School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   International | Navistar Drivetrain (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/)
-   -   Starter fluid (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/starter-fluid-25239.html)

adic27 12-23-2018 04:29 PM

Starter fluid

Im about to use some starter fluid to start my 98 international dt466e. Someone did this for me after fter i got my bus towed and after the batteries died out from sitting i guess, i got new ones but the engine wouldn't start. He sprayed ether under the hood and that worked.

Well, that was last year. I had a oil leak where I store my bus and again from sitting the batteries died down and eventually all the way out. The leak is fixed and i got brand new batteries. The bus engine stalled a bit after putting in the new batteries but it started. That was a few days ago.

Today it started twice but both times only for about 5 seconds. Now it just spins but wont turn over. I got some starter fluid from autozone. I don't know if its the same as ether or what the guy used before but on the. Back it says "DO NOT USE IN DIESEL ENGINES WITH GLOW PLUGS".

Does my bus have glow plugs? Or all diesel engines?

Is this spray a bad idea?

BlackJohn 12-23-2018 05:21 PM

There are likely other reasons your bus isn't starting. Charge those batteries back up again individually. That should start no problem where you are without ether.
Don't know if you got glow plugs. Someone else may confirm that.

If you have a grid heater do NOT use ether. Big mistake.
The briefest of an ether spray is lots to start with but give a few seconds for it to move to the combustion area. You may want to stand back and turn your face away if you make a mistake on which heaters you have or don't have.
Dangerous stuff and not good for internal parts so try and find other reasons for not starting. Loss of prime etc..
Any white smoke as you crank coming from the tailpipe?

John

adic27 12-23-2018 07:49 PM

I sprayed the starter fluid in the intake (a little) and that worked! Batteries were brand new. I knew that wasn't the problem. Hopefully I'm good now. Gonna start it every other day.

Iceni John 12-23-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adic27 (Post 302181)
I sprayed the starter fluid in the intake (a little) and that worked! Batteries were brand new. I knew that wasn't the problem. Hopefully I'm good now. Gonna start it every other day.

If you're not going to drive it hard for at least 15 minutes or so, don't! Just starting a big diesel for no good reason is worse than not starting it at all. Frequent cold-starting and idling is the single worst thing you can do to it. There have been several previous posts about this.

Ether is for very rare emergencies only, not for routine use. If your engine doesn't start on the first few turns of the crank, something's not right, and you need to find out why. Ether only masks symptoms of underlying problems, but it doesn't solve anything.

John

TJones 12-23-2018 11:46 PM

You likely have a fuel problem from the bus sitting. The fuel filters could have plugged up with gunk from your fuel or lost prime between the filters and the tank. The fuel filters should replaced and primed. I don't know the exact procedure for priming a DT466E but I'm sure some one here can explain it. If the fuel from the filters look really bad you may want to drain your tank and refill with fresh diesel. You could also have a leak in your fuel line that is letting air into the system.

Ted

o1marc 12-24-2018 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 302190)
You likely have a fuel problem from the bus sitting. The fuel filters could have plugged up with gunk from your fuel or lost prime between the filters and the tank. The fuel filters should replaced and primed. I don't know the exact procedure for priming a DT466E but I'm sure some one here can explain it. If the fuel from the filters look really bad you may want to drain your tank and refill with fresh diesel. You could also have a leak in your fuel line that is letting air into the system.

Ted

The DT466E has a plunger primer located right behind the filter on the drivers side of the motor. Pump it a gazillion times.Mine is parked on a grade and fuels flowed back to the tank and wouldn't start. I put another 10 gallons in to see if that helped only to run into an interlock issue with the rear door to fix before seeing if it will start. Starting fluid is used more often with carbureted engines than with fuel injection systems. Caution is required when using starting fluid with diesel engines that have preheat systems in the intake or glow-plugs installed, as the starting fluid may pre-ignite, leading to engine damage.

Jolly Roger bus 223 12-24-2018 02:04 PM

Starting fluid/ether is like crack/cocaine to a diesel once you start using often it gets addicted to it and won't start without it.
Regular old gas in a squirt bottle will do the same trick and is a lot softer medicine to start a diesel until you can find and fix the real issue.
In my mind if it's starts and runs for 5-seconds and cuts off then you aren't getting fuel.
Could be many things but more than likely a fuel solenoid,fuel pump,FILTERS, LOSS OF PRIME is usually a fuel hose or a connection but could also be a bad seal placement on the fuel filter thereselves.
You can pressurize the tank with an air compressor or nitrogen bottle by wrapping a rag around the hose that fits the tank fill neck to force the fuel up into the lines and find any and all leaks and if need be that process can help bleed injector lines without killing your starter and battery.
I don't know your engine but I can almost guarantee you have a fuel related issue whether electric solenoid or probably fuel lines or something related because of loss of prime while sitting.
Good luck

PNW_Steve 12-24-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 (Post 302236)
Regular old gas in a squirt bottle will do the same trick and is a lot softer medicine to start a diesel until you can find and fix the real issue.

I can vouch for the effectiveness.

I can also tell you about having a family member LifeFlight'ed to Harborview in Seattle with severe burns from the mishap that followed.

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!