School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Cummins Drivetrain (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f39/)
-   -   97 8.3 53,000mls Just Died after running 3min (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f39/97-8-3-53-000mls-just-died-after-running-3min-16861.html)

my5sons 02-20-2017 02:40 PM

97 8.3 53,000mls Just Died after running 3min

HELP,
I was going to take the bus to work today to get some ideas on converting etc and started it to warm it up and after about 3 minutes it suddenly died. I don't even know where to start. I called a service company and they said try fuse, fuel filter etc. Any ideas? I think the fuses are on the drivers side panel but they don't look like fuses to me. :) Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are converting ours to go out to save lives!

cowlitzcoach 02-20-2017 04:26 PM

In order to troubleshoot we need to know a little more information.

If it is electrical issues that would require going down one road.

If it is fuel issues that would require a completely different road.

It is also important to know if what you have is a 6CT or an ISC. Electrical and fuel issues are very different for those engines.

my5sons 02-20-2017 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach (Post 186784)
In order to troubleshoot we need to know a little more information.

If it is electrical issues that would require going down one road.

If it is fuel issues that would require a completely different road.

It is also important to know if what you have is a 6CT or an ISC. Electrical and fuel issues are very different for those engines.

Thanks for your response. Its A CT. Just got in from work and I did get generator started and its on the same diesel tank. Haven't had a chance to check anything else. What other info can I give you to help point us in the right direction?

family wagon 02-20-2017 10:24 PM

It wasn't specifically stated, but I presume that after the engine died it also refused to restart? Engine cranks as it should, but just doesn't start? Make sure there's a battery charger handy; there's likely to be some engine cranking in the near future and it's much better from charged batteries rather than trying to jump start. It's better for the batteries not to be run down, too.

The fuel filter/housing should have a water drain somewhere on the bottom. You can use that to check for water, but also to verify that there's fuel being delivered into the filter. If the bus is new to you, "replace all filters" should be on the to-do list... might as well do that fuel filter now. Verify the engine has oil too.

Rameses 02-20-2017 10:47 PM

First thing I'd do is crack an injector line and hit the starter briefly. Watch for fuel while cranking it. The fact the generator runs only tells us that the tank has fuel in it. The fuel might not be making it to the cylinders though. Clogged filter, leaking fuel hose allowing air to get in, bad lift pump, any of a number of things could make the fact that the tank has fuel in it completely irrelevant. See if you're getting fuel to the injectors and then take it from there.

And yeah, put a charger on the batteries before that turns into a problem also.

Bon Voyage 02-21-2017 09:29 AM

My cummins ISB did the same thing to me; I just came out of Walmart started it up and was typing in my next location on the gps and suddenly died. Wouldn't start. Ended up having to tow it and luckily there was a cummins service dealer 7 mins away (though more unlucky now that I think of it). It took them all day to figure out it was a power wire to the injection pump and charged me for it!! Wish I'd taken it somewhere else.

Anyway yours could be a number of things. Does it smoke when turning over? If it does turn over...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my5sons 02-21-2017 11:41 PM

Thanks. I couldn't find the water drain on the fuel filter. I did get it running though. I cranked it a couple times and it spit and spudderd so I hit it with some starting fluid and it finally started. I will say I have less than a quarter of a tank of fuel maybe that has something to do with it.

my5sons 02-21-2017 11:47 PM

I don't know if it has injectors I heard that it did not. It's a 1997 CT 8.3. Please forgive me I'm not a mechanic. It should it have a pump, though? I will check on that. I really need to take it in and have the whole bus checked out but I'm waiting till we get most of the inside done. We are also going to use this for our non-profit so we are waiting on grants to hopefully.

my5sons 02-21-2017 11:48 PM

It smoked some when trying to crank it but It finally started with some starting fluid.

superdave 02-22-2017 07:07 AM

my filter/ water separator is right behind the pump. I m o I would check the motor before I put a dime into the bus.