School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion Tutorials and How-to's (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/)
-   -   How to easily remove seat bolts (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/how-to-easily-remove-seat-bolts-17950.html)

hatchetman 05-21-2017 07:15 AM

How to easily remove seat bolts

After removing the seats from my bus I thought I'd pass along a helpful method I discovered along the way.

I found that tightening the bolts with an impact driver until they break off is the easiest method. This worked for about 25% of the floor (asile) bolts and almost 100% for the rail bolts on the seats since they weren't rusted.

If the bolt spins instead of breaks then I stop and cut half way through it with the cut off wheel then used a pneumatic hammer to go the rest of the way. The pneumatic hammer is optional but if you have one it will save on cut off wheels.

I removed all of my seat bolts in about 4 hours using this method.

Robin97396 05-21-2017 09:45 AM

That's interesting. My seatbelts are attached to the seats.

I'm surprised there's that much rust inside your bus. Good that you've got your method worked out though. It sounds like there's still to many seats in the bus.

It's interesting hearing your progress because it reminds me of when I first got this bus.

It would be interesting if you could keep a record of the hours you spend working on your bus for the next couple years.

Good luck.

Iheartbus 05-21-2017 10:31 AM

That's exactly what I am doing right now. I learned the hard way that you can't just loosen without something holding the bottom bolt. I got one stuck so I tried force, and when the bolt came through and there was a hole in my bus, I never did that again! Now I just tighten by hand and most of the time they bust. I have a few that are stubborn. I've removed about 6 seats with the break method. I have never had to on the side rail though, just the floor.

hatchetman 05-21-2017 01:06 PM

None of the side rail bolts were rusty. It was just easier than loosening them. :biggrin:

Robin97396 05-21-2017 01:14 PM

On my first floor the bolts were so rusty that I was able to break them off with a pry bar.

Shambhala Tinbolle 05-21-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatchetman (Post 204959)
After removing the seats from my bus I thought I'd pass along a helpful method I discovered along the way.

I found that tightening the bolts with an impact driver until they break off is the easiest method. This worked for about 25% of the floor (asile) bolts and almost 100% for the rail bolts on the seats since they weren't rusted.

If the bolt spins instead of breaks then I stop and cut half way through it with the cut off wheel then used a pneumatic hammer to go the rest of the way. The pneumatic hammer is optional but if you have one it will save on cut off wheels.

I removed all of my seat bolts in about 4 hours using this method.

:thumb: Brilliant!! :thumb: