Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC000E View Post
Decided to implement a credit boosting strategy here. May pull a personal loan from the bank to pay for the bus, so we can direct funds for the buildout to that, instead of the purchase price. I'm in the credit union and have boosted my credit score over 120 points in the past 8 months. I'm antsy to get this beast into my possession though.

Strange how adults are...school buses are just a means to get to the daily grind as a child...here as an adult you're like "a big machine!!!"...at least that's me anyway..lol.

Figure we can defer the purchase cost, pay it off quickly with no early penalties, and get a great credit score boost while we're there for minimal cost/interest. Anytime I make a purchase over 500.00 I try to figure out how to spin it toward my credit rating. Though, admittedly, the past few years and past few businesses I owned took their toll.

The bus is a means to reduce my day to day living costs, so I can focus on commercial real estate development more closely. We'll see how it pans out. I never took the path frequently traveled, why start now?
THIS!

I always hada decent credit score as I have a mortgage and always a car lease or two however I always would use a credit card Just to get the travel points.. pay it off even before the bill came out.. just to be "0 credit card debt.. some kind of ego boost I guess".. but my score would never go into the "great criteria.."..

then I started letting my cards bill but pay them off on their due dates... that gained me a large amount of points....

I will take out an installment loan every now and then even though i have way more money in the bank than the loan is just to run it and pay it off...

it has sent my credit score way up just because its a "diverse portfolio"..

people can say its a waste of paying interest on a personal loan.. however for me the ROI is real because I refi'd my house at the absolute Best interest rate available... I get all my car leases at rock bottom rates..

so for me over time paying a little perosnal loan interest has resulted in a lot less interest paid elsewhere ..

a Tall credit score also helps with insurance rates also...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #72
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Decided to implement a credit boosting strategy here. May pull a personal loan from the bank to pay for the bus, so we can direct funds for the buildout to that, instead of the purchase price. I'm in the credit union and have boosted my credit score over 120 points in the past 8 months. I'm antsy to get this beast into my possession though.

Strange how adults are...school buses are just a means to get to the daily grind as a child...here as an adult you're like "a big machine!!!"...at least that's me anyway..lol.

Figure we can defer the purchase cost, pay it off quickly with no early penalties, and get a great credit score boost while we're there for minimal cost/interest. Anytime I make a purchase over 500.00 I try to figure out how to spin it toward my credit rating. Though, admittedly, the past few years and past few businesses I owned took their toll.

The bus is a means to reduce my day to day living costs, so I can focus on commercial real estate development more closely. We'll see how it pans out. I never took the path frequently traveled, why start now?
Kinda sounds like me. I used a credit card, got something like 8% cash back, then paid it in full the first month after to avoid any interest.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #73
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: SafTLiner
Engine: CAT 3126
Yeah, any time you do a money exchange, it's always wise to try and maximize that exchange. I've experimented with cards a bit. Even taking an interest hit by carrying a balance will often have you bulked into a category of clientele that other banks want to do business with. Making them believe you'll be a money maker, via interest and carryover balances often leads to good mail offers on new cards.

It's all a game right...just gotta play it. So, yeah...instead of cash paying, think we are going to approach the bank to get a loan and pay it across four months...get max credit value out of the purchase. We have a good myriad of revolving positives, but we need more of that diversity.

More to skoolie buildin than meets the eye...lol!!!
RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #74

I have 4 of these motors in my fleet and have never had any major issues. Because of the HEUI system, change the oil on a routine basis and have the valves adjusted every-other year. One main issue these engines did have, is the cam shaft sensors would go out. There are two sensors on a single bracket that are mounted in the right side of the engine behind the timing cover and the air compressor. When that bottom sensor goes out, the engine will crank, but not turn over without a shoot of ether. Real simple fix. Aside from this, we love our CATs. They typically see 15-20k miles per season. Also, if you have the MD3060, have the 6tj gear OD unlocked. You'll save 300+ RPM, starting around 49 MPH.
J
jhagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #75
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Doing a Google search on the Cat 3126 came back with a bunch of engines for sale between $2800 and $4500 so worst case if yours blows up...

I was looking for displacement and hp/torque. Which version is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2012/09/understanding-and-profiting-from-the-caterpillar-c7/
The Cat C7 was available with the following horsepower ratings:
210, 230, 250, 275, 300, 330, 350 and 360 hp.
Torque ratings ranged from 520 up to 925 lb-ft. The 201, 230 and 250 hp. ratings were available in either a low torque or high torque option.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #76
Mini-Skoolie

This was a great read and Im glad to hear you went with the 3126. Do you have any conversion pics or progress updates?
maco144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:48 PM   #77
Skoolie

Sorry, I've been away. The bus and I went through a short bout of "wtf"...lol. I stripped the seats, cleared the inside, got rid of all signage and roof hatches, then it wouldn't start. I went down the common path of thinking the typical interrupt issue had gotten me. I checked the hatches, the stop sign, the windows, doors, etc....no go. I put it aside for a while, as I had a lot of other things going on, but recently jumped back to it. I did some wiring diagnostics and ended up a ground wire got pinched by a zip tie and shut down the allison shift panel. So, we are back and running.

At this time, we've gotten into a space of possibly wanting a smaller vehicle with less complexity and cost. I'm not sure we financially can sustain such a project at the moment. It's a damn great bus though...so, so, so clean it's unreal.

I'm in a bit of a limbo state trying to figure what to do with it.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #78
Bus Nut

Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Rated Cap: 50k
Quote:
My old whore here:
That photo shocked me!! I felt like I had seen it before!

I started digging and found this one that I took of my coach - from nearly the same spot - with it sitting in the same parking space!

JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #79
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Sorry, I've been away. The bus and I went through a short bout of "wtf"...lol. I stripped the seats, cleared the inside, got rid of all signage and roof hatches, then it wouldn't start. I went down the common path of thinking the typical interrupt issue had gotten me. I checked the hatches, the stop sign, the windows, doors, etc....no go. I put it aside for a while, as I had a lot of other things going on, but recently jumped back to it. I did some wiring diagnostics and ended up a ground wire got pinched by a zip tie and shut down the allison shift panel. So, we are back and running.

At this time, we've gotten into a space of possibly wanting a smaller vehicle with less complexity and cost. I'm not sure we financially can sustain such a project at the moment. It's a damn great bus though...so, so, so clean it's unreal.

I'm in a bit of a limbo state trying to figure what to do with it.
you may find that trying to find a smaller vehicle results in more expense... I know a couple people looking for vans to convert and the prices get run-up.. Van cutaway busses do seem to still sometimes go for a decent price. but even those seem to command decent coin at auction... smaller seems to be getting more popular (thus more pricey)...

I also dont see the number of busses at auction this year as I did last.. my guess is that schools are holding back as to be afraid of trump ripping the education budgets to shreds... busses that still run dont command a big expense so hang onto them.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #80
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
That photo shocked me!! I felt like I had seen it before!

I started digging and found this one that I took of my coach - from nearly the same spot - with it sitting in the same parking space!

Holy

That's crazy! Hahaha....same parking spot is nuts.