School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   New Member Intros - Say Hello! (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/)
-   -   No Clue What I'm Doing Here - Anyone from Tampa? (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/no-clue-what-im-doing-here-anyone-from-tampa-14030.html)

YMIHere 05-31-2016 03:27 PM

No Clue What I'm Doing Here - Anyone from Tampa?
 
Hello,

I found this website during a search of school bus conversions. I would LOVE to do this, but I'm a single female who is probably woefully inept at mechanical stuff, especially left to my own devices. If there was someone else doing it and you tell me what to do, I'm in, but looking at diagrams in a book - not so much.

What was surprising to me having looked around here is that the actual buses can be bought fairly cheap at auction. That makes for a decent starting point, but there is so much more to know.

I wonder if there is anyone working on one in the Tampa Bay Area that could use some extra help so that I could have a clue as to what I might be in for.

While I see that living in an RV is becoming much more popular, it's still pretty out of the ordinary and I'm a very out of the ordinary kind of person. I'd like the freedom of living wherever I decide to park.

I'll get back to perusing around, but for now, I think this is a pipe dream for me.

bansil 05-31-2016 04:37 PM

Welcome and lots of single females have made this journey...if you have the heart...you have the way :welcome::welcome:

EastCoastCB 05-31-2016 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YMIHere (Post 150777)
Hello,

I found this website during a search of school bus conversions. I would LOVE to do this, but I'm a single female who is probably woefully inept at mechanical stuff, especially left to my own devices. If there was someone else doing it and you tell me what to do, I'm in, but looking at diagrams in a book - not so much.

What was surprising to me having looked around here is that the actual buses can be bought fairly cheap at auction. That makes for a decent starting point, but there is so much more to know.

I wonder if there is anyone working on one in the Tampa Bay Area that could use some extra help so that I could have a clue as to what I might be in for.

While I see that living in an RV is becoming much more popular, it's still pretty out of the ordinary and I'm a very out of the ordinary kind of person. I'd like the freedom of living wherever I decide to park.

I'll get back to perusing around, but for now, I think this is a pipe dream for me.

Auctions are definitely the way to go.
You can work on my bus for free anytime you'd like. We are in Apopka.

Roadrunner 05-31-2016 05:07 PM

Hi YMIHere. It is nice having you here. You certainly found the right place. There are so many pics/videos here to help you learn. There are also so many people here that will help you on your journey. I would suggest that you read all you can and look at as many albums/build threads as you can. Ask many questions. You will get many answers. You really can learn how to do it all here. The combined experience of the people here is just amazing. The best part is that you can do it the way you want to. Just be prepared to do a LOT of work and spend a lot of money. It will not happen quickly. Most of us spend years and actually the job is never really done. You can get it livable/road worthy and then keep working at it. It would also be nice if you had some help. I am doing mine by myself so it takes pretty long to get things done. I don't want to discourage you in any way. I think that this is one of the best things anyone could ever do. Lots of work/money but the rewards will be even greater. Start looking at auctions like Govdeals, public surplus, ebay, craigslist etc. Research different types of buses and decide what is right for you. Then buy one. What a feeling when you get your bus. Look up HealthyPetsBus. Virginia is a single female who is doing three buses at once. We would be more than happy to help you every step of the way so don't worry. Go for it and let the fun begin.

YMIHere 06-03-2016 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 150791)
Auctions are definitely the way to go.
You can work on my bus for free anytime you'd like. We are in Apopka.

UGH! I just checked - that's 2 1/2 hours away. :( Too bad you're not in St. Pete or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadrunner (Post 150795)
Hi YMIHere. It is nice having you here. You certainly found the right place. There are so many pics/videos here to help you learn. There are also so many people here that will help you on your journey. I would suggest that you read all you can and look at as many albums/build threads as you can. Ask many questions. You will get many answers. You really can learn how to do it all here. The combined experience of the people here is just amazing. The best part is that you can do it the way you want to. Just be prepared to do a LOT of work and spend a lot of money. It will not happen quickly. Most of us spend years and actually the job is never really done. You can get it livable/road worthy and then keep working at it. It would also be nice if you had some help. I am doing mine by myself so it takes pretty long to get things done. I don't want to discourage you in any way. I think that this is one of the best things anyone could ever do. Lots of work/money but the rewards will be even greater. Start looking at auctions like Govdeals, public surplus, ebay, craigslist etc. Research different types of buses and decide what is right for you. Then buy one. What a feeling when you get your bus. Look up HealthyPetsBus. Virginia is a single female who is doing three buses at once. We would be more than happy to help you every step of the way so don't worry. Go for it and let the fun begin.

People always say I don't give myself enough credit (which is true since I just got A's on both my classes last semester and I was upset because I just KNOW I could have done better). I just cannot see me pulling a project like this together on my own. Putting in a toilet? Wiring electrical. My brain explodes just THINKING about it!

I have the most miserable times with diagrams. Some things will click and some I can't find my way around. I haven't looked at too many threads yet. If people are posting YouTube vids about how they do things, that might help me.

The-Breeze 06-03-2016 03:08 PM

Too bad you didn't live here in Georgia. My hubby just died a little over a month ago & I don't have a clue either. Plus, like you, I can't just read and do it. I need someone to be there & tell me how to do it as I do it. Even watching someone doesn't seem to help, it all seems so easy till I have to do it alone.

If you were here...we could take turns reading the instructions & doing the job and learn together.

YMIHere 06-03-2016 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The-Breeze (Post 151170)
Too bad you didn't live here in Georgia. My hubby just died a little over a month ago & I don't have a clue either. Plus, like you, I can't just read and do it. I need someone to be there & tell me how to do it as I do it. Even watching someone doesn't seem to help, it all seems so easy till I have to do it alone.

If you were here...we could take turns reading the instructions & doing the job and learn together.

SO SORRY to hear about the hubs. :cry: I know that's rough. Been there.

Girl! No reading instructions! I'm looking for someone to say, "Here, hold this," and "Bring that over here." That's pretty much how I see the limits to my usefulness. That and, "Are you SURE that's right?!?" Because even though I have no idea of what I'm doing, there's a very good chance that I'll realize neither do you lol. I'm very good at picking up on OTHER people's mistakes, but blind to my own. Funny how that works.

When we get to the end of it all, I'll be like, "Put a Bird On It." The very last vestige of my usefulness.

EastCoastCB 06-03-2016 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The-Breeze (Post 151170)
Too bad you didn't live here in Georgia. My hubby just died a little over a month ago & I don't have a clue either. Plus, like you, I can't just read and do it. I need someone to be there & tell me how to do it as I do it. Even watching someone doesn't seem to help, it all seems so easy till I have to do it alone.

If you were here...we could take turns reading the instructions & doing the job and learn together.

I'm no expert on anything but I can probably help you put in an ac unit if I can get up there.

The-Breeze 06-03-2016 05:17 PM

Appreciate that East Coast....I think I can handle it if I go with the quick fix of sticking it in the emergency window.

Now if your any good at running electric....I sure could use some major help there. LOL

Underground_Bear 06-03-2016 06:00 PM

Welcome...

If you can't find anyone in that area. EastCoastCB might be worth the drive. Check out their build page.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.