Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Would you help a stranded motorist?

Yes I would, and have done many times. Good Karma.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

I have done it in the past, many times. It depends on a lot of things. Mostly what the situation looks like. If I see them talking on the phone and we are somewhere near civilization I don't usually stop. If there are kids involved, probably. With mumsywumsy along, I'm not sure anymore, maybe if she covers me with a gun.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

I would have to go with my gut feeling, if I see smoke, or a flat tire, something the shows theres a break down, if something looked a bit out of place I wouldnt stop, If I did stop I may not get out but offer to call for help, Its a hard choice nowadays with all the wackos out there. If it was a skoolie would I stop? Im sure I would be there to help, thats where it would be nice to have a little skoolie.net sticker on the back of our buses to help show each other we are 1 of the good guys
gbstewart
Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
I have done it in the past, many times. It depends on a lot of things. Mostly what the situation looks like. If I see them talking on the phone and we are somewhere near civilization I don't usually stop. If there are kids involved, probably. With mumsywumsy along, I'm not sure anymore, maybe if she covers me with a gun.
Same here but.......

Well?????? I used to stop,

But after some recent events here lately in Tennessee I don't think I'll be stopping any more.....
This young man, in his twenties stopped because he saw a vehicle on the side of the interstate,
on an exit ramp to offer assistance like any (most) people in this neck of the woods would do...
Turned out they (the guys in the broken down vehicle) where waiting for someone to stop and help.
They beat him up, robbed him, and left him there at the side of the road... Took his wallet, and cell phone.
When he came to he tried to drive home or to a hospital (no one really knows) but when he was found
he had made it to his exit (105, I-24) here in Manchester but had ran off the road.
They found him dead sitting in his car.
What really happen we still do not know but the story is as told.
According to the newspaper the police figure it was some people traveling thru and just pulled over to wait on their next victim.
So be careful out there, you never know what you can run into...
Old 02-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

I am not sure if this is ment to be on the bus level or not but having been on both sides of the fence with being broke down and needing help and helping others.

As said here I try to as much as I can. Not saying I can every time but I do when I can. I try to pay things forward and give more than I take. I think if everyone in the world did that same very thing (give more than they take) it would be a much better place.

When I help people with troubles on the side of the road I always tell them....I am trying to do this so that when and if my wife and kids were ever in that same place someone would safely help them.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Probably not given the way things are nowadays. BUT we would call the police to let them know about the motorist. I have been broke down on the side of the road. Both times in Chattanooga. They have (or had) a truck that did nothing but run up and down the interstates. Their job was to help motorists. They were capable of working on the big highway coach engines too. Nice guy. He got a nice tip from us.

As for the "stranded motorist" at a rest stop, gas station, restaurant, etc. Nope. Had too many of them ask me for money that were dressed better than me, drove a better car than me, wore lots of expensive jewelry (I don't even wear my wedding ring anymore) and was attached to an expensive cell phone.

BTW, I am also very careful about accepting any help from strangers too. There's a reason the are called "stranger".

Coachnet is only$139.50/yr for their Platinum Plus Plan and $119.50/yr for their Gold Plan. That's not much for what you get.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #7

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

When I bought my bus in TN, I drove back across I40. While driving thru NM, I passed a pickup on the side of the freeway. About a mile later I saw two women walking on the freeway. I had just passed them and while looking ahead I could see it was miles before the next exit. I stopped and backed up. I asked them if that was their pickup which it was. I offered them a ride to the next exit. They accepted. It was at least 4 miles to the exit and hot as hell outside. I felt bad for them. They had walked a mile and no one stopped to offer them assistance. Anyways, I dropped them off at a gas station.

Normally I don't stop because of all the possible scenarios that you hear about on the news but I always call the highway patrol if I see someone stranded. Too many shitty people out there. I know Grey Eagle was wondering what kind of nut bag he was picking up from the airport when I went to pick up my bus.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Makes you kind wonder about the nice friendly RVers who picked up the couple who ended up killing them and setting the RV on fire last summer wasn't it? Sorry, I still will call someone on the cell phone. PC or not, I'm not risking my life picking up some nut case. As far as I'm concerned there are some things that are worse than death. And I no longer accept rides from strangers either. Learned that one in an incident that will live with me forever.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I carry enough tools in the trunk of my car to do a headgasket on most cars in any given case and have the knowledge on how to do so. That said, a waterpump on a 3.1 GM is the farthest I've actually gone on the side of the highway (a 15 minute job), but I make a habit of always stopping to help those I can. Often times I'm turned down (apparently people are scared of good Samaritans.). That said, I am also generally well armed and not\ the kind of person that gets caught off guard or in compromising situations.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Never help, never stop, do not get involved in any way, shape, or form under any circumstances. Just keep going. Not worth the risk.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Wayne Chaperone
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

One day while driving for the delivery service that I worked for in Memphis, TN, I saw an elderly man beside an old pickup truck on the entrance ramp to the interstate. I pulled over and explained that due to my job I could not offer him a ride but I could call for help, he looked at me kinda bewildered and said "thanks, but I am just picking up cans on the side of the road." We both had a good laugh and I went on my way and he went on his.
schoolmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Every time I've attempted to help someone I've regretted it. If I'm traveling alone I won't stop, if I've got Sis or my Parents in the car I'll have them contact someone to let them know they're out there.

Like Mum said a while back, we liked having the bright green Response vehicles trucking down the highway back in TN. I haven't seen anything like that at all here in New Mexico, or any other state come to think of it. Mayhaps I'm not paying enough attention to notice, though. I don't tend to drive much save for in town. I'll keep an eye out while I'm out on Thursday and Friday, though (I got a pick-up job on Thursday and Sis is coming in from Houston Friday).

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Gee, 'Tace... does that mean you wouldn't give the guy at the EastRidge Exit (I-75 Exit 1) a lift? I'm talking about the guy with the invisible dog!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
Bus Nut

No. No no no no no NO. Nu-uh, no way, nope, newp, nein, nyet, non, chigau, nej, N-O Spells It, NO.

Along with that feller that keeps holding up the sign that says "Going to Albuquerque for Doctor's Appointment" because I know he ain't.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote