Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2015, 12:33 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
wooden ceiling

I found a ceiling I really like in the album, but when I searched the album holder's name... it sent me to "site team Steve" and with 1878 threads started, I can't find if there was a build thread
the album is for MikesBird http://www.skoolie.net/forums/members/2-albums98.html
any of the long time members remember anything about this? I'd like to review a build thread to learn about materials used.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:00 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Great looking bus it is.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:03 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I remember the pictures, don't remember the name. Seems like he was in the south east somewhere. I like the look, as I remember there wasn't much but those pictures.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Are you wanting information on the specific type of wood he used or just the procedure for installing tongue n' groove on a ceiling? If it's the latter then there is a thread on this site called "The WolF Bus". http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...bus-10777.html

They installed something similar on their bus. Hope that helps.
FlyboyHPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:41 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Ward
Engine: Ford 391 V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
Are you wanting information on the specific type of wood he used or just the procedure for installing tongue n' groove on a ceiling? If it's the latter then there is a thread on this site called "The WolF Bus". http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...bus-10777.html

They installed something similar on their bus. Hope that helps.
Home Depot sells them, it cost us about 300 to do it. It's just pine panels, we used blue stain pine
maggiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:57 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
awesome! love the look of the wood ceilings, my preference being the darker stain with the black striping, almost mahogany colored. Almost looks lacquered

The blue pine looks cool too!

pretty much just wondering how it's attached to the ribs.... when T&G is attached to subfloor, I know there's a air powered T&G nail hammer or a mechanical nail hammer.... but, we're talking metal ribs here... Glue & Screw??? Clips???

is expansion/contraction an issue?
Old 06-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
Almost There

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Ward
Engine: Ford 391 V8
We screwed them on using 1-2 two inch wood to metal screws per board. The problem we ran into was, although we carefully selected all of our wood, some were still slightly warped. We started in the center of the ceiling, because I wanted a straight line down the center. However, when we reached the sides, over the window, there was a significant slant. We will cover this imperfection with trim, but if I were to do it over again I would start at one side and work my way up and over. You will need two people to hold the wood in order to keep it straight, and I would recommend keeping the screws loose until you have installed all of the panels... This is because the curve of the ceiling makes it hard to insert the tongue to the groove when the panel is tightly in. We also put a layer of insullation tape on the ribs so that when the bus is moving, the wood and metal won't rub and make noise- I definitely recommend this!
There have been no issues with expansion and contraction thus far, but we need to seal it soon to keep the blue stain fungi from spreading.

I love that dark stain too, it looks really classy! We are just going to have a dark floor, so we wanted a light ceiling.
Have you removed all of your ceiling panels yet?
maggiemae is offline   Reply With Quote