School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/)
-   -   front or rear engine? (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/front-or-rear-engine-12835.html)

jasong71 01-15-2016 05:56 AM

front or rear engine?

Hi, so on a flat nose bus, is it better to get a front engine or a rear engine and why? I know front engines will be louder, what are the other benefits or negative over each engine placement? Thanks!

Tango 01-15-2016 08:45 AM

Lots of discussion here on that consideration with lots of different opinions. Mostly comes down to how you want to use your bus and what kind of floorplan will work best for you.

A rear engine bus will always have more underbelly storage capacity but engine repair access can be a bit more complicated on some models. Then there are some folks who just don't like sitting in front with only a dashboard between them and oncoming traffic.

Best bet is to read up as much as possible and develop your own criteria.

EastCoastCB 01-15-2016 09:01 AM

If you want a rear door, the FE is superior.
Lots of discussion on here about FE vs RE.

PigPen 02-04-2016 11:59 PM

I understand the pros and cons pretty well at this point, but if any one has some threads in mind that have particularly good discussion on this that would be awesome. searching front engine or rear engine gets mostly unrelated threads it seems!

superdave 02-05-2016 07:48 AM

i m o after driving a re, i wouldnt own anything else. smooth quiet ride like no other.yes i have a whale tail to deal with and less ground clearance.

polar bear 03-13-2016 10:17 AM

The front engine is like almost all medium duty truck drivelines and easiest to get a mechanic to help with. Front radiators are good. I also needed a clear entry rear so I could add a liftgate to load/unload motorcycles. Liftgate platform a nice patio too...

Robin97396 03-13-2016 02:40 PM

That's what I'm talking about. A liftgate on the back of the bus.
I kept my wheel chair lift because I've been lifting trail or dualsport bikes in and out for years. My liftgate still sits uninstalled and I'm sure that would be much more necessary if I didn't have the wheel chair lift.

Has anyone here made a larger door on the rear of the bus? Quads just don't fit through the door.

Alan N 03-13-2016 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasong71 (Post 133291)
Hi, so on a flat nose bus, is it better to get a front engine or a rear engine and why? I know front engines will be louder, what are the other benefits or negative over each engine placement? Thanks!

Drive both styles yourself. Then you decide.
Personally I like the engine in the back.
Quiet.
Easy engine access for routine maintenance.

Robin97396 03-13-2016 07:09 PM

I chose to prefer the FE buses so I could use the back of the bus for cargo such as motorcycles or whatever you need to carry. It's true that you don't hear the diesel engine much once it's warmed up and you're on the road. Sleeping near the engine shouldn't be a problem in either bus. I'm able to talk at normal voice levels while sitting beside the doghouse going down the highway, and the back of my bus can be a truck or a back porch or whatever is needed. I view RE buses as limiting other than for use as an apartments, but they can still pull a trailer if they need to haul anything.

Skoolydoo 03-13-2016 08:36 PM

My vote is for FE, I guess cause the years I spent as a driver, I don't really hear any noise.