School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/)
-   -   HELP I bought a bus! (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/help-i-bought-a-bus-2418.html)

dentarthurdent 11-15-2007 04:52 AM

HELP I bought a bus!

Hi all:

It appears that I have just bought a bus. It's a '90 Bluebird All American 84 pax RE with a Cummins 8.3 and MT643. It's in Pasadena, CA and I am in Oklahoma. Soooo.. I need all the advice I can get for my "go get the bus" trip. I will fly to LAX (I have lots of miles from biz travel) and drive it home - approx 1350 miles. I think I'll ask my brother-in-law if he'd like to go to help with driving. Anyway, any suggestions about what I need to get done before the trip or during the trip would be *really* appreciated. I've really enjoyed reading this site and I am very much looking forward to the conversion adventure.

thx alot!! - Tony

DizzyIzzy 11-15-2007 08:15 AM

Re: HELP I bought a bus!

Call GMAC and insure it first

pete c 11-15-2007 11:23 AM

sounds like a sweet bus. how many miles on it and if you don't mind my asking, what did it cost? if you'd rather not say, that's fine.

dentarthurdent 11-15-2007 12:16 PM

It has 206K and I got it for $3,700 - I think it's a pretty good deal.

I now have insurance with GMAC (they beat the pants off of Progressive) and I joined Good Sam and their emergency roadside service.

Any more suggestions or advice are def welcomed! I am really excited about getting it and hope I don't forget something obvious.. :-)

thx again - Tony

pete c 11-15-2007 12:35 PM

sounds like a good price. you have what some consider to be the holy grail of drivetrains. that big cummins ought to have alot of life left in it. same with that trannie. good luck. just bring plenty of money for diesel!!! you'll buy a few gallons getting that monster home.

dentarthurdent 11-15-2007 12:43 PM

yeah no kidding on the fuel.. :-)

I have arranged to have it inspected and serviced by a shop there in CA for my drive home. The seller is replacing one tire but it sounds like everything is in good shape otherwise.

KC10Chief 11-15-2007 09:53 PM

WOO HOO! Another Oklahoma skoolie! Where in Oklahoma do you live? I'm in Oklahoma City. There's really not much you can do before you start driving home. Just give it a good look over. I'd take it for a drive before you hand the money over. Make sure it's not over heating, your tires aren't separated and drives fine down the road. That sounds like a nice bus. Excellent motor and tranny! I'm jealous. If you're in the OKC area, I'd be happy to come over and help you gut that baby. I've got an angle grinder! :D I'm not too bad at painting either.

dentarthurdent 11-16-2007 02:36 AM

My nephew and I made it to LA tonight. The shop here serviced the engine, inspected the bus, replaced a serpentine belt, and lubed it up today. Tomorrow AM they are replacing one of the inner dual tires on the rear, then we should be ready to hit the road. We both have obligations back in Oklahoma on Sunday so hopefully the drive home goes smoothly... :-)

Matt - I live near Route 66 and Luther. I work at my home office, but we do our shopping, etc in Edmond. Have you seen Pops in Arcadia yet? I frequent there on the way to the city - very cool place.

dlor1 11-16-2007 08:02 AM

Good Luck!

KC10Chief 11-16-2007 12:58 PM

I've been to Pops in Arcadia before. I sometimes head out that way and fly my powered paraglider around Luther. Maybe you've seen me out there flying around. My mom lives in Edmond. I'm stationed down the road from you at Tinker. I live on the base as well. I'd sure like to check out your bus when you get it here! Here's a video I shot a couple of months ago from my paraglider. It's the Arcadia, Luther and Edmond area. You can see Pop's, the Round Barn, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbN7bBTosjY