Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Angelus Oaks, CA
Posts: 26
Which steel?

So all the windows are out and I'm putting in sheet metal. 2 questions.

1. Which gauge steel? I was thinking 18

2. Galvanized or not? I was reading that painting galvanized steel was tricky. I was going to paint the bus with some type of enamel but read it isn't the best for galvanized.
thoughts? Thanks
Alexjpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,438
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexjpx View Post
So all the windows are out and I'm putting in sheet metal. 2 questions.

1. Which gauge steel? I was thinking 18

2. Galvanized or not? I was reading that painting galvanized steel was tricky. I was going to paint the bus with some type of enamel but read it isn't the best for galvanized.
thoughts? Thanks
18ga is what I use. Its perfect for the job.
I just buy regular hot rolled 18, but recently got 3 sheets of cold rolled for the same price and hot rolled.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 2,396
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
18ga is what I use. Its perfect for the job.
I just buy regular hot rolled 18, but recently got 3 sheets of cold rolled for the same price and hot rolled.
I meant to ask you what the going rate was down there for 18g? Not your buddy deal, but going rate. My salvage yard here wants $75 for a 4'x10' sheet of 18g.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,304
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
18g is probably ok as long as you use smaller sheets...like one piece per window. Most bus bodies are around 16g and some fab their metal to odd specs. BB is more like 15g.


As for galvanized, unless you go with Galvalume which is prepped and ready for painting, it can be tricky. Paint will not adhere to galvanized (or aluminum) unless it is properly etched first. Cold rolled steel is much easier to work with and can be welded easily if needed. Galvanized can be quite toxic to weld.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:18 AM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,438
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
18g is probably ok as long as you use smaller sheets...like one piece per window. Most bus bodies are around 16g and some fab their metal to odd specs. BB is more like 15g.


As for galvanized, unless you go with Galvalume which is prepped and ready for painting, it can be tricky. Paint will not adhere to galvanized (or aluminum) unless it is properly etched first. Cold rolled steel is much easier to work with and can be welded easily if needed. Galvanized can be quite toxic to weld.
I have to disagree.
16ga would be overkill for skinning over windows and roof hatches.
I've used 16, 18 and 20 and 18 is definitely the sweet spot for bus skinning.

YMMV of course.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
Skoolie
 
thrifty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 117
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
My ceiling metal was 19 gauge, and thatís what I used to skin probably 12 windows. Saved lots of money on it as well. You can see the results on my thread thing. Now that I have spray foamed and sealed it all it feels solid as a rock.
thrifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,304
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I'm just sayin' the "ideal" is to try and match as closely as possible whatever is on the rig. But if that's not possible, going up one gauge will help reduce the possibility of oil canning if properly installed.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,438
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty1 View Post
My ceiling metal was 19 gauge, and thatís what I used to skin probably 12 windows. Saved lots of money on it as well. You can see the results on my thread thing. Now that I have spray foamed and sealed it all it feels solid as a rock.
Where did you find 19ga??
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #9
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,438
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I'm just sayin' the "ideal" is to try and match as closely as possible whatever is on the rig. But if that's not possible, going up one gauge will help reduce the possibility of oil canning if properly installed.
18 is a little thicker than the buses I've patched up.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #10
Skoolie
 
thrifty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 117
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Which steel?

When I pulled the calipers on my ceiling metal material it was thinner than 18 gauge, and thicker than 20. No joke lol
thrifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.