School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion General Discussions (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/)
-   -   2004 International (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/2004-international-15231.html)

sinapu 09-30-2016 07:31 PM

2004 International

Hey guys, I just bought a sweet rust free 2004 international 3200 from a church in South Florida, I still can't believe the deal I got and the low mileage.. Anyway, I'm going to replace the AC condenser and then move on to the trailer hitch. I'm thinking that I should get a weld on so I can increase my towing capacity. Does anyone have any insight? I can't seem to find any information on trailer hitches for these beasts! Thanks

cadillackid 09-30-2016 07:45 PM

congrats!!! be careful running tyour VT-365 hard... it can be a very good engine but if you beat on it hard you can have issues... there are all kiinds of things you can do to bulletproof that engine to ensure ot gives you good longevity..

dont get it hot, keep its oil clean always!!

-Christiopher

sinapu 09-30-2016 09:38 PM

Thanks Chris, I'm not really familiar with the engine so all the tips about it I can get the better. I'll be sure to do what you suggested, along with regular filter changes. Any ideas for a good trailer hitch?

EastCoastCB 09-30-2016 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinapu (Post 165090)
Thanks Chris, I'm not really familiar with the engine so all the tips about it I can get the better. I'll be sure to do what you suggested, along with regular filter changes. Any ideas for a good trailer hitch?

Those engines have a pretty bad reputation. Truly not trying to scare you or anything, but seriously do look into "bulletproofing" your 365 or you will be very likely to regret not doing so. Get to know the ins and outs of your machine.
Take it easy, man, and enjoy bus ownership!

freebyrd 10-01-2016 06:16 AM

Hi. Saw your post and that you are from north Conway. I live in new Boston down near manchvegas. If in area let me know. I have 2 skoolies.

sinapu 10-01-2016 10:28 AM

Hey, yes North Conway is home base but I spend most of my time on the road transporting.. What kind of Skoolies do you have?

sinapu 10-05-2016 04:41 PM

Update

Well, you guys were right.. Driving it across route 4 it overheated, I pulled over couldnt restart it even though I had compression, so I towed it to an International dealer in Daytona Beach who wants to charge me $25K for a reman engine installed the same vt365.. What a nightmare.. Does anyone have any suggestions??

cadillackid 10-05-2016 04:56 PM

wow... first off, how hot did it get? how high up on the gauge?

2nd off if you are in daytona beach right now you got worse things to worry about than a dead bus... (a hurricane)

3rd off International dealers are Notorious for quoting replacement engines even when not needed.. they should tell you exactly why they think the engine needs replaced with a written breakdown of what tests they ran to come to that conclusion..

-Christopher

cadillackid 10-05-2016 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 165091)
Those engines have a pretty bad reputation. Truly not trying to scare you or anything, but seriously do look into "bulletproofing" your 365 or you will be very likely to regret not doing so. Get to know the ins and outs of your machine.
Take it easy, man, and enjoy bus ownership!

yo east!.. clean out your mailbox! and stay safe in the hurricane..!!
-Christopher

sinapu 10-05-2016 07:27 PM

Hurricane

Not worried about MATTY, I've seen a lot worse.. It got hot all of a sudden and continued to have compression once it cooled down, so I figured I was in the clear. Do you guys know of any reputable mechanics in Daytona? I've learned too many lessons hind sight and have had enough of them. Thanks for getting back to me !