Old 06-13-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
Where have all of the Crown's gone?

Hey Everyone,

I have been looking about at potential busses for my conversion. Lately I have been focusing on Blubird and Thomas. Then I saw a classic Crown running down the road...

What first got me started looking at Skoolies was a visit to SoCal and I saw several beautiful Crown's lined up dropping kids off and the Mission at San Juan Capistrano. I fell in love with the lines.

I looked back then and found quite a number of them for sale and lots of discussion of how CARB & Federal subsidy were forcing schools all over CA having to retire their Crown busses.

I have started looking again and the multitude has disappeared. Where have they all gone? Any auction sites, dealers or other places that you would point me?

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut
As I understand, California actually started destroying some of them because of the emissions issue. Otherwise, they've been rare for some time and will only get rarer as time goes by. They're definitely nostalgic.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
Bus Nut
Schools could get 100% reimbursement to replace a Crown if the Crown in question was crushed.

$$$ talk so the vast majority of surplus Crowns have been crushed.

Add in the fact none have been made since 1991 and the result is they are few and far between.

At one time WA state had well over 100 Crowns in service statewide. Now that number is less than a dozen left.

Like anything, something scarce and in great demand equals big $$$.

The last Crown I purchased I got for $750.00 at a sealed auction directly from a school district. Those days are looooooooooooooong gone!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:45 PM   #4
Old 06-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #5
Bus Nut
I wonder how difficult it would be to take a step beyond just a roof raise and reconstruct in the style of a Crown, at least trying to recapture the spirit of its iconic shape.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #6
Bus Geek
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Only in Kalifornia...
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #7
Almost There
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: SafTLiner
Engine: CAT 3126
I know the owners of 3 bus companies that had Crowns ready to be sold, but "middle men" attempted to sell them for huge margins and the buses all ended up being crushed. Even Supercoach II's are getting crushed out for the same reason. A lot of these companies aren't in business to sell buses, just run them to make money.

I currently know where there is one Twinkie with an engine issue that'd sell for a reasonable price. I also know where there are two Detroit powered supercoach II's that have waivers on them until mid 2017. My hope is to grab one of them.
RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Only in Kalifornia...

With a "K"?

I have been wrong all of these years calling it PROC instead of PROK....
Old 06-14-2016, 10:17 AM   #9
Bus Nut
I think the K is in reference to the near-Nazist overburdensome regulation and apparently there's no C in German. Every time I go to California I'm dumbfounded by what Californians are willing to put up with. I spent $10 in nickel-per-bottle fees for buying bottled water. I had to buy plastic bags for .50 each. Every time I fuel up with California's biodiesel my exhaust treatment system goes on the fritz and I end up in the shop. You can thank the California Air Resource Board for so many of these beautiful buses being crushed because retrofitting traditional diesels with exhaust after-treatment systems is $15k per vehicle. There are trucking companies who have stopped hauling into or out of California because they'll pay a several thousand dollar fine each time they take a non compliant truck into the state. Even driving in the state is unattractive to truckers because it's 55mph statewide. I anticipate most every trucking company will eventually add a California surcharge for freight in and out of the state. Then more freight will end up leaving the state via rail, which coincidentally are allowed to do 80mph. And we wonder why the longshoremen or the drayage drivers strike every other week.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #10
Bus Crazy
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Lookup Greg Marvels build, maybe send him a pm he travels Cali working with many school districts he would be your best resource.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote