School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (
-   Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters (
-   -   Registration: Motorhome vs. Private bus (

brentag 05-05-2006 08:19 PM

Registration: Motorhome vs. Private bus
Great information on the "Typical RV License Requirements" thread, but I'm left wondering why does everyone seem to want their bus registered as an RV?

I'm about to set out creating a tailgating bus and the best reasons I can come up with for a private bus are:

--To have more than 15 capacity (I live in Texas)
--For if I ever charge for going to events

Can anyone comment on the pro/cons of RV vs. Private bus? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all for a great site (with a nice new look, BTW)

eggman 05-07-2006 08:48 PM

For Illinois, the rv plates are about $95 IIRC, and the plain ole bus plates are about $1000. So, to answer your question, I would say there are about 900 reasons to register it as an rv versus a bus.


lapeer20m 05-07-2006 10:15 PM

in michigan, it's cheaper to register as a non-commercial bus than it is an RV. I think Phillbus pays about double what i pay.

There could arise a police officer who tries to give you a hard time because your registration does not say Motorhome, but if you don't have commercial plates, or commercial insurance, and you're not using your vehicle in exchange for money, then you don't need a CDL.

I've been driving for a few years at least in a non-commercial bus, including several trips across the border, and i've only had one time that an officer questioned me about the fact that i don't have a CDL. I was able to explain to him that it is not a commercial vehicle and he had no problem with it.

bhuenink 11-02-2006 02:26 PM

Registration: Motorhome vs Bus
In Nebraska, it is cheaper to register it a s a Non-Commercial Bus than it is to register it as a RV.

sportyrick 04-25-2007 10:21 AM

In Missouri if the seats are left in it's considered a passenger vehicle by the state and a commercial vehicle by the insurance industry, CDL is required and insurance kills you. If the seats are taken out then the state calls it a "truck" since you can't do much with a bus with no seats except haul "stuff". The insurance industry also considers it a truck and will insure it accordingly. Truck tags for a bus/truck would be rated for 24,000 or 30,000 GVW and run from $125 up. RV tags are the same as a car, around $35 a year, no weight restrictions, insurance is the same as any other RV, mine runs about $25 a month, no CDL, anyone can drive it and you can avoid most all toll stations. I did have to re-title it as an RV after completion but for the rewards it is well worth it. sportyrick

Steve 04-25-2007 11:03 AM

Re: RV

Originally Posted by sportyrick
and you can avoid most all toll stations.

What do you mean by that? Motorhomes don't have to pay at toll stations?

the_experience03 04-25-2007 01:58 PM

I *believe* plates would cost the same either way in Minnesota. Once you break the threshold you pay on weight no mattre what the vehicle type. A flatbed with an 18,000 GVWR, a bus with an 18,000 GVWR, and an RV with an 18,000 GVWR all pay the same I believe. I know the trucks and RV's do for sure.

So what's the difference? Insurance and your driver's license.

A private bus would require a DOT inspection along with a Class B CDL with air brake endorsement and passenger endorsement. It's not hard, but it adds up a lot of expense. Couple with that the gross insurance and the need to keep up a log book and it becomes pretty clear why you would want an RV with 15 people including driver and the rest in a minivan behind you.

sportyrick 04-30-2007 09:25 AM

toll stations,
toll stations, what do you call them??? I am having a brain fart. Weight stations, you don't have to stop or pay fees at a weight station. At least I never have, have you? Some of them say all trucks and buses have to stop. Do they ever say RV's? sportyrick

Steve 04-30-2007 09:31 AM

You said toll station so I thought you meant the toll stations on toll roads. Maybe you don't have any near you but Illinois and Oklahoma have a lot toll roads that you have to pay to use.

sportyrick 04-30-2007 09:50 AM

toll station
We have the turnpike from KC to Wichita and the one you were probably thinking of, the Will Rogers turnpike down in the OK. Thank the Lord we don't have any more in MO. sportyrick

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.