Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Where to Park Ontario

Hey everyone

Getting my finances in order to get ready to buy our bus. We have a place to park it while we're converting it, however we're trying to figure out where to park once it's built.

My husband is a carpenter and his job moves around the Greater Toronto Area. We've been having lots of discussions and doing a lot of research. From what I have gathered, the GTA is not free-parking friendly--or even cheap.

I tried this website: https://freecampsites.net/#!Ontario&query=region

And at first it looks like a mecca of free parking, until closer inspection in our area reveals only one Walmart and the Hamilton Bay Front area which we could probably only get away with for a night, lol.

Some Rvers mentioned to us as well that Walmarts in Canada aren't as cool about the parking over night deal, so that's a shame.

So, I thought I'd reach out to my fellow Ontarians and Canadians and see where you guys park?

We've looked into campgrounds and they sure are expensive up here and a lot of the provincial parks I've found close to the GTA are seasonal, which doesn't help us for winter, plus I looked at the monthly cost for the lowest price on camping and it's still over thousand a month. Yikes.

I'm currently looking to see if it's possible for us to connect with someone who'd be open to a tiny home on their property, but anymore ideas and recommendations would be helpful.

Thank you so much!

CanadianRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Have you tried storage yards? It seems to me that most places that have storage units also have a yard for RVs and the like. If you smooth talk the owner they may even let you work on the bus while parked there..
Old 11-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Have you tried storage yards? It seems to me that most places that have storage units also have a yard for RVs and the like. If you smooth talk the owner they may even let you work on the bus while parked there..
Hey!

Thanks for replying

That's a good idea. My other thought was seeing if any organic farmers in the area wouldn't mind us parking out of sight and paying them a little rent to stay there. I googled a couple in our area for when we're getting close to finishing our conversion.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:58 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
check out mobile home lots
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Not sure what your plans are, in and out all year round or just winter storage?

I've got mine at a friend of a friends used RV/MH lot stuck in the corner, don't use it in winter months...but could.

He's had tons of inquiries if it was for sale, lol.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
First you need to find and buy a bus. Conversion might take a while longer than you expect, count on that for sure. By then you will figure out where you want to be. Campground living is not for me but might be for you if any will accept your skoolie. I wouldn't count on that either. You will have to become creative about where to park when the time comes. Sorry if I come off as being blunt but you are putting the cart ahead of the horses.
Ontario has tons of parking if you have nerve enough.

John
Old 11-23-2017, 11:50 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
check out mobile home lots
I'll give that a shot, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDD View Post
Not sure what your plans are, in and out all year round or just winter storage?

I've got mine at a friend of a friends used RV/MH lot stuck in the corner, don't use it in winter months...but could.

He's had tons of inquiries if it was for sale, lol.
We're planning on living in the bus full time We're converting the bus on my parent's property, but they don't want us parking there full time after the bus is complete.

My mechanic has a big yard where he lets people park their RVs. I'll give him a shout when we're ready. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
First you need to find and buy a bus. Conversion might take a while longer than you expect, count on that for sure. By then you will figure out where you want to be. Campground living is not for me but might be for you if any will accept your skoolie. I wouldn't count on that either. You will have to become creative about where to park when the time comes. Sorry if I come off as being blunt but you are putting the cart ahead of the horses.
Ontario has tons of parking if you have nerve enough.

John
I've heard that campgrounds aren't always welcoming to skoolies :/ Plus, the ones I've looked at are all seasonal. There were a couple that weren't but with their price, we might as well be paying the rent we are now.

I totally get what you're saying. I'm just a researcher. I research and read as much as I can before, during, and after a project. I like to plan ahead and prepare for as much as I can, even though I know things will come up. We're looking for our bus
Old 11-24-2017, 04:22 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
campground fees vary widely shop around i seen some parked on private land and not long ago had free camping from a farmer on a old home site (that burned down) just to keep cattle rustlers away from that area
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
campground fees vary widely shop around i seen some parked on private land and not long ago had free camping from a farmer on a old home site (that burned down) just to keep cattle rustlers away from that area
Once we're close to finishing, I'll see if I can shop around with some all year campgrounds

I'd love to park on a farm somewhere. That's our preference I think. I grew up on a horse farm, so maybe I can offer to work in trade etc.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:00 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Keep an eye open on Kijiji under RealEstate, Storage for vehicles etc. Saw one last night in my area on a farm. 1/4 acre lot for $500/month. Should be some up your way too I imagine.

John