School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   New Member Intros - Say Hello! (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/)
-   -   Yoo Hoo! Newbie Alert! ;-) (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/yoo-hoo-newbie-alert-13422.html)

melanie 03-23-2016 09:52 PM

Yoo Hoo! Newbie Alert! ;-)

So Yep I just found ourselves a 95 school bus with a diesel international engine that has 33000 miles on it! 2500$ ! Just picked it up from the shop everything checks out great! guys said i can easily see that engine to 400K miles! (is that true?) wow my boys and i are stoked! we will be using it as is and converting the interior as time and money allow but for now we are already planning a trip to the black hills this weekend!! fun fun fun!! loading up the whole fandamily and taking her on her maiden voyage (with us anyways ;-)) it was already painted black so no need to worry about that! I have an electrician friend who said he would help me with what i need for adding the auxiliary power on its own batteries free of anything in the engine or already connected. I have been searching like crazy interior ideas. have decided a basic layout and because of reading here(Thank YOu!) have discovered you can screw right into the metal!! dang! The thing I cannot figure out is how in the world do some of those buildouts get the wood to bend around the curve in the side of the roof? everytime i search i only come up with boat making sites. well I cant surely clamp anything whilst the glue dries so how does that work?
Also on a side note is there any places i should steer clear of when family camping or any sites more off the beaten path that are more preferred in the midwest region? and do you recommend getting like a CB Radio? do those work when cell phones do not? ahhh the fun of the planning :-)
Any and alll advice or constructive criticism is welcome!
Have a super Easter weekend!!

M1031A1 03-24-2016 04:03 AM

Melanie,

I'm installing H.A.M. radio gear in my bus. I prefer to be able to talk all around the world, personally. It's just incase something happens I can get ahold of someone for help. Plus being a paramedic doesn't hurt either....... CB radios are good for a couple of miles on a good day unless you can ride atmospheric skip every now and then. Not the most reliable form of communication, unlike being a hammy....

As far as the wood curving - 1/8 inch plywood does wonders. Keep reading the threads for more ideas and inspirations.

Just my two cents.

M1031

EastCoastCB 03-24-2016 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melanie (Post 140315)
So Yep I just found ourselves a 95 school bus with a diesel international engine that has 33000 miles on it! 2500$ ! Just picked it up from the shop everything checks out great! guys said i can easily see that engine to 400K miles! (is that true?) wow my boys and i are stoked! we will be using it as is and converting the interior as time and money allow but for now we are already planning a trip to the black hills this weekend!! fun fun fun!! loading up the whole fandamily and taking her on her maiden voyage (with us anyways ;-)) it was already painted black so no need to worry about that! I have an electrician friend who said he would help me with what i need for adding the auxiliary power on its own batteries free of anything in the engine or already connected. I have been searching like crazy interior ideas. have decided a basic layout and because of reading here(Thank YOu!) have discovered you can screw right into the metal!! dang! The thing I cannot figure out is how in the world do some of those buildouts get the wood to bend around the curve in the side of the roof? everytime i search i only come up with boat making sites. well I cant surely clamp anything whilst the glue dries so how does that work?
Also on a side note is there any places i should steer clear of when family camping or any sites more off the beaten path that are more preferred in the midwest region? and do you recommend getting like a CB Radio? do those work when cell phones do not? ahhh the fun of the planning :-)
Any and alll advice or constructive criticism is welcome!
Have a super Easter weekend!!

Welcome, yall.
As much fun as I've had on CB's in my lifetime, I wouldn't say you need one at all. They're more or less relics anymore. Kind of a waste of space and redundant.

FlyboyHPD 03-24-2016 07:01 AM

Welcome to the Skoolie site Melanie. Sounds like you got a great bus there. You're in the right place to ask questions.

M1031 is correct, 1/8 inch plywood, sometimes referred to as "luan" plywood is thin enough to go around the curves in the ceiling. Good luck with your build.

EastCoastCB 03-24-2016 07:52 AM

This guy covers converting a bus better than any other Youtubers. Theres at least one or two episodes detailing the ceiling and all that. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqbp_DrJhPI

somewhereinusa 03-24-2016 08:54 AM

I've been retired from truck driving for a few years now, but even before that I quit using a CB. If you enjoy filthy language, whiners and listening to languages other than English, by all means get a CB, otherwise use a cell phone for your communication. Or probably shortwave, but I have no knowledge of that.

EastCoastCB 03-24-2016 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhereinusa (Post 140349)
I've been retired from truck driving for a few years now, but even before that I quit using a CB. If you enjoy filthy language, whiners and listening to languages other than English, by all means get a CB, otherwise use a cell phone for your communication. Or probably shortwave, but I have no knowledge of that.

They've been obsolete for at least a decade or so. I used to really love going on the ol' CB.:nonono:

REDD 03-24-2016 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhereinusa (Post 140349)

IF...you already have one and it's not going to be in the way [maybe a cigarette lighter power source with a magnetic antenna] ...it MIGHT get you out of a jam if you had no cell service. I wouldn't buy one, as stated above. We have a lot of drivers that still use them, but they travel the great white north at odd ball hours of the day/night/morning...road closures sorta thing.

TheRainbowBoxer 03-24-2016 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1031A1 (Post 140325)
Melanie,

I'm installing H.A.M. radio gear in my bus. I prefer to be able to talk all around the world, personally. It's just incase something happens I can get ahold of someone for help. Plus being a paramedic doesn't hurt either....... CB radios are good for a couple of miles on a good day unless you can ride atmospheric skip every now and then. Not the most reliable form of communication, unlike being a hammy....

As far as the wood curving - 1/8 inch plywood does wonders. Keep reading the threads for more ideas and inspirations.

Just my two cents.

M1031

Nice to see another HAM! N8KOQ here... I'm pretty inactive radio-wise, but I like participating in field day every year with my Dad (WM8I) who is on the radio pretty much all the time.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Alan N 03-24-2016 09:39 PM

A cb radio can be useful if you are not, near the interstate or near a city.
Welcome and happy camping.