1987 Crowns recently from a school district and donated one to a vintage bus museum in Minnesota that has 80+ buses but needed a Crown. It went to a good home.

I have been told that Long Beach Unified School District is going to be auctioning off the last of its Crowns very soon. Also, Anaheim Union High School District still has a bunch of Crowns. Some of them may be headed to the crusher if it gets grants. If no grants, the District may still need to get rid of them and thus would probably send them off for auction.

If you are looking for Crowns, these may be just about the last ones leaving the fleets of school districts in California.

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #65
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarvel View Post
I have several Crowns in my fleet. One is fully converted for use in my business (my 1988 Crown). My 1986 tandem Crown has an Cummins 855 turbo rated at 350 horses and came with a 5 speed manual. I replaced it with a 10 speed overdrive Roadranger. The mechanics are telling me it could go 90 to 95 mph with this configuration. I have no intention of finding out. I can tell you that it goes up hills and mountains like they were flat. Trucks doing 30 to 35 on the steepest grades and I was holding the bus back and still doing 70 and wasn't even in 10th gear yet.

By the way, I have also noticed that Crowns are getting scarce. I am always on the look out. I bought two 1987 Crowns recently from a school district and donated one to a vintage bus museum in Minnesota that has 80+ buses but needed a Crown. It went to a good home.

I have been told that Long Beach Unified School District is going to be auctioning off the last of its Crowns very soon. Also, Anaheim Union High School District still has a bunch of Crowns. Some of them may be headed to the crusher if it gets grants. If no grants, the District may still need to get rid of them and thus would probably send them off for auction.

If you are looking for Crowns, these may be just about the last ones leaving the fleets of school districts in California.

It's too bad I missed the wave of cheap Crowns back 5-6 years ago....now they're all either being sold by the flippers for 200% markup or the bidding on the auction ones go sky high

Guess I'll just have to be content with a newer Bluebird/Thomas RE
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #66
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
It's too bad I missed the wave of cheap Crowns back 5-6 years ago....now they're all either being sold by the flippers for 200% markup or the bidding on the auction ones go sky high

Guess I'll just have to be content with a newer Bluebird/Thomas RE
Don't leave IC/Amtran's out- Mine is a much better bus than my Thomas was.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote