School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Skoolie Conversion Projects (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/)
-   -   And so the "Redneck Express" is born...... (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/and-so-the-redneck-express-is-born-1192.html)

eggman 05-12-2006 10:47 AM

And so the "Redneck Express" is born......
 
As of yesterday, I started gutting the bus. Removed almost all of the seats from inside. Dismantled most of the ones I have removed. Started looking at the floor and how to set up the walls. Only have four seats left inside, for a passenger or two, but I think they will come on out and then rip up the rubber floor in spots to check for rotten wood and moldy surfaces. Current plans are to keep the conversion simple for later renovations when I figure out what I really want. Was looking at raising the roof a bit, but still undecided about that. Probably will make that decision after using the bus for a year. Once the seats are gone, then I will be painting the outside to satisfy the dmv for the driving test for a class B license. Hopefully have the painting done by Sunday evening, weather permitting.

the_experience03 05-12-2006 07:40 PM

Just out of curiousity....why are you getting your CDL? Unless you're going to use it commercially or your state requires an air brake endorsement, I don't see any reason to spend that money. I'm not saying that the manuals and such shouldn't be required reading...I just know the tests aren't particularly cheap here in Minnesota.

hoser 05-12-2006 08:23 PM

Re: And so the "Redneck Express" is born......
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eggman
As of yesterday, I started gutting the bus. Removed almost all of the seats from inside. Dismantled most of the ones I have removed. Started looking at the floor and how to set up the walls. Only have four seats left inside, for a passenger or two, but I think they will come on out and then rip up the rubber floor in spots to check for rotten wood and moldy surfaces. Current plans are to keep the conversion simple for later renovations when I figure out what I really want. Was looking at raising the roof a bit, but still undecided about that. Probably will make that decision after using the bus for a year. Once the seats are gone, then I will be painting the outside to satisfy the dmv for the driving test for a class B license. Hopefully have the painting done by Sunday evening, weather permitting.


I am from your area I went to the currency exchange in Ottawa Il. and registered mine as a RV so the title and tag came back as a RV....

I am in the middle of the conversion to an RV so if I ever get stopped I am good to go, been to cold and wet here the past 2 days to work on mine :-(

eggman 05-13-2006 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_experience03
Just out of curiousity....why are you getting your CDL? Unless you're going to use it commercially or your state requires an air brake endorsement, I don't see any reason to spend that money. I'm not saying that the manuals and such shouldn't be required reading...I just know the tests aren't particularly cheap here in Minnesota.

Its a class b-non cdl license, required by Illinois for vehicles over 26,000 pounds gvwr and pulling a trailer less than 10,000 pounds.. However, no airbrake endorsement is required since it is for private use only. And the driver's test is to make sure you wont run over curbs or other vehicles once you start driving it.

Hoser, I feel your pain, its been miserable here too. Cold and rainy. Should be able to paint it this weekend, barring wet weather. Seems like all the paint I want to use has a 3-8 hour dry time. I dont think that will work this weekend. I need to find some faster drying paint that is cheap. Should be able to get the rest of the seats out and lay out the floor plan to see how it will work. A friend of mine's little boy was holding the wrench on the top side as I took of the nuts from down below. Did a pretty good job, considering he is only 6.

How far along are you on your conversion?

the_experience03 05-13-2006 08:05 PM

Are you registering the bus at the full GVWR on the manufacturer's placard? :shock: A buddy of mine registered his 59 pass. 370-powered Wayne with "y-plates" (gvwr plates) as 15,000 lbs....and that gave him LOTS of room for the additional weight of passengers, etc. Mine is a diesel and slightly longer, but I still don't forsee having to register it as 26,000 lbs, let alone more than that.

hoser 05-13-2006 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_experience03
Are you registering the bus at the full GVWR on the manufacturer's placard? :shock: A buddy of mine registered his 59 pass. 370-powered Wayne with "y-plates" (gvwr plates) as 15,000 lbs....and that gave him LOTS of room for the additional weight of passengers, etc. Mine is a diesel and slightly longer, but I still don't forsee having to register it as 26,000 lbs, let alone more than that.

I registered mine for 10,500 GVW + dunno how high it goes up but it covers any RV over 10,500 lbs they only have two classes below 10500 and over

eggman 05-14-2006 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_experience03
Are you registering the bus at the full GVWR on the manufacturer's placard? :shock: A buddy of mine registered his 59 pass. 370-powered Wayne with "y-plates" (gvwr plates) as 15,000 lbs....and that gave him LOTS of room for the additional weight of passengers, etc. Mine is a diesel and slightly longer, but I still don't forsee having to register it as 26,000 lbs, let alone more than that.

Yes, according to the dmv, if it is what is on the title, thats what you have to register it as. So, I got stuck with the 30k gvwr.

Yesterday got the top and the right side primed, will be working on removing stickers and painting the front and the left side today.

the_experience03 05-15-2006 03:38 PM

We have a rather lax DMV office up here. I just have to sign an affidavit saying that it's converted and what it weighs, no inspection required.....

Of course I will run across the scales to get an idea what it weighs. It's not that I'm worried I'll ever be nailed for being over weight as they don't require RV's to weigh in, but I'm an honest citizen. Each window is 3000 lbs so there is some leeway, but each jump in weight class comes at a price.

Listening to all these horror stories makes me happy I live where I do :shock:

BTW....my class D is fine for the bus since it's an RV, even with air brakes. My only limit is that I can't tow a trailer over 10,000 lbs with it.

Eric von Kleist 05-16-2006 12:21 PM

The GVWR on my '85 60 passenger (40 adult) Thomas is listed as 24,500# on the plate by the driver's seat, but on the application for the title conversion, I put 17,000#, and that's what came back on the title.

I just guessed on the weight! :lol:

eggman 07-27-2006 01:59 AM

As of tonight:
1. All of the seats have been removed
2. There are 4 seats (that have not been dismantled) for later dual dinettes
3. The plywood and rubber floor has been removed all the way to the front wheels.
4. Most of the stickers have all been removed

Current plan is to remove the rest of the floor up to the firewall, replace and add insulation to the entire floor and engine cover, then cover with new plywood on floor after the window openings are covered, then paint the black dash sheetmetal with a lighter color.

Pictures posted in the Albums section.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.