School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion Tutorials and How-to's (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/)
-   -   Rubber flooring (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/rubber-flooring-24097.html)

mikeypj 09-02-2018 08:46 PM

Rubber flooring

Im at the stage of tearing out the floor. Any advice on removing it..remove the rubber then the plywood but how is the question.

1olfart 09-02-2018 10:37 PM

I like the "floor jack" method. Get an edge of the plywood up enough to get a floor jack under it (a 2x4 or two might asset you} and go to town. (no old joke reference intended) This can make the job quicker, and easier.

mikeypj 09-03-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1olfart (Post 289145)
I like the "floor jack" method. Get an edge of the plywood up enough to get a floor jack under it (a 2x4 or two might asset you} and go to town. (no old joke reference intended) This can make the job quicker, and easier.

Tear off the plywood and rubber at the same time then?

brokedown 09-03-2018 10:13 AM

Depends on the condition of it all. In my new bus, it was so bad that the rubber wasn't really stuck to the wood any more, so pulling that up was really simple. Then the plywood was just crumbling apart and I was pulling it up by the handful.

mikeypj 09-03-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokedown (Post 289165)
Depends on the condition of it all. In my new bus, it was so bad that the rubber wasn't really stuck to the wood any more, so pulling that up was really simple. Then the plywood was just crumbling apart and I was pulling it up by the handful.

Ive pulled some of the rubber up around fender well. It was stuck pretty good..ive got all that trim to rip out then see if I can pull it up..i wasnt sure if pulling it up together would make a pain in the A$$ job worser..hope for the best but expect the worst!

1olfart 09-04-2018 06:51 PM

Like Brokedown said, IF the plywood is I good enough condition, take em both out at the same time. You'll have plenty of time to make up the time you save, on several other project. Since the rubber has developed "an attitude" I say get that stuff out asap.

mikeypj 09-04-2018 07:12 PM

Pulled up a big patch of rubber, the wood is shot. We've had a week solid of heavy rains and the wood is showing me where the water is..its just crumbles in spots. Hoping for the best and expecting the worst when I tear into it..

brokedown 09-04-2018 07:34 PM

Once the air hits it, that wet metal floor is going to start rusting in a hurry.

EastCoastCB 09-04-2018 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokedown (Post 289308)
Once the air hits it, that wet metal floor is going to start rusting in a hurry.

Yeah its always a good idea to mop the floor with ospho or something similar once the metal is exposed. Even if its pristine the phosphoric acid will etch the galvanizing and make the paint stick to it really well.

Tango 09-05-2018 08:36 AM

This...

is why anyone considering a build out should rip up their floor before doing much else. Good start bud. And definitely use a rust treatment before painting. And those rust patterns also give you an idea as to which windows leaked the worse.