Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2007, 11:09 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Re: Who has a 427 gas in thier bus??

i couldn't even change the headlight in an E450 ford van type ambulance at work. Had to send it off to the mechanic. You have to remove the battery tray and who knows what else just to get to the headlight. Can't immagine having to do actual engine work to the thing.

phill has a 5.9 in a front engine tc2000, and i've helped him prime the fuel system, and turn up the govenor, and it really isn't that bad. Especially nice when it's raining or cold outside and you're inside the bus staying warm and dry while working on the motor.

A V-motor in that same space would certianly be a lot less fun .

Old 10-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Working on fullsize vans is the pits. I just had to do a fan clutch on an E-150....with a 300 I-6. Just to refresh your memory a 300 is about 12 inches longer than a 302 but it fits in the same tiny ass compartment on a fullsize van. Not cool.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Try the same van with a 6.0 diesel. There's an engine SOMEPLACE under all that crap, but damned if I can see it.

Headlights are actually easy. You don't go in from the back...it's easier to just pull the headlight assembly out (I think six screws), and it comes apart that way.

My friend has had 2 Dodge-chassis class C's. One was a 1977, with a 318 engine. The other is a 1974, with a 440. The 318 was a little tight, the 440 is a real bear. We had to change the heater core. I knew how hard it is, so he took it to a shop. The guy said it would be about $1500. The core lists for about sixty bucks. We did it, and it was a 2-day swear-fest.

For some real fun, try swapping a distributor on a Dodge van with a slant six.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote