Old 10-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Who is making money with their skoolie?

Good evening,

I hope I am posting this in the right area. If not if an admin could advise where the appropriate place to post it would be.

I am starting my search for a bus to convert into my first skoolie. I plan to take it on a nice long road trip across the country and then bring it back home and AirBnB it out.

I am curious if others wouldn't mind sharing what they are doing to make money with their skoolie!

Thank you in advance!

Keith
asquarecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:02 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I think many of us who have put a lot of blood sweat and tears into our builds would rather not have people with no vested interest tearing it up. And they will. If your renting it out, it puts you into a commercial category.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:12 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I didn't put all of this money and work into my home to have some greasy stranger sleeping in my bed. Gross, no thanks!
Old 10-26-2019, 10:25 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

I really doubt that AirBNB renting out accommodation on a **parked stationary** conversion will trigger "commercial use" **as a vehicle**.

Of course your local land use regs may well have something to say about it, but AirBNB's whole business model has been built on flouting those.

If the tenants are driving it around on public roads, well totally different, good luck with that.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:53 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 65?
After converting my bus, seeing what is possible and how affordable it can be, I've been thinking of doing another bus to turn a profit.

Yea-no no way would I use the my current conversion. I love it too much. Too much invested.

I know someone on here is doing dog grooming and I've seen a bus converted to a video game bus kinda like a party bus for gamers.

Somewhere in Virginia a guy turned a double decker bus into a restaurant.

I think I would go with some kind of stationary service or good to avoid commercial category. Looking for some good info from those that are doing it.
Stuntmanmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:06 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: Chevy
I make money with mine, kinda. It's my office, my online store, my recording studio, and my band vehicle.
SpoonLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:57 AM   #7
Skoolie

Coachwork: In the market
I don't know about the AirBnB thing but I can imagine there would be a market for tiny home test drives. Let people rent one by the week to live in and see if they can handle it before they commit to buying one and attempting a DIY conversion only to run out of money, steam, etc then try to unload it here only to find out no one wants their half-finished project for what they already have in it. Well worth the week's rental to save the headache.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
there;s a one skoolie member that I know is Air BnB his build and has pretty good success with it from what I understand... not sure where people get the idea Air BnB guests are all greasy nasty people.. really????
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
I ws actually approached on this site by someone asking if I would rent my bus out for their family vacation. I can't imagine what the liability situation on that would be, not to mention what happens if my 28 year old vehicle breaks down?

I have thought about Air B n B, though. There's a guy near my Mom's place who rents out a tent - just a regular, small, dome camping tent! - in his suburban back yard - for $25 a night. No services at all. It's almost always booked.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:10 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
there;s a one skoolie member that I know is Air BnB his build and has pretty good success with it from what I understand... not sure where people get the idea Air BnB guests are all greasy nasty people.. really????

Nah, not greasy and nasty...I was being flippant. I think I just have a much larger need for personal space than other people. LOL
Old 10-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #11

rental potential

RVezy and Outdoorsy seem to be geared towards the lifestyle. I suppose you could build something out and post it on sites like these to generate interest and income.
arpisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:31 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I sold my last place to a gal who owns a handful of VRBO Properties.

It was a 37' travel trailer with three slides. It has a nice cover over the trailer and large deck. It is out in the woods overlooking a large creek.

People will rent that stuff.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks guys!

I live in Portland and they AirBnB tiny homes all over town. There is a tiny village that has 4-5 on a lot and they nightly rentals. They rent for $180-250 a night, minimum 2 nights and I checked out their website and they are booked out into the new year at this point.

I was more curious if anyone has found a way to generate revenue with their skoolie in different fashions. I do not want anyone driving the bus for liability reasons, but I feel like tours would be fun. Like wine or tiny home tours, but I need like the bus layout would depend on its end purpose would be. I want to travel in it, but I also want to make money with it. I am self employed so my schedule is fairly flexible. I have budgeted about $40k to go into the project and would like to get that back so I can build another one and repeat the process!
Old 10-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

The required commercial vehicle, liability business operational insurances, extra maintenance, higher build quality finishes etc etc required

would mean in order to be profitable, you'd need to make it a full-fledged business with employees, multiple vehicles etc
Old 10-27-2019, 04:53 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
The required commercial vehicle, liability business operational insurances, extra maintenance, higher build quality finishes etc etc required

would mean in order to be profitable, you'd need to make it a full-fledged business with employees, multiple vehicles etc

Absolutely!

I have a good construction background and have flipped a few homes, so build quality/finish is not a concern. I should be able to build a pretty nice skoolie with a 40k budget (I hope! lol) I agree with it having to be a full time thing. Which is why I want to be able to make it profitable so I can do more than 1 build. My background is in building and design so that is the aspect I enjoy most.

I have played with the idea of tours (Not sure what it would be) I am in the PNW so wine tours, weed tours, events?
Old 10-27-2019, 04:58 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

I bet "Weed & Wilderness" would sell.

First a good shop or two in the morning, then visit a grow op, finally head for some gorgeous unspoiled vistas over mountain / ocean areas to ooh and ahh.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

And have a bus or two freshly finished ready to go, might sell some of those too while they're feeling so "inspired".

Aim for the top 1% in your marketing, top-notch catering will help add value
Old 10-27-2019, 06:19 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I've got an empty bus I'll rent for only $119 per night. Plus security deposit.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #19
Skoolie

Coachwork: In the market
I think what John61ct meant was the finish is not the only part that will cost money. As soon as you add money to the equation, it becomes a commercial enterprise and not a private RV. That brings along CDL requirements, medical and drug testing as the driver, not to mention a DOT operating authority, inspections, liability insurance, and because its a converted vehicle probably even more scrutiny by law enforcement. These costs will threaten to break a private citizen who just wants to make a buck doing something they like so to make it work financially you'd probably actually have to approach it like a new business venture with a business plan and prospectus and perhaps some investors who believe in your business model and strategy... Or just be fabulously independently wealthy and don't mind spending loads of money on over-regulation.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:06 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
I think what John61ct meant was the finish is not the only part that will cost money. As soon as you add money to the equation, it becomes a commercial enterprise and not a private RV. That brings along CDL requirements, medical and drug testing as the driver, not to mention a DOT operating authority, inspections, liability insurance, and because its a converted vehicle probably even more scrutiny by law enforcement. These costs will threaten to break a private citizen who just wants to make a buck doing something they like so to make it work financially you'd probably actually have to approach it like a new business venture with a business plan and prospectus and perhaps some investors who believe in your business model and strategy... Or just be fabulously independently wealthy and don't mind spending loads of money on over-regulation.

Thank you for this! These were not all factors I was aware of! Which is why I asked. I wonder if I would be able to avoid the CDL regulations if it was a stationary over night rental.