School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (
-   New Member Intros - Say Hello! (
-   -   Hello from NY (

Gmasem 03-12-2018 11:59 AM

Hello from NY
I have been on here for a little bit and wanted to say Hello. Donít have a bus yet but we are looking, holding off until we have figured out where we are going to park/store for a reasonable price. Thatís our only holdup. Storage facilities nearby have nothing available but being a rural area might find something as an alternative. Parking at home, without removing several large trees, wonít be an option. Working on it would be fine but long term would be an issue.

Found out that NY, even titled as motorhome/RV over 26k needs a CDL so hoping to find a full size bus set up as partial wheelchair because from what Iíve seen they are usually a lower GVWR. Worst case, I could use a CDL for other purposes so not a huge deal to get it. Itís me, my wife and two kids so shooting to get as much room as possible.

So glad I found the site, solid community and answers for just about everything that could possible come up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twigg 03-12-2018 12:20 PM

No, it doesn't need a CDL, even in NY.

It might need a Non-Commercial Class B, on your regular license (I haven't checked).

Gmasem 03-12-2018 12:33 PM

Did they bring the non commercial B/C back? When I was looking at the weights it just said a class B. I know they eliminated the non CDL C a while back. Regardless if Iím changing license at all I would go CDL because I occasionally could benefit from a CDL (need hazmat endorsement for side work) Would be reimbursed too. Just havenít gone back and gotten it again. Usdd to have CDL C with HazMat, until 2007, before the fingerprinting was added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNW_Steve 03-12-2018 12:40 PM

From the NY DMV:

A driver with a Class D license can now operate a personal use vehicle (for example a rental vehicle or a recreational vehicle or RV) with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less that tows another vehicle that has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more, but the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of the two vehicles together must be 26,000 lbs. or less.

Note: The requirement for an "R" endorsement (Class D or Class E license) to operate a recreational vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more remains in effect

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.