School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion General Discussions (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/)
-   -   Tint, metal wall, and the mysterious port (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/tint-metal-wall-and-the-mysterious-port-15778.html)

Alpha4005 11-17-2016 02:33 AM

Tint, metal wall, and the mysterious port

Hey guys!

I finally got some time off work to work on my build. I started working on Sunday and have finalized my basic idea and set to it. I got the seats out, the old ceiling stuff down, and stuff ready to start building.

Question 1: window tint

What kinda tint did you use? I have been looking at it and want to tint my windows for privacy reasons as well as thermal reasons. I was thinking like 5% VLT but what did you guys do? What kind of finish when viewed from the outside? Mirror? Green? Black? What do you think?

Question 2: metal walls

I have the side walls all unscrewed but I can't get the interior skin off. It's free on three sides but the top side is still on there. It's like folded back over a lip or something. Is there a trick to that or just get some gloves and apply some M x A and hope for the best?

Question 3: the mysterious port.

I found an odd plug thing on the front dash by the door that looks kinda like an Ethernet port had a baby with an USB. It has a small red blinking light when the bus is off. What is dat?

Question 4: where might be an idea to source emergency roof hatch parts. I may have yanked on the hatch a little harder than I meant to when it was in vent mode and broke the hinge plastic part.

I'm super grateful for everyone's comments and how to posts so far. This really is a kick @ss community.

Keep turning wheels.

Alpha4005

Scooternj 11-17-2016 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha4005 (Post 171756)
Question 2: metal walls

I have the side walls all unscrewed but I can't get the interior skin off. It's free on three sides but the top side is still on there. It's like folded back over a lip or something. Is there a trick to that or just get some gloves and apply some M x A and hope for the best?

They're probably tack welded under the windows. Pop the windows (which will also make tinting easier), and break the welds or cut below

Carytowncat 11-17-2016 04:31 AM

That little port is an obdll connector, or on board diagnostics. It is how you connect to read codes, sensors, etc.

:dance:

Scooternj 11-17-2016 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha4005 (Post 171756)
Question 3: the mysterious port.

I found an odd plug thing on the front dash by the door that looks kinda like an Ethernet port had a baby with an USB. It has a small red blinking light when the bus is off. What is dat?

If its not an ODBII port, pictures might help.

family wagon 11-17-2016 11:28 AM

I've been very happy with my SolarGard tint film. FYI about film and back lighting: even if you do 5% VLT "limousine" film, at night when there are lights on inside a person viewing from the outside will be able to see through to some degree. Silhouettes at the very least. It'll probably be a good idea to clarify what "privacy" means to you as far as lighting conditions and acceptable outside-to-inside view.