School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion General Discussions (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/)
-   -   how to get this insulation out? (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/how-to-get-this-insulation-out-23955.html)

olives 08-22-2018 11:10 AM

how to get this insulation out?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi folks,

In taking out the wall panels and old insulation, there is a long white painted panel below the regular galvanized steel wall panels (just above the floor) that looks more difficult to remove. There is insulation behind it. Just above that insulation is a row of screws (not viewable in the photos; hiding behind/below the green stripe at the top of the panel) that seems to attach a rub rail to the outside of the bus. We don’t want to mess with the rub rails since removing screws that hold that on seems to be asking for leaks.

How do we get that insulation out?

Is that big panel indeed part of the main bus frame as it looks, and not removable, or is it removable? If we can remove it, how do we go about that?

Thanks!

o1marc 08-22-2018 11:41 AM

What you are referring to is the chair rail, it is structural and should not be removed. Is it not just batt insulation? On mine the pieces came out whole. Use a coat hanger hook or something to get the rest.

BigBlue 08-22-2018 12:13 PM

I second the coat hanger hook! Also a shop vac shoved down the crevice can grab big clumps up. We also used one of those claw grabber things and it worked REALLY well. It’s a tedious process that’s for sure!

PNW_Steve 08-22-2018 01:41 PM

Ditto on the coat hanger and shopvac.

olives 08-23-2018 10:31 AM

Thanks to each of you for the advice! My husband (who is pulling the insulation - I post to this forum and look after the children :P ) really likes the coat hanger idea.

To answer you, o1marc - yeah, it seems to be the regular fiberglass batt insulation, but the bottom piece behind the chair rail is separate from the part behind the panel, and seems to be semi-blocked by screws going through. Will try coat hanger.

When you reinsulate, do you push new insulation down into that gap, or do you just leave that part empty and insulate on the interior side of the chair rail?

olives 08-23-2018 10:33 AM

Shop vac and claw grabber thing sound like great ideas too. Do you know what either of those is formally called (or links to such) so that we can find the right thing? I imagine a shop vac is some sort of vacuum cleaner with attachment for crevices...?

Thanks!

o1marc 08-23-2018 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olives (Post 287613)
Thanks to each of you for the advice! My husband (who is pulling the insulation - I post to this forum and look after the children :P ) really likes the coat hanger idea.

To answer you, o1marc - yeah, it seems to be the regular fiberglass batt insulation, but the bottom piece behind the chair rail is separate from the part behind the panel, and seems to be semi-blocked by screws going through. Will try coat hanger.

When you reinsulate, do you push new insulation down into that gap, or do you just leave that part empty and insulate on the interior side of the chair rail?

If you can't get rigid board insulation that cavity, some will shoot spray foam down there to fill the gap first, then add the rigid above the screw line. A shop vac is just that, a vacuum made for shop use, usually more heavy duty than your home vacuum. but your home vacuum with a hose and nozzle attachment will work also. Probably better because the hose is smaller.

BigBlue 08-23-2018 11:44 AM

The “claw grabber” I was referring to is officially called a “E-Z Reacher 40-in Pick-Up Tool”. Helped us get past those pesky screws in the way!

olives 08-23-2018 12:08 PM

Excellent. Thank you for the advice and details!

mikeypj 08-23-2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olives (Post 287419)
Hi folks,

In taking out the wall panels and old insulation, there is a long white painted panel below the regular galvanized steel wall panels (just above the floor) that looks more difficult to remove. There is insulation behind it. Just above that insulation is a row of screws (not viewable in the photos; hiding behind/below the green stripe at the top of the panel) that seems to attach a rub rail to the outside of the bus. We don’t want to mess with the rub rails since removing screws that hold that on seems to be asking for leaks.

How do we get that insulation out?

Is that big panel indeed part of the main bus frame as it looks, and not removable, or is it removable? If we can remove it, how do we go about that?

Thanks!

Perfect timing on this question. I was just looking at that rub rail wondering how to get it out..noticed all the shoe scuff marks..lol