School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion Tutorials and How-to's (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/)
-   -   Sticker removal (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/sticker-removal-18857.html)

Skipoffools 08-13-2017 11:35 PM

Sticker removal
 
I recently discovered a great tool for removing "school bus" stickers. A guy at the local auto paint store sold me an eraser disc for removing pinstripes and decals. Was slightly skeptical about it and got home put it on my cordless drill and MAN does that things work just as I was told, it erases the stickers just like a pencil eraser. Use the edge of the wheel and it comes off (without harming the paint!) with in a few passes leaving behind what looks like pencil eraser dust. I've tried sanders and chemicals but nothing beats this eraser wheel. Here's a link I found of the same product. I think 3M and a few others make them too.

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-400E-Pi...2TY?th=1&psc=1

I'm sure a few of you all know of these but I figured to pass on the info to others who are in the same boat as I, prepping for paint.

chev49 08-14-2017 12:24 AM

that is one method of removal for small stickers. doesnt work so great on equipment like the huge bobcat sticker on the back of the mini excavators, nor the huge lettering on the gradall.

Use your 4000 lb hot water pressure washer. That is what I use for all decals.

EastCoastCB 08-14-2017 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipoffools (Post 219278)
I recently discovered a great tool for removing "school bus" stickers. A guy at the local auto paint store sold me an eraser disc for removing pinstripes and decals. Was slightly skeptical about it and got home put it on my cordless drill and MAN does that things work just as I was told, it erases the stickers just like a pencil eraser. Use the edge of the wheel and it comes off (without harming the paint!) with in a few passes leaving behind what looks like pencil eraser dust. I've tried sanders and chemicals but nothing beats this eraser wheel. Here's a link I found of the same product. I think 3M and a few others make them too.

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-400E-Pi...2TY?th=1&psc=1

I'm sure a few of you all know of these but I figured to pass on the info to others who are in the same boat as I, prepping for paint.

Only way to remove some of the decals. The reflective strips on my bus wouldn't come off for anything. Till I tried one of these.

Skipoffools 08-14-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chev49 (Post 219281)
that is one method of removal for small stickers. doesnt work so great on equipment like the huge bobcat sticker on the back of the mini excavators, nor the huge lettering on the gradall.

Use your 4000 lb hot water pressure washer. That is what I use for all decals.

Good to know! Maybe when I can afford a piece of heavy equipment I'll pick up a 4000 lb hot water pressure washer. But for now the eraser wheel meets my needs.

XBUNCEX 08-23-2017 08:49 PM

Good 'ol heat gun always works for me.

chev49 08-24-2017 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipoffools (Post 219303)
Good to know! Maybe when I can afford a piece of heavy equipment I'll pick up a 4000 lb hot water pressure washer. But for now the eraser wheel meets my needs.

Is ok... if you want to make $300 for an hour or two of work, get one. I have often made 1K a day...and the pressure washers only cost around 4K... Just saying.

golfersmurf57 09-30-2017 02:43 PM

I need something that will remove the adhesive that's left after the lettering is peeled. Tried acetone, carb cleaner , pressure washing and would rather not repaint any ideas? These have been on for quite a while. Its not a bus its an astro van with company name and number from the seller. I paid for it don't want to advertise for free.


Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

EastCoastCB 09-30-2017 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 (Post 226699)
I need something that will remove the adhesive that's left after the lettering is peeled. Tried acetone, carb cleaner , pressure washing and would rather not repaint any ideas? These have been on for quite a while. Its not a bus its an astro van with company name and number from the seller. I paid for it don't want to advertise for free.


Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

One of these on a drill will do it real nice-
http://www.ecstuning.com/product_lib...al%20Wheel.jpg

verotik 03-26-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipoffools (Post 219278)
I recently discovered a great tool for removing "school bus" stickers. A guy at the local auto paint store sold me an eraser disc for removing pinstripes and decals. Was slightly skeptical about it and got home put it on my cordless drill and MAN does that things work just as I was told, it erases the stickers just like a pencil eraser. Use the edge of the wheel and it comes off (without harming the paint!) with in a few passes leaving behind what looks like pencil eraser dust. I've tried sanders and chemicals but nothing beats this eraser wheel. Here's a link I found of the same product. I think 3M and a few others make them too.

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-400E-Pi...2TY?th=1&psc=1

I'm sure a few of you all know of these but I figured to pass on the info to others who are in the same boat as I, prepping for paint.

I just wanted to post here to thank you for this tip. I ended up needing one for each set of stickers (front and back) because our bus was from Arizona, so the stickers were baked on for 18 years, but this was the only thing that worked and it looks so much better now. :Thanx:

Miles O Roads 03-26-2018 10:10 AM

Never used one of thoses wheels but heard nothing but good things. A steam jenny will remove everything make sure to use PPE and be careful with it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.