School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   School Bus News (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f15/)
-   -   Why we own skoolies (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f15/why-we-own-skoolies-17985.html)

WanderWoman 05-24-2017 07:37 AM

Why we own skoolies

Holy wow!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Wind blows top off camper near New Underwood | Local | rapidcityjournal.com

cadillackid 05-24-2017 07:55 AM

and ive never seen a skoolie blow over on the highway in the wind either.. ive seen 5th wheels and once a 'bounder' literally blown off the road years ago in the mountains
-Christopher

Njsurf73 05-24-2017 08:37 AM

As big and boxy as our Skoolies are, even the ones with roof raises, the mass is just greater.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bluebird90 05-24-2017 09:04 AM

That wasn't just the top blown off. That was the entire shell. There is a manufacturing defect here. The shell was not properly secured to the platform. I don't see much damage at the floor to shell joint. hardly any fasteners.

WanderWoman 05-24-2017 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebird90 (Post 205561)
That wasn't just the top blown off. That was the entire shell. There is a manufacturing defect here. The shell was not properly secured to the platform. I don't see much damage at the floor to shell joint. hardly any fasteners.

It's a big mess, that's all I know!! Can you imagine? I was totally thinking of going with a motorhome... I'm glad my research brought me to my skoolie!

Njsurf73 05-24-2017 09:26 AM

I had looked at campers too. Anything bigger than a pop-up​ and I would have to get a pickup truck. Anything really big and I would need a heavy duty pickup.
So... Used camper in the neighborhood of say 5k and then a truck to pull it at least 5k.. why not spread out the expense, have something to work on and make exactly what I want instead of settling... Oh yeah and Skoolies are cool.

EastCoastCB 05-24-2017 01:20 PM

Since 1995 I've been trying to get myself into a BUS LIFE.
Only 20 something years later, I'm about halfway there.:rofl:

WanderWoman 05-24-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Njsurf73 (Post 205567)
I had looked at campers too. Anything bigger than a pop-up​ and I would have to get a pickup truck. Anything really big and I would need a heavy duty pickup.
So... Used camper in the neighborhood of say 5k and then a truck to pull it at least 5k.. why not spread out the expense, have something to work on and make exactly what I want instead of settling... Oh yeah and Skoolies are cool.

Exactly!!! And I think I'm actually going to stay under my $10K budget :eek:
The way it's looking, I may come in under $8K!

Sandi

EastCoastCB 05-24-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderWoman (Post 205611)
Exactly!!! And I think I'm actually going to stay under my $10K budget :eek:
The way it's looking, I may come in under $8K!

Sandi

I've only got maybe $4500 in mine even after raising the roof. I doubt even that much. I should keep better track of that kinda stuff.That's NOT counting the tools I've bought but I haven't actually had to spend a ton since I've had all the time in the world to gather stuff.

PNW_Steve 05-24-2017 04:31 PM

Why we own Skoolies?

I thought it was a mental condition........ My Wife agrees......