Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
Re: WTF is going on?

Quote:
My city posts a school resource officer full time at each H.S.
But, are they armed? Or, just trained to spot the "nut" ,then make a call?

I really don't think that someone who uses a gun to commit a crime, or a nut, is worried about
whether it's illegal to have a gun.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We have plenty of gun laws. Passing more laws won't stop this kind of thing. If they don't use guns, they will simply make bombs. Instructions are all over the internet nowadays and Even I know how to make a bomb using fertilizer and diesel. I even know how to make a simple timer detonator. Thanks to murder mystery books. The guns used in the shooting were legal guns. They belonged to the shooters mother... the one he shot first. Until the motive is known for the shooting, crying out for more "safeguards" is a waste of time. Short of turning all schools into prisons with fences & armed guards, this will continue to happen. And even with a prison for a school, I'm not so sure that will stop it. Killers will simply find a way past that. From what I have read (not that you can trust any of it yet) the story is the mother didn't work at the school at all. The shooter had no ties to the school nor the people who worked there. At this point (7AM MST), it is assumed that there is no apparent motive. No real facts to go on yet, just guesses. Seems the shooter also did not have a history of mental instability or a criminal record. Two things that would have prevented him for buying a gun. But they weren't his guns to start with.

As for locking up the guns... I've watched the "storage wars" type reality shows and they bust open those little safes with a sledge hammer. Not too secure if a person is determined. So is a "gun safe" really as secure as we think it is? Personally I adhere to the old saying... "I don't trust a government who doesn't trust me to own a gun". And I certainly wouldn't tell the government that I actually own a gun by registering it. But I'm also from the South where having an unlicensed gun is pretty common. We have bought & sold many guns in parking lot with no licensing involved. BTW. I don't like hand guns. They are for one thing only... killing a 2 legged animal. On the other hand... I really did like David's little 3 shot 410. But he sold it to our former next door neighbour. Apparently 3 shot 410s are unique. I wouldn't mind David picking back up another 410. It was easy to shoot, didn't kick and leave a bruise on me, plus it used both shot & bullets. Neat. I think shot is best for "self-protection".
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
Site Team

Lorna we used to squirel hunt with 22 pistols ("short ammo") all the time,more sporting for getting dinner.
And as always if someone wants to kill something they will use what they have access to,be it a rock,bow,pointy stick water ...etc....
The mindset for "wanting to kill something" is different than "human survial if "hunted""...so until the "race" can identify and contain those that "someone" deems "unfit"....we as a human race will always be at their mercy....or thought at the time
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Somewhereinusa, Each of our School Resources Officers are fully trained sworn police officers who are armed at all times and are in direct contact with SWAT and each other. Each school has a "Resource" office housing the appropriate equipment that might be needed by a SRO and each SRO has a take home car that is also properly outfitted. The only concession to the "we don't want cops on our campus" crowd is that the SRO's wear kaki pants and black polo shirts with their badge on the belt rather than the LAPD Blues worn by the rank and file. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
Site Team

The thought of cops at school is alien to me. All the way through high school, we didn't have any. This whole thing sucks and really has me bummed out. I feel really bad for the families that lost loved ones.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
We have plenty of gun laws. Passing more laws won't stop this kind of thing. If they don't use guns, they will simply make bombs. Instructions are all over the internet nowadays and Even I know how to make a bomb using fertilizer and diesel. I even know how to make a simple timer detonator...
In my previous post here I was going to mention alternative methods that the killer might have used, but my mind refused to go there. Besides, who among us would really have wanted to read it?

That woman in Arizona who was mad at her husband because he didn't vote in the presidential election certainly didn't need a gun - she just used her motor vehicle.
Quote:
And even with a prison for a school, I'm not so sure that will stop it. Killers will simply find a way past that...
Considering how dangerous prisons are, I couldn't agree more. The psychological environment of a prison-like school might only serve to destabilize even more people therein. Or so my imperfect knowledge of psychology suggests.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I was a sophomore in HS during the Columbine shooting. The day after that shooting, we had a city police officer on campus with his marked police car parked right at the front gate. 13 years later and the city still has an officer at the high school everyday. Besides the cost factor, I do not see a drawback to having armed personnel on campus.

But at the end of the day, nothing is going to stop humans from killing each other. We've had a real problem with it since the beginning of time.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by syke
...But at the end of the day, nothing is going to stop humans from killing each other. We've had a real problem with it since the beginning of time.
Agreed
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #19
Bus Nut

I agree with lots of what has been posted on here but few things I would like to bring up for food for thought.....

What did the airlines do after 911 for people who fly planes? They armed airline pilots. Doesnt it make sense to level the playing field with people instead of them being victims and cant defend themselves?

Those who brought up that we dont need any more gun control are 100% correct. The processes are as good as they can be with out infrenging on peoples personal rights. There is no way to pick out the psychos just by looks.

Being a father of a 5 and 7 year old kids this hits me to the core.

I saw this posting on Facebook and it real eye opener to me. I am a licensed conceal hand gun holder. I really wish Texas would go open carry. I personally think if ALL states did the same this BS would not be happening.

Pics of my conversion @ photobucket http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../School%20Bus/
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #20
Site Team

I guess they will need to take away the knives too.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1220230

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote