School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   International | Navistar Drivetrain (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/)
-   -   7.3 powerstroke or T444 (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/7-3-powerstroke-or-t444-22440.html)

pcdreams 05-12-2018 10:20 PM

7.3 powerstroke or T444
 
Looking at a bus and trying to figure out which it is (In theory I guess they're nearly identical)

it's a 99 international. Sticker on valve cover says 7.3L DI Turbo Diesel Navistar.

vin: 1hvbbabp1xh202340

Really still wanting a 466 but I'm getting tired of waiting too. It's been about 3 years.

johnbloem1974 05-12-2018 11:39 PM

The T444 is the 7.3 liter V8 Turbo Diesel built by Navistar.

The 7.3 Power Stroke was built by Navistar for Ford.

They are similar engines (built on the same base/platform), but are not the same.

Hope that helps....

John

cadillackid 05-13-2018 08:05 AM

if its in an international bus / truck its a T-444E.
some ofthe differences between the 444E and the Poswerstroke 7.3

Navistar mechanical cam driven fuel pump. ford electric
camshaft is different (different high torque low RPM on navistar and fuel pump lobe)
head gasket on ford is thicker than on navistar (to handle RPM)
RPM limit (444E - 2700, ford - 3200)
horsepower curve on the 444E is set to lower high end HP but good low end torque..
electronics fords uses all different computers than navistar

-Christopher

Johnny Mullet 05-13-2018 01:45 PM

I have the 7.3l T444E in my bus and don't have any complaints except it's slow, but I am fine with that. It's a great engine and pretty reliable.

xalv36963 05-31-2018 05:03 PM

I know I'm a little late on this thread but I was in the same boat. Wanted dt466, settled for t444e.

Glad I did too, mpg's are awesome ($60 bucks from Waterloo Iowa to Milwaukee Wisconsin)
Runs at 65 mph floored on flat roads.
Acceleration is perfectly fine, I'm fairly light though.
Does definitely loose speed uphill, but not terrible.

o1marc 05-31-2018 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xalv36963 (Post 272917)
I know I'm a little late on this thread but I was in the same boat. Wanted dt466, settled for t444e.

Glad I did too, mpg's are awesome ($60 bucks from Waterloo Iowa to Milwaukee Wisconsin)
Runs at 65 mph floored on flat roads.
Acceleration is perfectly fine, I'm fairly light though.
Does definitely loose speed uphill, but not terrible.

You feel it's better than the DT466?

Dog Rescuer 05-31-2018 06:41 PM

I have the T444E 7.3l Turbo diesel - 210 HP (2000 International) - I love it. It will hit 75 mph (thanks to Christopher) - but runs really nicely at 55 / 60 mph - getting about 10.5 MPG around the mountains of Montana - decent power - I have no complaints towing my Subaru.
I am rarely in a hurry to get somewhere - so there is no need to push it. I am all about enjoying the drive. :whistling:
It seems to have been geared nicely for mountain driving - so I have solid power when I need it.

hapicampr 06-17-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer (Post 272959)
I have the T444E 7.3l Turbo diesel - 210 HP (2000 International) - I love it. It will hit 75 mph (thanks to Christopher) - but runs really nicely at 55 / 60 mph - getting about 10.5 MPG around the mountains of Montana - decent power - I have no complaints towing my Subaru.
I am rarely in a hurry to get somewhere - so there is no need to push it. I am all about enjoying the drive. :whistling:
It seems to have been geared nicely for mountain driving - so I have solid power when I need it.


So, prey tell...what did Christopher do or suggest that you are happy with?

as I have the same bus and I'm just a newbie looking to learn what would be best for me to try and do for her

brokedown 06-17-2018 04:57 PM

Christopher likely upped the electric speed limiter, he did the same on my bus.. He also enabled my cruise control (Thanks!) but to be honest the speed limit increase only matters going down hills!

Dog Rescuer 06-17-2018 07:03 PM

That is very true - I rarely get to 60mph except going downhill!


Quote:

Originally Posted by brokedown (Post 275821)
Christopher likely upped the electric speed limiter, he did the same on my bus.. He also enabled my cruise control (Thanks!) but to be honest the speed limit increase only matters going down hills!



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.